PDA

View Full Version : Boat Ramps for Mud Island

noelmere
04-01-2014, 06:36 AM
I live on the North side and would like to know more about fishing at Mud Island. Which is the best boat ramp to launch from and general tips for fishing this area.

honda900
04-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Whyte Island or Manly Boat Harbour, depending on your boat.

I don't fish it very often so no good advice on where to fish..

Regards
Honda.

bazza65
04-01-2014, 08:15 AM
I think Pinkenba ramp has to be the worst ramp I have used. I was there last week and could not get the boat on the trailer by myself. Surely they could have built something like Clontarf. I will never use Pinkenba again if I am travelling solo. The current and the wind just kept blowing the boat from the trailer. bazza

wags on the water
04-01-2014, 09:39 AM
A few on the N side use Cabbage Tree Cr ramp

bluefin59
04-01-2014, 09:41 AM
I have been using Nudgee Beach boat ramp for years and never had a problem , plenty of parking usually 3 boat access at the ramp usually depending on what gooses are using it and a couple of fish cleaning stations when you get back with your catch😎😎😎😎😎..Matt

Still_Dreamin
04-01-2014, 12:14 PM
A few on the N side use Cabbage Tree Cr ramp
Yep I use cabbage tree creek at shornecliife. Good ramp safe car park and not much further to mud than if you left from whytes island plus you save heaps of time on the road. Also run some pots out between cabbage tree creek( once you are past the green zone) and mud for a feed of sandies and odd muddie.

SummerTrance
04-01-2014, 05:05 PM
I live at North Lakes, and fish Mud.

I usually launch at Nudgee. But depends on things like weather, time of day/day of the week.

If Im expecting to be returning to the ramp after 2pm on a work day (especially a Friday) I launch elsewhere so I dont get stuck in Gateway traffic on the way home. Sometimes I launch at Shorncliffe, but going 6 knots all the way through the creek to the ramp annoys me.

If the weather is perfect, sometimes I'll launch at Clontarf. A bit further on the water but on a flat day only an extra 5-10 mins, and it's closer to home for me.

As for fishing at Mud, there are many threads on here regarding that, so type Mud Island into the search function and you'll get lots of info. Number 1 tip, is stay quiet on the water. If anchoring, dont cluck the anchor over the side. If drifting, dont motor over the area your about the drift over.

SummerTrance
04-01-2014, 05:08 PM
I think Pinkenba ramp has to be the worst ramp I have used. I was there last week and could not get the boat on the trailer by myself. Surely they could have built something like Clontarf. I will never use Pinkenba again if I am travelling solo. The current and the wind just kept blowing the boat from the trailer. bazza

To help combat that, I always use a bow rope and a (long) stern rope when retrieving the boat. You can hold the stern rope to stop the rear of the boat blowing sideways when hooking up the winch cable.
I have a hook on each side of the transom or if you have rear side rails, just tie a rope on whichever side you need to hold the rope on. Makes retrieving much easier.

kingcray
04-01-2014, 05:37 PM
where on the northside are you Noel? and what size boat do you have?
For me i leave from Clontarf every time i go to mud. Takes me 25mins on a good day in my tinny to get to my usual spot on the NW corner.
Im always home by lunch before the wind comes up too much.

Gon Fishun
04-01-2014, 05:39 PM
I live at North Lakes, and fish Mud.

I usually launch at Nudgee. But depends on things like weather, time of day/day of the week.

If Im expecting to be returning to the ramp after 2pm on a work day (especially a Friday) I launch elsewhere so I dont get stuck in Gateway traffic on the way home. Sometimes I launch at Shorncliffe, but going 6 knots all the way through the creek to the ramp annoys me.

If the weather is perfect, sometimes I'll launch at Clontarf. A bit further on the water but on a flat day only an extra 5-10 mins, and it's closer to home for me.

As for fishing at Mud, there are many threads on here regarding that, so type Mud Island into the search function and you'll get lots of info. Number 1 tip, is stay quiet on the water. If anchoring, dont cluck the anchor over the side. If drifting, dont motor over the area your about the drift over.

G'day SummerTrance.
Question 1, Looking on Google Earth there are 2 ramps at Shorncliffe, 1 near the mouth and 1 back up the creek a bit. Would they both be ok for launching 5mtr half cab f/g boat.

Question 2 , At Nudgee, would you launch in the creek or the beach ramp.
I'am not familiar with any of these ramps.
Cheers.

Still_Dreamin
04-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Gon fishun, the ramp near mouth of cabbage tree is very exposed and usually crawling with kayakers. The 6 knots is not a big issue for me. It isn't far and usually use it to get fenders ready, find car keys etc so by the time I am at ramp I am all ready. Nice big pontoon between lanes and ridiculous amount of car parks. Only downside is a NE wind on an out going tide. Gets pretty rough at the mouth in those conditions.

Still_Dreamin
04-01-2014, 07:17 PM

wait until a big container ship or cruise ship goes by. I was checking the ramp out one day after dropping my wife off at airport when a middle age couple retrieving their large ally boat were swamped by the waves displaced by a cruiseship. Helped them out and decided I would never use that ramp. No pontoon, no beach = not fibreglass friendly

SummerTrance
04-01-2014, 10:31 PM
G'day SummerTrance.
Question 1, Looking on Google Earth there are 2 ramps at Shorncliffe, 1 near the mouth and 1 back up the creek a bit. Would they both be ok for launching 5mtr half cab f/g boat.

Question 2 , At Nudgee, would you launch in the creek or the beach ramp.
I'am not familiar with any of these ramps.
Cheers.

At Shorncliff the main ramp is the one up the creek a bit, pontoon, large carpark, cleaning tables ect. The one near the mouth is only suitable for small boats/tinnies IMO.

Again at Nudgee, the main ramp is slightly up the creek. (I didnt even know there was one near the beach) It's opposite the entrance to the rubbish tip. 3 lane ramp, pontoon and beach at half tide, large carpark, cleaning tables.

alleycat
12-01-2016, 09:02 PM
Nudgee creek ramp is useless near low water even in a tinny, I left the ramp at 4.20am this morning and found it impossible to get out, several hundreds of metres near the mouth has no water at low tide, it needs to be dredged, give it a big miss...