PDA

View Full Version : Live well pump electrical problem

keen_angler
30-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Hi all,

I have no power going to my live well pump from the switch panel, but if I connect it directly to the negative bar and the positive direct it powers up.

i have tried swapping the cables that go to the switch for the bilge pump to the switch for the live well pump and the bilge pump works which suggests to me the switch is working but when I put the cables for the live well pump to the switch from the bilge pump I still get no power.

this has me stumped anyone able to provide any suggestions?

thanks

Volvo
30-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Check the fuse on your switchpanel??, how do you have the pump connected to the switchpanel??..

keen_angler
31-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks Volvo checked the fuse on the switch panel and it is fine.

there is a main positive and negative connected to the switch panel, from there the wires run from the switch to the pump.

what has got me is that I tried the wires on a switch that works and also tried the bilge pump on that same switch and it works

LittleSkipper
31-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Well, your switch that operates the pump is buggered.

Are you able to remove that one switch from the panel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

keen_angler
31-12-2013, 08:58 AM
I dont think that it would be the switch, because when I connect the cabin lights to that switch they will work

gruntahunta
31-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Your Bilge pump may be also connected to another live supply as well as the switch which allows it to come on automatically when water reaches a certain level.....just a thought...I think the switch is faulty...replace it first.

gruntahunta
31-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Ok..just saw ur last post about the cabin lights...switch works.

could there be a small length of wire that links the switch to your well pump connection, if there is that may be broken or corroded/ etc or does the connection go directly to the switch and not a separate connector?

Volvo
31-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Hopefully you shouldhave a pos busbar and a neg busbar fed from your main battery isol switch. There you should have a pos going from you pos busbar to the switchpanel which operates your pump & the neg of your pumpgoing to the neg busbar.
Is this how you have it set up?.

Fed
01-01-2014, 05:50 AM
i have tried swapping the cables that go to the switch for the bilge pump to the switch for the live well pump and the bilge pump works which suggests to me the switch is working but when I put the cables for the live well pump to the switch from the bilge pump I still get no power.
It sounds like you have a bad negative connection to your live well pump but you did say 'cables' which would indicate you also transferred the negative wire as well.
You need to tell us EXACTLY how you tested it.

keen_angler
02-01-2014, 07:00 AM
thanks all for the replies, I have found a second fuse that was gone, not sure why they had set it up with 2 fuses, but this has done the trick.

Volvo
02-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Was it in the switchpanel??..

keen_angler
02-01-2014, 09:24 AM
no, from the switch panel the previous owner had placed a fuse within the first 100mm of the switch, as I started to pull the wiring out about 250mm from the orginal fuse there was another which was gone.