PDA

View Full Version : The new outwide 8.1 mtr performance plate.

outwide1
04-01-2014, 09:31 PM
I want to share the exciting and frustrating build of the new OUTWIDE which is a 8.1 mtr custom built Performance Plate.
Mid last year i decided to part with the much loved OUTWIDE Cruise craft 625 that i had owned for 8 years since new.
It had served my time offshore very well but there were things that frustrated me at times. Things like fuel capacity,battery location,size or lack of it,polishing stainless and the list went on.One of the things that was frustrating was not being able to buy a glass boat custimized to how i wanted it especially for 2-3 day trips off DI and 1770 as well as being able to take 3-4 blokes comfortably and help share the expense of fishing offshore these days.
The selling point for the minister of finance was the one that took some convincing to sell a boat we owned out right only to have to spend another $100,000 for the new one.lol
My selling point was setting the boat up as a long range vessel that could be stayed on for a couple of days comfortably.
I also like the idea at times just going to fitzroy and anchoring up cooking dinner and a few beers chilling out. I don't know about you but it can be hard trying to explain to them some of the amazing things we are so lucky to see and experience out on the ocean.
So with the wife all sorted the sale of the C.C was quite quick and no reason other then it was an amazing boat with a 50 hour old 200HP Yamaha and a million dollars worth of Garmin electronics.

The builders i decided to approach due to there reputations were Dave at RIPTIDE and Sam at PERFORMANCE PLATE BOATS to build what would be our dream boat and more then likely the last trailerable boat we would own.
What made me go with Sam was the way his boats step up so smoothly as they approach the bow. As well as him being a nice bloke and interested in putting up with my OCD problem. Dave is the same but with a 2 year wait i simply couldn't wait that long,even though Sam now has similar waiting times. I was lucky to get in when i did.
What was meant to be a 7.6mtr then grew to a 7.8mtr after a few beers when i flew back for RNR,then the next time i flew back for RNR and a few beers later it grew and stopped at a 8.1mtr.lol

Now with the new one under way and a bedroom full to the brim of accesories things are starting to get interesting.
I have applied a lot of thought and research in the past 8 months combined with countless years fishing offshore towards the build of this boat.
As it progress's i would to share with you the build of my dream boat.
There are so many things to write about but as we go along i will cover in detail each step.
I will post a couple of pictures of the hull along with some pics of boats that Sam has built last year 2013.
Cheers Mick.

Darren Mc
04-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Sounds like it's gonna be an awesome boat. Looking forward to seeing it all come together.
Hope it all goes well for ya.

outwide1
04-01-2014, 09:41 PM
The pic of the hull only is the beginning of Outwide and that is where we are at this stage.
The rest of the photos are of boats built at Performance Plate.

outwide1
04-01-2014, 09:52 PM
The cobra in the picture there is a PPG colour and at this stage the colour chosen for the hull.
I was playing with the idea of Metallic tangerine pearl the same as the turbo ford focus.

TopBhoy
04-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Those were expensive beers ::P

Good luck with it all,exciting stuff watching it all come together.

I hope the end result lives up to (and exceeds), your dreams and expectations; when is the scheduled completion date?

outwide1
04-01-2014, 09:54 PM
I haven't placed a date so far, so much to do yet.
Hopefully December 2014.

Axl
04-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Sounds like it will be a beautiful rig outwide1 looking forward to watching it all unfold, what make and size motor are you putting on her? or will she have two?

Tangles
04-01-2014, 10:14 PM
saw a couple of big performance plate boats at the ramp 4am at Agnes Thursday, really nice and one had all the fruit and really setup for extended cruising. We saw it come back behind us at 5pm and they did it easy, look forward to seeing the build

Darren Mc
04-01-2014, 10:18 PM
Geez, they manage to keep the sides nice and straight through out the builds hey. Those pictures show that nicely.
That's a nice colour you've chosen, I like metallic and pearl blues.
Are you going to throw in any white touches? They go nicely together in the picture.

Jsmfun
04-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Very nice it will defiantly be the goods offshore.
Are you going to run twin 150,200 or single 300hp motor and what brand if you don't mind me asking

bannana
04-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Looks like she's going to be an awesome rig Mick. You'll only need a pair of 140's on the back, I don't want you passing me on the way out. lol

Good luck with the build, I hope all goes well.

overdraft
05-01-2014, 06:31 AM
I have never been a big fan of plate boats but after reading your post and looking at those pictures I can see why so many people are having them built.

danny

outta line
05-01-2014, 07:23 AM
nice mate....if it grew 500mm drinking beer lucky you weren't drinking rum it may of grown another 500mm ...lol...look forward to the build progress and hope all goes well....and a nice choice of colour cobolt blue same colour as the water on the shelf ...cheers

Spaniard_King
05-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Congrats Mick, I am sure it will be a weapon.

Back In Black
05-01-2014, 07:43 AM
Looks like she's going to be an awesome rig Mick. You'll only need a pair of 140's on the back, I don't want you passing me on the way out. lol

Good luck with the build, I hope all goes well.

Mate, no one is going to pass you!!

Apollo
05-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Look forward to following this one and congratulations. What layout have you gone for?

Steve

outwide1
05-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Just to quickly answer a main question, i have after a lot of thought decided to go with twin Suzuki 175hp. It was between them and the 350hp Yamaha.
I have opted to go the top of the range in the 175 with fly by wiring,stainless props and lean burn.
I have opted though to go the new Garmin engine managment screens rather then the suzuki gauges supplied.
Electronics wise it will comprise of x1 Garmin 7012 12'' for gps due to its dual processor system and how quick it is, the sounder screen is a 15'' Garmin 5015 paired up with a 3kw in hull transducer(more info coming on the transducer soon) And the GSD26 Chirp module, x2 Garmin engine managment screens, Garmin Auto Pilot,Garmin vhf,Garmin Radar, Fusion 700 series head unit,x4 7''speakers,Sub woofer,Amp,Blue tooth and docking station,Fusion 22''LCD screen wired through NMEA so everything electronically talks to one another.
Thats about all i can think of at this stage.
The lighting will be as comprehensive.lol

Jsmfun
05-01-2014, 01:22 PM
i feel better about going with my new 175 suzi and garmin gizmo,s not quite as high end as your,s though lol ;D
look forward to more reports

deckie
05-01-2014, 04:52 PM
oooh yeah sweet...congrats, obviously a lot of thought went into the decision.
By the looks of the others you;re going to have an absolute weapon.
Got the popcorn ready, and will follow this build closely.
Once again congrats...u must be hanging out for completion already.
That is big metal.
Steve

outwide1
05-01-2014, 05:43 PM
These are some of the pics that inspired me to do something similar.
The sound system arrived just before xmas, i have opted for the blue stern lights along with the blue under water lights.
I will basing the interior on the 10mtr Vessel ALEXANDER of Pepi's and Sasha's that Sam built a while back.
I was going to do the trim the same colour but wasn't practical for the amount of fishing we do,so i have decided on the carbon/kevlar look trim. As well as a full carbon fibre dash facia,which will match the custom carbon fibre game poles by REELAX.
As for the lay out it will be a combination of the 10mtr and the other pic of the evolution.
Its worth mentioning that i have found a guy that paints boats and has been doing all the work for a reputable builder.
His prices are right and prides himself with the job he does if anyone is looking for a painter send me a PM and i can pass on his details.
Cheers Mick.

Knotpretty
05-01-2014, 06:18 PM
Great pics mate. What sounder will you run in it. KP

outwide1
05-01-2014, 07:29 PM
A 15'' 5015 Garmin with the GSD 26 CHIRP module and a 3kw transducer. The photos do no justice of the actual size.
Yes the 3kw is a little over kill but will come in handy when we are trolling for blues outwide and bottom fishing 600m.
Cheers Mick.

wags on the water
06-01-2014, 10:48 PM
They are a nice looking boat Mick. You keep working hard and Xmas 2014 will be here in no time.

Cheers,
Wags

MyWay
07-01-2014, 01:16 AM
it will be awesome looking boat

did u have diesel power as option at all

outwide1
07-01-2014, 07:04 AM
Good old SATNAV strikes again, you would have to be one of the most negative persons i have come across on this forum.
Stay away from my posts as you are like a fly that annoys me.'
And remember GARMIN NO1.

DNO 346
07-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Mick,

Congrats mate - you wont be dissapointed! Everytime I venture out on the 7.5m Alexander, I have a smile from ear to ear.

Twin 175's would be perfect on that size rig.

Look forward to the seeing more of this build.

tropicrows
07-01-2014, 08:46 AM
What a machine It's going to be. Keep us posted on the its progress. You should have a viewing when complete.

sent using TapTalk

Greg P
07-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Good luck with the build Mick. Hope it turns out the way you want and performs in offshore conditions. I take it from the timeline you are fitting the boat out yourself. All plate boats I have had built have only been around 8-10 weeks for the hotworks to be completed so December must seem a long way away. What are the specs for the hull (deadrise, internal heights, width etc)? Are you getting an alloy trailer built as well?

Cheers
Greg

outwide1
07-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Thanks again for all the positive comments.
Alexander was my inspiration when i seen Barry's threads on the build,especially the picture of Pepi standing next to it at the ramp the day they water tested it.
Yes i am having a alloy trailer built by them as well. Surprisingly the steel trailer that the C.C was on for 8 years was in really good condition.
Like the boat though i did look after it and my water bill was a reflection of the care i took.lol

As i said earlier i haven't set a time for completion and the hot works is forecasted for 8-12 weeks.
I have struck a deal with Sam for my boat at times to be sat aside so he can carry on with other projects due to the amount of detail going into it.
Detail that wasn't reflected in the cost or quote. Once we had a few beers he then started to realise my OCD problem.lol
Sam has spoken briefly about show casing it at the Brisbane boat show depending on expense.
At the same token his work has proven its self with out costly advertising.

Mick.

Short Fuse
07-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Mick

The 8 metre half cab being built by Sam at the moment is for a mate of mine. Have been over a couple of times with Keith to see the progress of the build. They certainly do nice work, and produce a platey that is up there with the best being made in this country.

Cheers

Jeff

outwide1
07-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Mick

The 8 metre half cab being built by Sam at the moment is for a mate of mine. Have been over a couple of times with Keith to see the progress of the build. They certainly do nice work, and produce a platey that is up there with the best being made in this country.

Cheers

Jeff
Gday Jeff, thats a 8.3 mtr that your mate is having built by memory.
I have video footage of it actually.
Sam is a good bloke, bit crazy but good bloke.
I fly back for RNR on the 21st and was looking forward to seeing it.
Have you got any current photos of it ?
Is your mate doing the fit out and what engines is he going for?
Cheers Mick

Short Fuse
07-01-2014, 06:31 PM
Mick

I dont have any photos, but Keith does have a heap. I will see if he can provide a couple to put up here. Pretty sure he is getting the fit out done at Performance Plate. He will use a Seiwa Explorer 3 GPS unit linked to a 14" LCD screen and a Simrad (unsure of the model) Sounder with a 1 KW through hull transducer. The boat will have a 300hp Suzuki on the back.

cheers

Jeff

outwide1
07-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Cheers Jeff. Just a quick one guys, it has only just been brought to my attention of a Australian site reeltackle.com.au.
Lance the owner is a real good bloke prepared to help and compete with prices out there when he can.
I wish that i had known about him prior to buying a lot of the gear for the boat.
I will be using him in the future and thought it would be worth mentioning.
Cheers Mick.
I hope i don't get in trouble Phil for this.

outwide1
08-01-2014, 03:11 PM
I just got the quote for the transducer, are you sitting down AIRMAR CM599 CHIRP MULTI FREQUENCY TRANSDUCER $3995.
I will be running that through the GARMIN GSD26 CHIRP MODULE and the 5015 screen.
I have scored it a bit cheaper but man thats serious. It will just fry the reds.
Good for 3000m of water lol
I have asked to have the best reading sounder at speed and to spare no expense.
Sick of all the years of bombies i have probably driven over that would of been top marks.
My new auto pilot as well.

Spaniard_King
08-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Crikey Mick, can you choose rare/medium or well done on it too

Camhawk88
08-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Electronics wise it will comprise of x1 Garmin 7012 12'' for gps due to its dual processor system and how quick it is, the sounder screen is a 15'' Garmin 5015 paired up with a 3kw in hull transducer(more info coming on the transducer soon) And the GSD26 Chirp module,

Question- do you mean Thru hull transducer? I imagine that would be a scarily big hole in the hull for a 3KW.
I am pretty sure you can't shoot-thru aluminium right?

Aussie123
08-01-2014, 04:08 PM
That's a serious tranny Mick
Is that the CM599LH (Pocket Mount 2-3kw)

Lance

ShaneC
08-01-2014, 06:52 PM
I've got the CM599LH pocket mounted on my cat. It's good.

wags on the water
08-01-2014, 07:08 PM
I just got the quote for the transducer, are you sitting down AIRMAR CM599 CHIRP MULTI FREQUENCY TRANSDUCER $3995.
My new auto pilot as well.

That looks to me like a couple of weeks pay Mick??

Casey Ison
08-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi mate, That's a bloody machine mate. Just a question do you know if Sam does kits alone? Im pretty keen to buy a kit and build it myself. Cheers!

outwide1
08-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Good to get some feed back Shane.I have mine conciderly cheaper but still a lot to pay for a transducer.
I believe they have come up with a way to install them in plate boats.
I hope i have made the right decision .
Mick.,

outwide1
08-01-2014, 09:24 PM
Hi mate, That's a bloody machine mate. Just a question do you know if Sam does kits alone? Im pretty keen to buy a kit and build it myself. Cheers!
I am unsure on that one. He builds the cabin etc custom,the sides and bottom profile are cut though.
He is back at work on the 15th JAN.

outwide1
08-01-2014, 09:26 PM
That looks to me like a couple of weeks pay Mick??
Nah mate, saturday/sunday pay.lol

ShaneC
08-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Yeah, no worries Mick, glad you didn't pay that much. Mine was a fair bit less than that too and they have dropped in price since I bought mine. There was an inherent problem with them, I would certainly hope its been fixed by now, but I will pm you the details when I yet the chance as it will affect the performance of your tranny if it is still an issue. Luckily its an easy fix....

outwide1
22-02-2014, 06:14 PM
100838100839Just a quick update, hull has begun to be tack welded together.
Should see it back over on its bottom next week.
Looking forward to getting started on the interesting stuff like cabin and seating layout.
Everything has now been purchased to complete the fit out once we get to that stage.
Sam at Performance Plate has the year booked out and it has only just begun,i amazes me how so many people are going down this path of custom building plate boats.
Cheers Mick.

dayoo
23-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Hi Mick! You will have plenty of enjoyable trips on that boat just like I did on "Alexander". Sams boats ride very well and are extremely stable punching into a swell and in a following sea. I remember well the sleigh rides back from the Hards on "Alexander" with the twin 250 suzuks humming.
Pepi and Sasho have just sold the 7.6 metre "Alexander" version 3 as family and work commitments have curtailed the time needed for offshore fishing.

Cheers
Barry

outwide1
23-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks for your post Barry, i can't wait for it to be home for the fit out and eventually hitting the water.
We are along way from finishing. The ride was one of the things that was commonly referred to when i spoke to a lot of owners of Performance Plate boats.
Outwide should get along well with the twin Suzuki 175hp.
Talk soon Mick