PDA

View Full Version : Maaroom Boat Ramp /Crabbing

NEW HORIZONS
15-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Planning a trip to Maaroom ,can any member advise conditons at he boat ramp,is it a all tides ramp? Also any hints re local crabbing would be appreciated

Cheers

New Horizons

Chong
15-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Ramp is in top condition, new pontoon, can launch on all tides but getting out of creek at low is tricky, lots mud/sand bars.
Crabs like bait, u need pots LOL, pro's are working it hard but they will be around after the moon.
Cheers

NEW HORIZONS
15-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks Chong, how much tide is needed to get out into the straights

NEW HORIZONS

Chong
15-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Depends on the size of your rig, i think sat is a .7m low @ 6am ish and 3.1m high midday, u should be able to get out pretty early in 4m +- tinnie close to bottom tide, dont cut the crns of channel or u go from 1m to .1m very quickly....

Sheik
18-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Depends on the size of your rig, i think sat is a .7m low @ 6am ish and 3.1m high midday, u should be able to get out pretty early in 4m +- tinnie close to bottom tide, dont cut the crns of channel or u go from 1m to .1m very quickly....
Yep, agree with that Chong. We've dug some contour banks across those flats. If you have the chance, go out at half to 3/4 out with your GPS on, and follow that back in. Pushing a tinny through the stingrays isn't much fun. Nice short trip across to Figtree and Fraser from Maaroom though. Not much up the creek but is some structure and there are good fish up there at times... Chong? You agree?

Chong
20-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Roger and 10/4..:)

Apollo
21-01-2014, 09:21 AM
I have pinned some very good lizards and jacks well up that creek. Also good whiting and lizard near the channel markers on a dropping tide.

nathan dumschat
21-01-2014, 10:08 AM
I have pinned some very good lizards and jacks well up that creek. Also good whiting and lizard near the channel markers on a dropping tide.

Once out side the creek if the tide is low there is a huge sand bank which runs back towards Boonaroo. I launch from Boonaroo these days if fishing the straights. Dont overlook Maroom Creek as there are some nice fish in this system but its closed season for one of them at the moment

Cheers Nathan

Deelirious
22-01-2014, 06:10 AM
Make sure you pack some insect repellent and wear long clothes :)

NEW HORIZONS
06-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks to all for your replies ,some good info there looks like I will be going in March , open season (thanks Nathan ) after the moon (thanks Chong )will pack plenty of Bushmans , been to Poona recently ( thanks Delirious ) and my favourite flathead and jack lures and my GPS ( thanks Apollo and Sheik )

I will post my post trip report

Any hints on the best spots to set my pots

Cheers NEW HORIZONS

NEW HORIZONS
05-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Better late than never , as promised my post trip report.

Our group of six had our maiden trip t Maroom in March ,we stayed 4 nights and we had 3 boats We managed to catch apx 40 legal bucks which we were very happy with considering it was our first trip to the area.

The tides only allow for one trip out to the straights daily and it was common to find the pots empty no crabs no bait after a overnight soak ,it was a learning experience you need good pro style pots and shiploads of bait . Also caught some good prawns up the creek in the cast nets , need a smallish tinny as the creek is very shallow and full of snags and various debris , we tore holes in both our cast nets.
Found the fishing hard going in the straights with very little rewards for our efforts
Fairly windy for most of the trip but I guess it helped with the mozzies and sandflies which weren't too bad

Thank again to all those who gave us the pre trip insight

Cheers Terry
All in all we had a memorable trip and plan to return in Feburary next year better prepared and a little more experienced

bazza65
05-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the report Terry. I hope to get up there before Xmas.
bazza

Sheik
05-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Yep, thanks Terry it's not a bad spot really all things considered. And no crowds!!

NEW HORIZONS
07-08-2014, 06:58 AM
Bazza,

Forgot to mention a chartplotter comes in very handy, if you are heading north it would be easy to get lost in the maze of channels

Cheers Terry