PDA

View Full Version : Fishers in green zones - dob them in?

rids01
05-01-2014, 08:36 AM
Took the dog for a walk along the beach south of Woolgoolga yesterday afternoon and there would have been no less than half a dozen people fishing off the rocks at Flat Top Point - a green sanctuary zone. They weren't being secretive about it either - they had all parked their cars on the beach nearby.
I could put it down to a few holidaymakers not being aware of the zones, but it's clearly signed no fishing or collecting.

Now I'm wondering what the consensus here is, would you dob them in?
Or just leave it for the DPI/ranger to do their own job?

tropicrows
05-01-2014, 08:43 AM
With all the budget cut backs, you have more chance of winning lotto than getting caught by fisheries

sent using TapTalk

Apollo
05-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Yep, report them and let your local MP know. If the government doesn't want to enforcement, then get rid of them.

Lovey80
05-01-2014, 10:30 AM
You'll never get me ringing fisheries to report fishing in a greenzone that is more likely there because of green lobby group pressure than marine science.

Moonlighter
05-01-2014, 01:44 PM
In any case, Fisheries wont want to know. Green zones belong to National parks, not Fisheries, so it is not fisheries job.

And yes, you are correct. There was absolutely zero fisheries science behind that green zone, it was just selected because it was "representative" of a particular habitat type and to try appease the greenies demand for at least 30% of the Bay to be closed to all fishing.

rids01
05-01-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm talking about mid north coast (solitary islands marine park), not moreton bay.

Moonlighter
05-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Same argument applies. They were done by the EPA. national parks are mainly responsible for enforcement, although fisheries are also authorized to do it. And they were not declared for any fishery management reasons. Done for green preferences.

Are those zones not included in the ones where there has been an amnesty declared while the new NSW Govt reviews them?

sharkymark2
05-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Yohoo now there are some hard hitting comments. Bloody politics interfering in our fishing. We could have a paradise if only we could get organised.

rids01
05-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Are those zones not included in the ones where there has been an amnesty declared while the new NSW Govt reviews them?

I'm new to NSW, and am not aware of this?

Moonlighter
05-01-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm new to NSW, and am not aware of this?

Then do some research for yourself.

Amnesty declared several months ago for quite a number if beach based green zones.

You can obviously use the internet, how about you go find the info, and post what you find here. It might save someone from getting egg on face for reporting "illegal fishing" thats actually not illegal.......

manta man
05-01-2014, 08:18 PM
Yohoo now there are some hard hitting comments. Bloody politics interfering in our fishing. We could have a paradise if only we could get organised.

Well said mate, MMM..... You could"nt be more Politically Correct.

gruntahunta
05-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Dobbing someone for fishing in a green zone?....I think not.

rids01
06-01-2014, 01:01 PM
You are correct.
Looks like DPI need to update the signage, this is super confusing.

rids01
06-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Then do some research for yourself.

Amnesty declared several months ago for quite a number if beach based green zones.

You can obviously use the internet, how about you go find the info, and post what you find here. It might save someone from getting egg on face for reporting "illegal fishing" thats actually not illegal.......
You are correct.
Looks like DPI need to update the signage, this is super confusing.

turbo
08-01-2014, 04:10 PM
I called the local fisheries twice in redcliffe once about a dozen boats fishing the green zone in woody point no one works on weekends obviously as it went to message bank to be re directed . the second was fishing on the jetty and i was watching a group of men keeping every crab the kept . i went over to them and advised them politely that is is illegal to keep females in qld and that some of there crabs looked a tad sus on the size . the told me not so politely that i should leave before something happens to me. i called the fisheries and was told due to staff numbers the could not attend my call......... if you fine people you will have more money and get more staff...... bunch of clowns any way thanks for my rant

turbo

Triple
08-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Would be interesting to see how many that said wouldn't dob would change their mind if they thought the green zone fishers were keeping undersize and taking way over the bag limit? If they are happy to break one rule why wouldn't they break others.. I can understand the odd person not knowing they are in a green zone but when they are informed and still stay?

bowds13
08-01-2014, 05:46 PM
Same thing happened to me, was out at north pine dam walking the banks flicking away when I came across a group is Asian people using cast nets and drag nets and keeping every single thing in the net. I politely let them know that it is illegal to use a cast net in fresh water inpoundments. I was told to go away, we do what we want.

Called fisheries and was told, sorry we are unable to attend at this time as we are short handed with officeres for the time being.

Triple
08-01-2014, 06:17 PM
Yet I've been checked by fisheries at 1.45am on a tuesday morning on the GC seaway wall...

odes20
08-01-2014, 09:20 PM
I would advise them and as other on here did, and call Fisheries or whoever if their attitude was poor. Very disappointing stories of officers failing to act . I was fully inspected at Windorah couple years ago out fishing for yellabelly by the local police officer. He works with the fishing inspector from Longreach to find and prosecute offenders. In such blatant cases it's a shame local coppers can't be involved in at least catching these people when Fisheries officers couldn't get there.