PDA

View Full Version : Time for New Outboard?

Marlin_Mike
31-12-2013, 10:26 AM
The 70HP Johnno is starting to give me grief. It is playing up again.................... Do I spend $hyteloads reconditioning nit, or buy a new outboard? Choice of new outboard would be either 70HP Suzuki or Yamaha, 4 bangers. Ahh decisions decisions........what does one do. Don't really wanna throw big bucks over a 2 stroke.................

Hossfish
31-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Hi Mike.

Hold old is the Johnno and are you planning on keeping your rIg for a while.

Safe boating to all.

Cheers Greg

LittleSkipper
31-12-2013, 10:52 AM
The 70HP Johnno is starting to give me grief. It is playing up again.................... Do I spend $hyteloads reconditioning nit, or buy a new outboard? Choice of new outboard would be either 70HP Suzuki or Yamaha, 4 bangers. Ahh decisions decisions........what does one do. Don't really wanna throw big bucks over a 2 stroke.................

If you can treat yourself to a new 4stroke outboard where you'll save yourself and your passengers from 2 stroke smoke as well as your wallet I certainly would.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Darren Mc
31-12-2013, 11:01 AM
You could look at it this way. If you get the 70 jonno reco'd you still have the same jonno, but reco'd. If you put that money towards a new Suzuki/yamaha that comes with new wiring, new everything plus better fuel economy and a lot quieter it makes the price of the new one look a fair bit cheaper. If your going to keep the boat I'd go the newy. It's up to you of course.

Chimo
31-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Mike

Whats wrong with your 70HP?
Who do you use for your OMC servicing?
If your current tech is going to charge you heaps to service / upgrade a 70HP OMC maybe you need to consider a change of marine tech.
On the other hand if your dead set keen on a new motor then go for it.

In the mean time, Happy New Year!

Cheers
Chimo

Jarrah Jack
31-12-2013, 11:37 AM
A new lean burn 90 Zuk if your boat can take the extra horses. There was a very good used 90 zuk at JV marine last month.

Darren Mc
31-12-2013, 11:52 AM
A few extra ponies if going to a 4 stroke would probably be a good idea as they don't quite have the same punch out of the hole as the 2 strokes.

Vitamin Sea
31-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Depends what is wrong with the 70 Mike, and how deep your pockets are. It may cost a few bucks to get right but it will cost a shitload more to replace it.

Personally speaking i would only replace the existing motor if it went BANG, but thats me.

Cheers

Blackened
31-12-2013, 05:31 PM
G'day

Mike, what's the boat rated to? is the transom 100%? because if you start pulling engine bolts out and wet timber.... it's not going to be nice.

IMO, go a new one, plenty of good finance deals with the engine manufacturers, personally for me it's about cc's, and the suzuki is way above the yamaha for this. If you can handle a slightly heavier engine on the transom, look at the merc.

Dave

FisHard
31-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Go new or newer 4 stroke, there's nothing better than having absolute faith in your propulsion.

Moonlighter
31-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Mike, if i remember correctly your boat is a Seafarer VSea of 5m length is it not?

That being the case, a new Suzuki 90A would be simply brilliant on that hull. The 70 Zuke is the same engine so same weight, so the 90 would make better sense.

Why not have a talk to Jon Eadie at Cleveland? You never know what deals or options he may have. Sometimes has reasonably new second hand engines that could be a option as well.

Jarrah Jack
31-12-2013, 06:53 PM
A mate just put a 90 A Zuk on his Seafarer Vamp which would be the same hull. He's very happy with the combination. He knows only one speed. haha

ryangler
31-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Yamaha are doing 2.99% finance at the moment and for the extra 20kg i would go the yami 100 over the zuke 90

Matt76
31-12-2013, 08:22 PM
For me it's a no brainier (assuming the budget can handle it) I look at it this way, if you put a brand spanker on it you will never think 'hmmm should have kept the old clunker' if you put money into the old clunker are you ever going to wonder if you should have bought a new one? I reckon you would.

wayno60
31-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Go new or newer 4 stroke, there's nothing better than having absolute faith in your propulsion.
yer thats what JB sniper thought!!!(re 200hp 50h stuffed)

Ive got a 704S yammie and cant fault it. 102hr on the clock