PDA

View Full Version : Weather warnings over the radio?

Ozwatson
07-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Hi all, spent the day in southern Moreton Bay yesterday. Our first real boating experience! 5.3m plate aluminium - heavy sucker. First surprise was how much fuel we chewed through. From Redland Bay down to Jumpinpin with a bit of tubing along the way and we were down to half a tank. Crikey! Went into Horizon Shores for a fill up and $100 later we were on our way again. Had a great time and the day improved from a fairly cloudy start.

Got back to the ramp about 3.30 and on the trailer and noticed the sky looking a bit angry. Checked the BOM radar and saw a bit of weather heading our way so got going. Storm hit us around Viccy Point - man I have never driven through rain like that. Black as night, wipers full and doing nothing, wind blowing trees around. And 1.2 tonne of boat on the back. At least it got a wash.

But now to my real question. We had the radio on scan the whole day. Heard the occasional call from/to VMR but not much else. But when I started thinking about what would have happened if we got caught out on the water when that storm hit, I wondered why we didn't hear any storm warnings over the radio? Doesn't VMR issue weather alerts? Or maybe the radio wasn't scanning through the right channels.

Anyway, had a great time and learnt a valuable lesson about watching the weather (thankfully not the hard way). I think the smoke from Straddie was masking the dark clouds or we would have seen them earlier but still no excuse if we got caught in it.

cheers
Andrew

Chimo
07-01-2014, 05:59 PM
Hi Andrew

What size motor do you have?

That storm did appear quickly but given the build up and humidity it was bound to happen. Trouble is your never sure where, but as a skipper you have to have a plan for when things go pear shaped even if that plan just means you hold position with you bow into the wind and waves. I guess thats why IMHO a cuddy or walk around cabin is the go if there are family ie kids and partner aboard and not just your self.

Cheers
Chimo

PS Glad you avoided the excitement except for the road.

Ozwatson
07-01-2014, 06:49 PM
Hi Andrew

What size motor do you have?

115hp ETEC. Boat was a hire as we are still sussing out what sort of boat we might want. Interesting after a day with the tube I think the kids are over it already! Asked them today and they both said rolling down the sand hills was the best part.

Andrew

Chimo
07-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Andrew

They are a good motor, I have 2 of them.

How old are the kids?

Still_Dreamin
07-01-2014, 07:39 PM
115hp ETEC. Boat was a hire as we are still sussing out what sort of boat we might want. Interesting after a day with the tube I think the kids are over it already! Asked them today and they both said rolling down the sand hills was the best part.

Andrew
to be honest hiring is probably the way to go. I bought a boat nearly two years ago and would have been cheaper to hire

stevej
07-01-2014, 07:43 PM
how big is the tank you fuel usage may have been fine

half a tank means nothing

Ozwatson
07-01-2014, 09:01 PM
To the other point, do weather warnings normally get broadcast over the radio?

Chimo
07-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Seaway Tower at Southport has regular weather sceds but para 2 in post 2 still applies as does when in doubt pull out

captain rednut
07-01-2014, 09:28 PM
My understanding from what i have been told that the vmr and coast gaurd are not allowed to issue storm warnings voluntarily unless you ask only.
very strange but its the world we live in these days fearing being sued.
cr

bigjimg
07-01-2014, 10:11 PM
If you do get caught don't panic. Just remove all rods from holders and lay on the floor, keep the family down low inside the cab and just hold bow into wind and waves.Let the storm blow over the top of you an once it passes
continue on your merry way. Alternatively give the Coast Guard or VMR a call and ask for the weather report, they're only too happy to provide you with the current up to date report.Jim

BGG
08-01-2014, 06:14 AM
Andrew
I was waiting for a ferry and watched you come in (I think it was you). I thought at the timethat you were just in time. Why not subscribe to the BCC SMS weather alert system? it's free and might save you some grief. Go to http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/community/community-safety/disasters-and-emergencies/severe-weather-alerts/index.htm?utm_source=corphome&utm_medium=mega_nav&utm_term=-&utm_content=image-version&utm_campaign=mega_c_cs_severe_weather_alerts

lee8sec
08-01-2014, 07:11 AM
I use https://www.facebook.com/early.warning.network or http://www.ewn.com.au/
They email or facebook message alerts. They also have mobile app's, they where free, now cost for the text warnings, not shore on the apps. Leigh

Jsmfun
08-01-2014, 09:10 AM
get the text message app it lets you know predicted direction of the storm or storms and you get about 1 hours notice to make a decision to head home or stay out