PDA

View Full Version : Rust on Stainless Props

Linz
03-01-2014, 06:05 PM
Hi All,

Some advice needed. I recently purchased a new stainless prop - first one ever. This has been only its first week of use....on holidays.....and the boat has been moored in the Maroochy river for six days.

In this time the prop has developed rust at the base of each of the blades and at the "back end" of each of the blades. The shop owner from whom I bought it says that this is quite normal.

Is this true from your experiences or am I being had?

Thanks,
Rapid rust prop man - Lindsay

Blackened
03-01-2014, 06:20 PM
G'day

What brand of prop? and yes, quite normal.

Just use some metal polish on your prop such as autosol and wash with freshwater after use.

Dave

captain rednut
03-01-2014, 07:45 PM
A couple of sand banks will fix this?? just kidding this is normal to get rust stains but maybe you should post a photo of your prop for a real opinion???

astro66
03-01-2014, 08:06 PM
"stainless" ..............not ....."stainproof" ...all comes down to the quality of the steel...

LittleSkipper
03-01-2014, 08:09 PM
A picture tells a thousand words....or more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

swof63
03-01-2014, 08:35 PM
My brother is a metallurgist and I asked him this exact question.

He said there is a reason it is called "stain-less" and not "stain-not". It is an alloy of steel, nickel and chrome ( and sometimes molybdenum) and not totally noble, but it is far more resistant to oxidisation than the iron/carbon mix that is steel. Unfortunately the more resistant to oxidisation the alloy is the more brittle it is. In most cases the oxidisation is only on the surface and doesn't penetrate into the metal structure below so clean it if it bothers you but don't worry about it. Prop manufacturers have been doing this for a while and will have settled on a grade of stainless that balances corrosion resistance with strength.

Cheers

Schulzy
03-01-2014, 10:41 PM
If it's not highly polished it could be impregnated with iron from grinding. Wouldn't be too worried if not get some stainless wool and get to polishing :)

Matt76
04-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Yep swof63 is spot on. Its disappointing after buying a nice new shiny prop, but nothing to worry about.

Linz
04-01-2014, 09:39 AM
A couple of sand banks will fix this?? just kidding this is normal to get rust stains but maybe you should post a photo of your prop for a real opinion???

Thanks everyone.
I do like the running into a sandbank option. I am quite experience at this! >:(

The prop is a Stiletto.

Cheers