PDA

View Full Version : Watersnake transom or bow mount?

juzztinn
05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
I will be buying a Watersnake (54) transom shortly but was wondering if I should get a bow mounted one and have a mount welded on. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

bennykenny
05-01-2014, 02:56 PM
I would defiantly go the bow mount if you can. its much eaiser to control the boat when its being pulled from the front instead of being pushed from the back, especially when your trying to hold in a current.

davo
05-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Bowmount and go wireless. You fight a transom mount all day while the bowmount just pulls the boat around.

Mike Delisser
05-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Always go bowmount if you can.

Apollo
06-01-2014, 06:32 AM
As per above - bow mount.

scuttlebutt
07-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Yes to bow mount. Personally I'd skip the wireless and just have the simple transom mount but with the head turned 180 degrees. Then screw or weld a small piece of plate to the front of your boat to clamp the motor onto. This is how mine has been set up for the last three years and I find it very easy to use.

I tried a mate's wireless controller. I found it slow to react and a bit fiddly. Might be just that I wasn't used to it but I find the tiller control much easier.

Luc
07-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Definitely get a bowmount.

I tried tried scuttlebutt's setup but found it a pain having to bend down all the time.

With a bowmount you're hands are free and you can concentrate on fishing.

You quickly get used to using your foot to control the lekky and don't have to think about it.

tjotter
08-01-2014, 07:58 AM
An example of a Bow mount:

Rails cut so sits on deck.
Wasn't sure where precisely to sit it, & did not want to drill holes & then move;
so sit on temp ply that is attached [with no holes] to deck.
Stowed or Deployed, Elec does not project forward further than bowsprit.

Can be stowed with prop facing forward or back.
A bit extra was cut off rail, left a good gap in rail to step on/off the front eg if at beach.
Middle leg has 40mm sticking above deck & cut off rail is one piece, so can be welded back on if need be.

If going forward a straight line for a long distance with foot control we use petrol motor as a fine tune rudder.
Can go in reverse with decent steerage [eg if you forget about transducer & reverse onto a beach ].

Have not sorted what to do re anchor Well yet &
I am wondering about adding a bow Rail 'around' elec &
Wiring is currently [haha] run across deck which is a bit untidy.

Funchy
08-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Bow mount for sure. As stated above, take your time to make sure you get it sitting right when stowed so it doesnt get in the way too much.