PDA

View Full Version : Solo launch and retrieval

Jsmfun
06-01-2014, 05:27 PM
Has anyone seen the. KATCHYA system has anyone used one on a 2 ton boat

Sami12
06-01-2014, 06:17 PM
http://katchya.com.au/ 359.00 bit steep? looks good though.

hakuna
06-01-2014, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't drive up the ramp without a safety chain
i have used boat latch system for 4 years now with no problems as alternative
note the trailer in the video is too deep in water if self driving on, works if no current sideways but ane current you will come to grief over the side rollers
My boat 2.5 tonne

cheers

peter

Jsmfun
06-01-2014, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't drive up the ramp without a safety chain
i have used boat latch system for 4 years now with no problems as alternative
note the trailer in the video is too deep in water if self driving on, works if no current sideways but ane current you will come to grief over the side rollers
My boat 2.5 tonne

cheers

peterjust a quick question do you leave the safety chain on when launching ?
also when reversing down the ramp has your boat ever come forward and released as the YouTube video looks like it's a little bit of forward momentum to release sorry for the questions but I need to make a decision ASAP

hakuna
06-01-2014, 07:36 PM
I release winch and safety chain and lock into latch after backing down, secure before driving up
2.5 t boat embarrassing and costly for the sake of getting feet wet
had a mate with similar system, not same on a 8 m cat, sat it down half way down the ramp
kindly reminder

cheers

peter

rexaway123
06-01-2014, 08:18 PM
the boat CATCH you just release pull line with no effort and then give quick pump in reverse and boat is off. The boat latch and barcatch etc designs need you to drive forward back up hill against car to take load off them so then they can swing down before you can THEN reverse pull back of trailer. you can see on their demo videos on their websites what i mean
I always leave chain on both up and down ramp eventho they guarrantee no need with boatcatch and I agree it is a positive locking system unlike others, but I aint gonna be that guy on youtube and the replacement aint gonna be any good with your boat on the concrete for sake of 3 secs effort. that my 2 cents for my 3T noosacat

Jsmfun
06-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Ouch that would have been a downer to the day thanks for the info I don't mind getting my feet wet

tenzing
06-01-2014, 10:33 PM
http://katchya.com.au/ 359.00 bit steep? looks good though.

What I took from that video is just how desperately that ramp needs 4 months of work done on it. What a mess!

deckie
06-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Just cant see why exactly there would be any benefit to solo launch/retrieve..and why cant the bloke in the video get out of his tow vehicle and get his precious widdle toes wet ?

outta line
07-01-2014, 06:37 AM
I have the L&R latch and love it would not have another boat without one .and always hook/unhook the safety chain. The katcha looks like it would be just as good .. what brand of trailer do you have? neither of these latches will work with a T shaped winch post and will need to be changed to a Y shaped winch post to be able to use this kind of latch... cheers mick

Moonlighter
07-01-2014, 06:48 AM
Google the Surtees boat catch and watch the videos. Maybe they could make something similar for your new boat. It is simplicity itself and I can attest to the fact it works a treat.

cheers

ML

Jsmfun
07-01-2014, 08:47 AM
I have the L&R latch and love it would not have another boat without one .and always hook/unhook the safety chain. The katcha looks like it would be just as good .. what brand of trailer do you have? neither of these latches will work with a T shaped winch post and will need to be changed to a Y shaped winch post to be able to use this kind of latch... cheers mick hi mick it's a dunbier multi roller. sorry for sounding silly what do you meen by y shaped the post on my traler is at a angle

Vitamin Sea
07-01-2014, 09:11 AM
hi mick it's a dunbier multi roller. sorry for sounding silly what do you meen by y shaped the post on my traler is at a angle

I had a boat latch on a Dunbier trailer with the last boat, no problems there. I always leave the safety chain on both putting in and taking out.

Still_Dreamin
07-01-2014, 11:17 AM
I had a boat latch on a Dunbier trailer with the last boat, no problems there. I always leave the safety chain on both putting in and taking out.

Another one here. I have a dunbier with the l&r latch and works no problems. I also leave the chain on until the trailer is in the water. If solo, I undo chain just before I climb through the hatch, if I am with deckie they reverse in then come and undo chain. Performed in the reverse order when coming home.

outta line
07-01-2014, 04:54 PM
hi mick it's a dunbier multi roller. sorry for sounding silly what do you meen by y shaped the post on my traler is at a angle
it will be fine on a dunbier mate .. i had to change my post on my tinka to a dunbier winch post to fit L&R latch.. the dunbier post is what i call a Y shape post .. dont know if it has a real name... cheers mick

Vitamin Sea
07-01-2014, 05:53 PM
The only thing that i have added to the boat that the mrs likes.

Jsmfun
07-01-2014, 06:36 PM
It looks the goods how hard is it to install or should I get (amc) to install as I'm sure there would be a mark up involved

Vitamin Sea
07-01-2014, 07:44 PM
It looks the goods how hard is it to install or should I get (amc) to install as I'm sure there would be a mark up involved

Easy as mate, couple of holes in steel and lining it up to work.

Jsmfun
07-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Easy as mate, couple of holes in steel and lining it up to work.
Thanks mate I shall give it a go after I pick it up

bigjimg
07-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Try driving on first without it and get into a routine. I would reckon you don't really need one for your boat. Should be a walk in the park If your trailer is setup right.
Even if you are solo you still have to climb out once it has latched on and then attach the safety chain.
By not having the latch you just leave the motor in gear and climb out and winch up the last bit and attach safety chain. Just requires the extra minute of your time. Jim

Jsmfun
07-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Try driving on first without it and get into a routine. I would reckon you don't really need one for your boat. Should be a walk in the park If your trailer is setup right.
Even if you are solo you still have to climb out once it has latched on and then attach the safety chain.
By not having the latch you just leave the motor in gear and climb out and winch up the last bit and attach safety chain. Just requires the extra minute of your time. Jim
I was going to try that as its a walkaround and should be ok if I got a few launch and retrieves by myself. but the financial adviser said if the boat hits the ramp or gets damaged because I didn't spend $400 on a $80000 toy I would not get petrol money lol

Chimo
08-01-2014, 06:40 AM
Hi Jsmfum

If SHMBO is concerned about you damaging the boat does she have similar concerns about accelerated damage to the trailer and particularly to the brakes as a direct result of drowning your nice new trailer?

Your legs can handle salt water much more successfully than the trailer and the braking setup on it. With practise and a good technique solo launching and retrieving a couple ot tonnes of boat is not hard. Even wind can be your friend when it come to retrieving the boat.

Nothing like different points of view to make a discussion, but the bottom line from an OH&S point of view there are risks associated with climbing in and out of wet boats on trailers on slippery ramps in daylight and even more at night and after one suffers back issues there is a tendency to limit risks.

Then there is the added cost of repairs to the trailer brake system as a result of frequent salt water drownings.

Happy boating anyhoo

Cheers
Chimo

Fed
08-01-2014, 07:30 AM
Don't forget the rope loop off the corner bollard down to a hook on the trailer method, I've always thought that was a good foolproof way of securing it.
Motor up, hook the rope, turn off motor, tilt up, hop out & winch the last few inches.

There was a thread on it here some time ago.

Jsmfun
08-01-2014, 07:55 AM
hi chimo i have never seen a launch /retreive without dunking the trailer is it possible not to submerg and still drive on/of safely as the last boat i had brakes needed machining after 3 years changed the pads every service

maru222
08-01-2014, 08:10 AM
L & R sysrem is great for one person but i have now bent two of them.had to make modifitions to REDCO trailer post. so i guess i have done a poor job.cant be 2" off either side
KATCHYA system looks good if you have two people

dave

Jarrah Jack
08-01-2014, 08:44 AM
I've got an L&R system. I will never have anything except a tinnie without one now.

Chimo
08-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Jsmfun

Why do you want to drive on and off the trailer?

The only trailer that you are compelled to do this is the bunk trailer and they originated from the US and Canada where the large proportion of boats operate in fresh water lakes and rivers.

Multi-roller trailers were designed to have the boats roll on with a winch and off via gravity in my boat's case with a rope and 8 to control the decent or the boat will take off with the slightest gradient; but thats a well adjusted trailer with plenty of rollers. After replacing a couple of sets of 4 rotors and accompanying pads etc neither my brakes nor bearings get wet except by accident or wave action and majority of my necessary boat launchings or retrievals are done solo on a 13 going on 14 year old Tinka with working lights and brakes and minimal frame rust except the last x member that does get drowned.

Cheers
Chimo

Jsmfun
08-01-2014, 09:48 AM
less time spent at the ramp to avoid unpleasent arguments with grumpy people with there world crashing around them because they did not get the tinni in at 5am sharp instead 5.04am

Chimo
08-01-2014, 11:01 AM
Do you really feel your convincing?

Solution is to help the grumps* so they leave and you can do what you do carefully and systematically.

C
C

PS *not really the appropriate name!

Jsmfun
08-01-2014, 11:26 AM
IT WAS A JOKE?

and the grumps always think they know what they are doing tried to help a guy at wynnum kept telling him the trailer was going to go off the side of the ramp (boat still on )he told me to shutup and 30seconds later bang left wheel dropped of boat ramp he could not retrieve it just kept sliding . so i just sat in my triton and watched him strugle moral of the story dont go out of your way to be a prick

Chimo
08-01-2014, 11:43 AM
I knew its a joke... Its a GOM thing!

Yes your correct about those who reject a helping hand, These people are NOT GOMs
There are many other more accurate names for them.

Perhaps another thread to name those who inhabit boat ramps and who are not people like us

Seriously you have identified a Xmas and New Year activity engaged in by many a bored AF.

Boat ramp viewing. On site in the truck in the car park, with a trailer on the tow bar, if you want to be really close; so as to best hear as well as see the antics.

As you have highlighted above, best to just watch and not get involved unless the situation demands it eg his wife and kids at risk of death or serious injury.

One can learn a lot about human nature and how to launch a boat and how not to from this activity and some things can be really funny (and some not so much).

C
C

Jsmfun
08-01-2014, 12:09 PM
imo the weekend family fisherman and his family are normaly good and dont mind getting a hand on busy ramps. its the arrougant one's that are good viewing lol

i help out if they look like there struggling and it's normaly thanked

John Buoy
11-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Don't forget the rope loop off the corner bollard down to a hook on the trailer method, I've always thought that was a good foolproof way of securing it.
Motor up, hook the rope, turn off motor, tilt up, hop out & winch the last few inches.

There was a thread on it here some time ago.

For Solo Launching

My home made boat latch saves me getting in and out
when doing solo drive on/offs.
simply hook up the ring to a fixed hook on the trailer
with a tad of slack rope tied off to the stern cleat,
once your in the water unhook safety chain and winch
if the boat slides back the hooked ring will tension up holding the boat
then simply start your motor drive forward and removed the ring!
park the boat and trailer and off ya go.
simply reverse the procedure when loading the boat!!
Drive on lean over the side with motor in gear hook up the ring and tie it off
shut down engine's and hop out to apply safety chain and winch !!
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/729/boatlatch.jpg (http://img189.imageshack.us/i/boatlatch.jpg/)
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2463/boatlatch2.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/boatlatch2.jpg/)

Regards Frank ;D

Jsmfun
11-01-2014, 07:00 PM
that's a great way I will have to try that before I get a latch

Jabiru658
29-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Jsmfun
Why do you want to drive on and off the trailer?

I've been abused at the boat ramp for not driving on and off the trailer despite doing a quick (for winch on) recovery without having any issues and despite owing a bunk style trailer at the time which wasn't suited to drive on/drive off.

odieman150
07-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Has anyone seen the. KATCHYA system has anyone used one on a 2 ton boat
Just fitted a Katchya to my polycraft and went for a run Friday arvo. Text book launch and retrieve. Had a L&R on our previous poly and the Katchya is definitely the better unit for fitting and operation, only time will test out longevity Harry Ps. don't know what the go is with photo orientation

Jsmfun
07-07-2014, 07:55 AM
very nice how strong doe's it look

odieman150
07-07-2014, 01:13 PM
very nice how strong doe's it look
Very solid unit Jsmfun just call or email John i'm sure he would be happy to give you some specs, he's really helpful and a nice guy to boot. Polyphonic

Prowl n Wolf
07-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Installed one of these myself a couple of weeks ago to my Haines Prowler. Very easy to install and simple to use.

bonneville
08-07-2014, 02:50 PM
I have a boat catch installed currently, with the positive locking mechanism ive even mistakenly driven home from the ramp with only the boat catch !! ( im certainly not recommending that LOL)
but would be interested to hear how this one goes after a few months of using !

bonneville

Deelirious
15-07-2014, 07:40 PM
John buoy what a great idea and it fully applies the keep it simple stupid principle. Thanks frank.