PDA

View Full Version : Can you eat fish from Brisbane River and surrounding estuaries?

WertzGoldCoast
17-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Hi all

Just moved to Brissy and was wondering if fish can be eaten from the estuaries and Brisbane river?

Also, crabs and prawns.

I have heard different things from different people so any help is appreciated.

gruntahunta
17-01-2014, 11:57 AM
I have eaten crabs and fish out of the Brisbane River and surrounding estuaries all my life...raised 2 perfectly healthy and intelligent children... so my answer from my experience is absolutely yes.

The Brisbane River has a huge tidal flow out to and back in from the Bay, massive water movement. The murky colour was caused by dredging and concrete companies used to be able to dredge for gravel and stirred it up big time.

WertzGoldCoast
17-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Great news! Looking forward to the weekend! Thanks for the reply.

snapperbasher
17-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Yep ive been eating fish and crabs out of the river all my life....nothing wrong with my children either...see...99717

Still_Dreamin
17-01-2014, 12:29 PM
Yep no problem from the lower reaches not sure about story bridge and west.

Louis
17-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Good Queston.

I don't know.

But I have lived in Brisbane all my life and been eating fish from the river on a regular basis.

Is it healthy do so? I suspect not.

But the way I look at it, just modern living is unhealthy with all the air polution and the types of food we eat these days.

Louis

WertzGoldCoast
17-01-2014, 02:20 PM
Exactly Louis, some people try to tell me that drinking more than 3 beers in a sitting is bad for your health as well and they are just plain wrong.

Crunchy
17-01-2014, 04:39 PM
I went up to my thighs in Brissy river mud a while ago at Pinkenba boat ramp, within minutes my skin started to itch and I could feel a slight burning sensation so personally I won't eat anything from the river. There must be decades worth of heavy metals, industrial chemicals, pesticides, fertiliser runoff and so forth in there which must go up through the food chain. But that's just me, I don't eat Thai prawns (Their prawn farming practices are none too good) or anything knowingly sourced from China either, perhaps I'm just a bit fussy....

Watto79
21-01-2014, 04:21 PM
"There must be decades worth of heavy metals, industrial chemicals, pesticides, fertiliser runoff and so forth in there which must go up through the food chain"

So don't eat anything from Moreton Bay and surrounds?

It gets run off from lots of areas which contain all of the above?

I am with Louis, just about everything you do these days is claimed "unhealthy" by someone at some stage, then a few years down the track someone else comes along and says that what they said back then isn't the case (how many times have you heard that?!)

If you spend all your life worrying about things, you will never do anything and that ain't living!

I am sure alot of the fish, crabs, prawns and other seafood you eat in/from shops and restaraunts are sourced from less desirable places than the brissy river so I think you will be fine my friend... or at least no worse off!

wrip109
21-01-2014, 05:02 PM
Has done me and my family no harm at all. I have three kids(one of each)
;D

PixieAU
21-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Has done me and my family no harm at all. I have three kids(one of each)
;D
boom-tish!

Horse
21-01-2014, 09:50 PM
The lower Brisbane River scores a D+ in terms of water quality. My personal choice is not to feed fish or Crabs from this area to my family. Everyone is free to make their own choice on he matter

Mike Delisser
21-01-2014, 10:30 PM
I once caught a couple of squire at Mud then picked up another Clara Rock in the river on the way home. It tasted fine but I must admit it did taste a little different to the others.

What I've also noticed though is a pro crabber running his pots in the Brizzy River. I've seen him clearing them a few times, definitely a pro, long open boat with rego numbers on a yellow background, pots are set from New Farm up to the Uni at St Lucia with no markings on the floats. I bet most of his customers don't realize were their crabs are coming from.

PeterKroll
22-01-2014, 12:05 PM
I have always eaten bream from Pinkenba sunken wall. I also used to fish the Pin for bream. Never noticed any difference in taste between the two localities. I almost always fished an incoming tide in the river, so I thought that most of the bream would come in with the tide. In any case, there's a hell of a lot of water coming in from the bay as the tide comes in. I would expect it to give the lower reaches a good flush as the tide comes in (yes, I'm aware of the irony of flushing regarding Luggage Point).

4x4frog
22-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Can't see a problem either.
Used to eat whiting and bream from the lower reaches around Luggage point and the rock wall and never had any issues ever.
Have eaten quite a few crabs from that area over the years too.

rosco1974
22-01-2014, 06:48 PM
quiet an interesting read this one especially on the crabs at onetime or another sand and mudcrabs more than likely go through he river a some stage of there life...sandcrabs normally come through the top end near bribie down the bay into the river through the boat passage and out into the front of manly,another way is through the spb and floods the bay or through the pin bar and head north and south,now these crabs travel a lot and would nearly swear at some stage they will swim in the river/river mouth at some stage of there life..so are you fellas not eating any crabs in moreton bay and surrounds any more as there is a good chance they been in the river at some part of there life..i recon not.been eating plenty from the river over the years and have never been sick once.
just my opinion
cheers rosco

gr hilly
22-01-2014, 07:23 PM
After a six pack they all taste the same i,ve been told.

timddo
22-01-2014, 07:39 PM
quiet an interesting read this one especially on the crabs at onetime or another sand and mudcrabs more than likely go through he river a some stage of there life...sandcrabs normally come through the top end near bribie down the bay into the river through the boat passage and out into the front of manly,another way is through the spb and floods the bay or through the pin bar and head north and south,now these crabs travel a lot and would nearly swear at some stage they will swim in the river/river mouth at some stage of there life..so are you fellas not eating any crabs in moreton bay and surrounds any more as there is a good chance they been in the river at some part of there life..i recon not.been eating plenty from the river over the years and have never been sick once.
just my opinion
cheers rosco

rosco

i have noticed your eyes glow brighter and your beer drinking ability has decreased. Must be those sandies. Lol

rosco1974
22-01-2014, 07:45 PM
yeah tim but I havnt had a beer tonite...

death_ship
22-01-2014, 07:47 PM
I would definitely draw the line at a bream caught near the shit pipe at luggage point

dec0guy
22-01-2014, 08:32 PM
Mate of mine just did a phd on river quality water in numerous places and when I asked him he says he would never eat anything caught in the Brisbane river

Damned67
22-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Mate of mine just did a phd on river quality water in numerous places and when I asked him he says he would never eat anything caught in the Brisbane river

Not that I'm disagreeing with this statement.... But with the tidal flow in and out of the river, where do you draw the line?
To some extent, what ever is coming out of the river is 'infecting' the bay (granted it may be more diluted in the bay), so even excluding any suggestion that some fish may move in and out of the bay/river, where do we draw the line?
Again, this isn't a criticism of the above statement, but how much safer is a fish caught at, say, Mud Island compared to the mouth of the river?

snapperbasher
22-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Rather eat fish out of the river than eat Basa..... Or any imported seafood for that matter.

each to their own I guess but personally I think the river is in a pretty good state and don't have any problems eating fish or crabs caught there.

kingcray
23-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Yep ive been eating fish and crabs out of the river all my life....nothing wrong with my children either...see...99717

mate your missus wouldnt be a snapper would she?

I caught the flatty in my avatar and several others right next to luggage pt poo shute. No noticeably different taste, all bloody awesome

Watto79
23-01-2014, 12:25 PM
"Mate of mine just did a phd on river quality water in numerous places and when I asked him he says he would never eat anything caught in the Brisbane river"

Comparing the water quality to where?

With the volume of water that flows in and out and the fact that most fish, crabs, prawns (seafood) swim and move around both seasonally and due to many factors I cannot see it being a massive issue comparing it with other areas around Brisbane..

Just my thoughts..

snapperbasher
23-01-2014, 01:06 PM
mate your missus wouldnt be a snapper would she?

I caught the flatty in my avatar and several others right next to luggage pt poo shute. No noticeably different taste, all bloody awesome

If that were the case my name would be snapperooter:P not snapperbasher...;D

PeterKroll
23-01-2014, 04:08 PM
They've all looked healthy. This one was especially tasty.

timddo
23-01-2014, 04:55 PM
They've all looked healthy. This one was especially tasty.

Peter

We caught Legal size river jew using the above as live bait

Crunchy
23-01-2014, 06:51 PM
Due to current weather conditions I hereby extend my self imposed ban from eating seafood from the Brisbane river and its entrance to include the greater part of Western Moreton Bay. An exception currently exists for the Eastern Bay for a 10Km area extending from the shoreline of Moreton Island. The Eastern area will be reviewed if the current weather pattern persists.