PDA

View Full Version : Alloy boat - How long can you leave n the water.?

Howso77
28-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Hi all,

Sorry for the newb question.. I currently have my Trailcraft moored at my folks jetty (saltwater) and just wondering how long would be safe to leave it there before it starts to get growth etc?

Any rule of thumb?

Cheers

Dantren
28-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Howso, I find it depends on how much fresh water is in the system, and the distance to river mouth/tide sizes.
I was in the water for 10 days first week of December 2013 at Munna Point, Noosaville. Water clarity was best I've ever seen (no rain = no fresh) I only had a light water line mark, no sign of growth underneath.
Dead end canals have given me the largest amount of growth, I needed to clean every 4 days. (I'm a clean freak)
My friend left his tinnie in for a month & was an absolute mess.
Use it often & clean blood, or let it sit in the water & clean barnacles.

cormorant
28-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Being a trailerboat it probably hasn't had anodes fitted externally to the hull? . If you were doing it often I'd fit a couple and double check you have no stray electrical current. Jettys with power can have stray currents and cause corrosion or if there is dumped steel under the wharf etc. .

We have in the past got a cheap bunnings poly tarp and tie it up like a bag under the boat and it stops all growth and staining . Takes 10 minutes at end of day to put on and 5 minutes in the morning to put on the jetty. Bit of a pain but so much less work than trying to clean it if you get growth if you don't fish for several days with crap weather. Can use muffs on jetty to freshwater flush as well.

Howso77
29-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys for your responses. I don't believe there are any anodes fitted so I might just pull it out every few days and give it a flush and wash down.

Appreciate the feedback..