PDA

View Full Version : What Alvey model do you prefer

SkullJug
30-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Howdy All,

Mate and I have been discussing which Alveys we use for surf. He prefers the ones with full drag (C models I’m pretty sure they are called) where as I have always stuck with the direct wind (‘B’ model ?”) and palmed the reel when I want to let a fish run.

To me, I’ve always like palming because it lets me apply the breaks slowly, with the drag model I’ve always been worried it’s going to be a lot more stop/start and potentially cost you a catch….

His thoughts are drag is automatic so much easier and fool proof, he had actually talked me around to his way of thinking until I mentioned it to a few tackle shop guys who all shook their heads and said "Direct wind for everything'... That being said they were older blokes and may just like doing it the way they always have.

What is everyone else’s thoughts on this?

Horse
30-12-2013, 02:25 PM
For heavier work I like an A series with the stainless backing plate in 61/2" or 7". For lighter work the B series is nicer to use. I personally don't like the drag models as I love the direct contact with the fish. I have an old Cedar 7" A series thats much older than most Ausfishers and its still going strong

SkullJug
30-12-2013, 03:08 PM
I have an old Cedar 7" A series thats much older than most Ausfishers and its still going strong

Nothing gives you beach cred like an old Alvey. I am the third generation in my family to use one of mine. I leave Granddad's Bamboo rods at home though :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Stik-ugly
30-12-2013, 07:58 PM
I am happy using my 7 inch C5 on the beach,each too their own,it has never let me down!

Midnight
30-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Direct wind for me. I have an old star drag that was my snapper reel pre soft plastics days, but a 6" direct wind is my go to beach reel, even for spinning slugs.
I have 2 of them on "his and hers" Gary Howard "Yellow Patch" rods, the most beautiful beach fishing outfits known to man ;)

SkullJug
30-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Gary Howard "Yellow Patch" rods, the most beautiful beach fishing outfits known to man ;)

funny you mention this, I picked one up the other day and loved it, no two piece though, I'm sick of roof racks and leaving gear exposed.

banshee
05-01-2014, 10:13 PM
If you have to lift fish then a direct wind but for everything else give me a drag any day.......I spent thirty years trying to wear out my old drect wind Alvey before punting it on to the son.

nipper525
06-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Direct drive all the way, 55A5, 600B, 600A5 and 650B matched with bent tip rods...

Y-Not
21-01-2014, 08:58 PM
650B is my normal surf reel on a Gary Howard 2 piece.(cant recall the model)
For river bank dams etc I use an Angler Rods"Black Magic plus" with a 55c4. Still using this combo almost 30 years on

lee8sec
21-01-2014, 09:17 PM
I have both direct & drag in 650 size. Like them both. Leigh

BigE
22-01-2014, 07:44 AM
these are my grandad's dad's and now mine, still going strong and work perfectly. more reliable than a hills hoist or a honda, gotta love em.

BigE

4x4frog
22-01-2014, 03:34 PM
I've got a 650C5 with 2 spools, only because it was passed down to me and I have never used anything else.
I've got a 600A5 for light surf as well.
Best reels ever for surf fishing but have recently tried a Penn Spinnfisher 4500 on a Shimano Catana 10ft rod for lures up to 65gr, nice and light and better I think for the casting repetitiveness of lures

BigE
30-06-2014, 07:40 PM
104066104067104068104069104070104071104072old thread I know but I came accross this golden oldie in dad's fishing boxes.

BigE

Hi tide
01-07-2014, 12:22 AM
The 650c5 heritage drag and 600 direct been doing it fine last 12yrs + as well as the 500a for estuaries.
Some great oldies there fellas
cheers

rockfisho
12-10-2014, 06:20 PM
The best of both worlds in the E-Series. direct wind with star drag are my favourite models.

I use the 700E and 650A for rock fishing. Can lift fish without a clutch slipping and put the brakes on a fish running towards the rocks. The 650 C and 700 E for heavier surf where there are few obstacles.

Light surf i stick to direct wind 625B because they are light and it is good fun hooking into hard pulling fish (for their size) on light line with complete control.

there is nothing quite like getting your knuckles smashed by a big fish...

SkullJug
12-10-2014, 06:41 PM
The best of both worlds in the E-Series. direct wind with star drag are my favourite models.

I use the 700E and 650A for rock fishing. Can lift fish without a clutch slipping and put the brakes on a fish running towards the rocks. The 650 C and 700 E for heavier surf where there are few obstacles.

Light surf i stick to direct wind 625B because they are light and it is good fun hooking into hard pulling fish (for their size) on light line with complete control.

there is nothing quite like getting your knuckles smashed by a big fish...

Funny you should reply today with this. I just happen to be cruising online to work out what reel to get next and you mentioned the 700 for rock fishing. I'm looking to match either a 700 or a 650 Alvey to a Gary Howard Surf Classic Heavy. The 700 is nicely balanced on this rod but am unsure if that is heading towards a little too big for a casting rod. I would love to hear your thoughts.

paullee
25-10-2014, 07:35 AM
Hi guys,

As an add on to this thread what line do you guys run off the beach? I have never owned a side cast before and have always fished from boats but i just purchased a 600b to do some more beach fishing so now what line to put on? I am thinking 10kg or 15kg braid or am i completely wrong?

theoldlegend
25-10-2014, 01:29 PM
No. No braid on an Alvey, as you'll cut your fingers guiding the line onto the spool. It cuts like a knife that stuff before you know it.
I've found 15lb seems ok for off the beach, maybe 20lbs. See if you can get the Platypus Platinum mono or even a bit better, the Platypus Super 100 which is about 10% thinner than the Platinum.

It allows you to up the breaking strain a bit but still have the same diameter as other thicker lines which restrict your casting distance.

TOL

SkullJug
25-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Hi guys,

As an add on to this thread what line do you guys run off the beach? I have never owned a side cast before and have always fished from boats but i just purchased a 600b to do some more beach fishing so now what line to put on? I am thinking 10kg or 15kg braid or am i completely wrong?

Hi Paullee,

I've seen guys use braid on an Alvey with either a glove or a finger cover, but you just don't need to. Remember that for most surf fishing you aren't hunting around snags so you don't need really strong line and should always fish as light as possible. Use good, lo stretch mono. I use 6lb for bream, dart e.t.c and either 10 or 15 pound for tailor.