PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Advice

Soliak
28-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Hey guys,

I caught the fishing bug a few years ago and have been dreaming about owning my own boat ever since. After a 2 year extended work trip overseas I am finally returning home with sufficient cash to purchase my first tinny!

I've done lots of research (including doing searches on this site), but thought I would create a thread before I make any final decisions.

The requirements I have put together so far...

- Between 4 and 4.5M
- 4 stroke motor. Motor preference in order Yamaha, Honda, Mercury, Mariner, Suzuki
- Electric start + Tilt
- Front casting deck at minimum. Rear casting deck a bonus
- Live well, live bait tank
- Electric motor

The models I have looked at...

- Stacer Proline Angler
- Sea Jay Discovery, Nomad, Haven etc
- Bluefin Mangrove Jack and other similar models
- Quintrex tinny range, maximum would be a small Top Ender?

Until recently I thought a side console was going to be the best option (and be easier to operate), but I have read a few posts indicating that a console option on a small boat is pretty detrimental space wise. To those who have small boats with consoles, how do you find it?

My budget for the boat is around $15k. I'm looking at second hand options as most of the boats I listed (barring the Stacer) are a bit over that, around 18-22k new. I will mainly be fishing around Pumicestone Passage, as well as Brissy River, but would also like to take the boat around Moreton Bay and Mud Island. Would I have any issues with the boats listed (on a decent day).

Considering I am new to boating and will need to learn to not only operate the boat properly and safely, but also tow/launch it successfully at busy boat ramps (eeek), what is Ausfish suggestion? I am leaning towards the Stacer Proline Angler. It seems like the most affordable solution with all the features I need. Apart from the obvious Boatsales/Gumtree searches, what is the true value of a second hand 2011-2012 model Stacer Proline Angler 429 w/ a quality 4 stroke on the back, low hours and all the goodies, 12.5k?

Has anyone had any experience with Clark boats? They seem like an alternative option but there isn't a whole lot of information out there.

Is there any validity to spending my max and getting a boat new from a dealer? Is the warranty / untouched engine a massive benefit in the realm of boats? I see people advertising boats for 2 grand less than RRP on a 2 year old boat with 50+ hours, do these things actually sell? Seems like boats depreciate must less then cars.

There is lots of discussions on plate vs pressed, considering I am throwing up the option of a Bluefin, has anyone had experience in both of the variants specifically with this manufacture?

Any advice is very much appreciated. This has been all I have been thinking about for 12 months and really want to make the right choice. I feel like I am getting my car license all over again, except x 10. The thought of being able to chase way more species and explore new areas with a sounder has me giddy like a school girl haha.

Cheers,

ozynorts
28-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Hey mate, have you looked at the ProCraft boats? Seem to have a lot of the things you are looking for.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15467460&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

Soliak
28-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Hey mate, have you looked at the ProCraft boats? Seem to have a lot of the things you are looking for.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15467460&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

I have not, thank you for the suggestion!

Will check them out now.

Soliak
28-12-2013, 08:49 AM
I had a look at that boat ozynorts, what do you think about the build quality?

ozynorts
28-12-2013, 02:10 PM
I haven't had the chance to really check them out but when I looked at them at the boat show they looked alright.
Here are a couple of reviews on them.
http://www.coastalpowerboats.com.au/downloads/Procraft.pdf (http://www.coastalpowerboats.com.au/downloads/Procraft.pdf)
http://www.trailerboat.com.au/reviews/trailer-boats/1308/procraft-430-centre-console-review/

LittleSkipper
28-12-2013, 05:46 PM
If I may another brand selection if your interested is Polycraft.

www.polycraft.com.au

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

MyWay
29-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Did you check Brooker

Spiderpig
29-12-2013, 10:53 AM
If I may another brand selection if your interested is Polycraft.

www.polycraft.com.au (http://www.polycraft.com.au)

Another one for the poly's

Soliak
31-12-2013, 02:46 AM
Another one for the poly's

Interesting, thanks for the tips guys. Checking out Polycraft and Brooker now.

Scalem
31-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Whatever you get in tin make sure the hull design has enough ribbing and weld in the bow for bay work. My brother has a 4.0 that has now been modified with extra strength welded in after a few welds let go, punching into bay chop with a boat designed for estuary work. It's now an armour plated tank and the manufacturer did all that mod work for free, but be warned moreton bay chop demands the strongest tinnies.

Scalem

Soliak
31-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Whatever you get in tin make sure the hull design has enough ribbing and weld in the bow for bay work. My brother has a 4.0 that has now been modified with extra strength welded in after a few welds let go, punching into bay chop with a boat designed for estuary work. It's now an armour plated tank and the manufacturer did all that mod work for free, but be warned moreton bay chop demands the strongest tinnies.

Scalem

Thanks for the advice Scalem.

These Polycraft boats look very interesting and are pretty damn cheap.

Do you have any advice on the strongest tinnies build wise, Scalem?

LittleSkipper
31-12-2013, 08:46 AM

You'll find Poly's flex in the chop and a bit more softer ride than a tinny, some say Poly's are a wet boat but what boat doesn't get wet these days? Haha!

Jeremy
01-01-2014, 08:42 AM
The best configuration for your boat depends on how you want to use it. Open boats have more space, but a console can be more comfortable and gives you more room to mount electronics. 4m is probably a bit small for a console, but 4.5 m suits a console well. Also depends on how any people you intend to carry plus eskies, crab pots etc etc. My advice to you would be to go second hand for a couple of reasons. 1. Less depreciation if you decide to sell 2. Cheaper 3. You get all the extras thrown in for basically free - battery, sounder, nav lights, anchor plus maybe more. These sort of things don't add much to the resale value of a boat, but can cost a lot if you buy new and have to add them yourself. Just make sure you get it checked out thoroughly before handing over the cash. 4.5 m is big enough to get out to Mud and across to Moreton Island on a good day and you should have no problems finding a rig in that size range with a good motor and trailer for your money. 4.5 m is also small enough to take into the estuaries and up most creeks comfortably.

Scalem
01-01-2014, 01:34 PM

Do you have any advice on the strongest tinnies build wise, Scalem?

Poly are not only well priced but handle the bay really well in the size you are looking at. With tinnies I think the brands you are considering are fine, but its the size of boat that's important. When you say 4 mtr it is easy for a manufacturer to grab the exact same hull that is a tiller steer designed for Estuary work, then put forward or side console steering and controls without making improvements to the strength up front. Get a couple of big blokes up the front and pound her into Moreton bay slop and you will really test the hull if it is not up to spec. Buy a boat designed for the work you are lining up for it.
IMHO go the bigger 4.5 to 5 mtr class if you venture into the bay anywhere north of Mclay Island.

Scalem

Camhawk88
02-01-2014, 10:44 AM
For strength in pressed tinnies Seajay and Clarke are the pick. Check out how many of the ribs in a Clark go gunnel to gunnel then compare to others. In a boat of that size in chop then you will be best served sitting as far back as possible (best ride) so tiller steer is better. Maclays and Allisons are also good plate boats but as they are fairly new in that size range (4.5m) I doubt there will be many 2nd hand models in your price range. Worth having a look though.

Soliak
02-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all of the advice guys.

As far as 4.5's go, what specific model would you gents recommend?

The Clark Abalone and Kakadu look very nice, but there are very few advertised and are out of the price range new. I think if I am patient maybe I could pick a Kakadu up for around 14-15 used, do you guys think that's reasonable? Any idea on how long the Kakadu model has been out for?

For Seajay I really like the Tropic, has anyone got one of these? 4.55 w/ 3mm bottom, 2.05 beam, casting deck, live well etc + console. Have seen these new for around 20k new on Boatsales so I assume I would be able to get one second hand. Again is this a new model? Very few seem to get advertised used. Apart from the Tropic the Discovery 4.4 looks like a very decent boat and also seems to be within my price range used. Haven looks great too but would be > $15k. Any thoughts on these models lads?

Is there any chance a 4.5 would be too much to handle for a first boat? I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I also don't want to be 6 months down the track and kicking myself for not getting something bigger.

Really appreciate all the advice guys. Any links to suitable boats on Boatsales, Gumtree, dealerships etc would be awesome!

Soliak
02-01-2014, 12:18 PM
There is also the Nomad, something like this:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bundaberg-central/tinnies-dinghies/2008-seajay-4-35-nomad-discovery/1034585301

I can't work out from the pic, but does that thing not have rod holders or are they just white?

bluefin59
02-01-2014, 12:25 PM
A second hand Bluefin warrior or the side console version the predator are very capable boats for what your after I have done nearly 900 hrs in mine over 9 yrs and travelled a lot of Klm in mine but mine is a mariner 2 stroke ....Matt

Soliak
02-01-2014, 12:51 PM
A second hand Bluefin warrior or the side console version the predator are very capable boats for what your after I have done nearly 900 hrs in mine over 9 yrs and travelled a lot of Klm in mine but mine is a mariner 2 stroke ....Matt

Watcha think of the 4.25 Mangrove Jack? To the guys saying get a 4.5, is there really a massive difference between lets say a 4.5 Bluefin Warrior compared to the 4.25 MJ? Would both get me comfortable to Mud and back on a good day?

Jeremy
02-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Might be worthwhile you spending some time around a boat ramp on a busy day. See what is out there and have a quick chat to the owners. Will help you decide what you want. Another idea is to hire a boat for a day similar to what you are thinking of buying before you splash out. Boab boat hire have a range of sizes. And to answer your question, yes there is a big difference between a 4.25 and 4.5 m tinnie, both in ease of handling at the ramp and capability at sea.

bluefin59
02-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Mate the 4.5 warrior is massive go and have a look at one certainly bigger than the jack and it's a nice boat but my fin is no probs to mud off the cape on the right day and have had it of the goldy dozens of times . Where do you live mate if on the northside I might be able to tee something up so you can have a look at one in the flesh ...Matt

bluefin59
02-01-2014, 02:35 PM
99277e99278. Here you go a couple of pics of the predator Matt

Kero
02-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Another one you may want to check out is the Aluvan Razor S.
I'm pretty interested in one of these for myself. The builder is at Narangba and will sell direct. I went up there too see them and was very impressed.
The quality, design and load rating were all very good (4.3 Razor S will take 5 people).
Send me a PM if you want their contact details! I can also email some pics that they sent to me!

Soliak
03-01-2014, 02:55 AM
Mate the 4.5 warrior is massive go and have a look at one certainly bigger than the jack and it's a nice boat but my fin is no probs to mud off the cape on the right day and have had it of the goldy dozens of times . Where do you live mate if on the northside I might be able to tee something up so you can have a look at one in the flesh ...Matt

Hey mate. I am still currently overseas but get back in a month. It'd love to take you up on that offer upon my return, maybe we could go for a fish to test it out. You bring the boat and I'll pay for fuel/beers ;)

Soliak
03-01-2014, 02:57 AM
Another one you may want to check out is the Aluvan Razor S.
I'm pretty interested in one of these for myself. The builder is at Narangba and will sell direct. I went up there too see them and was very impressed.
The quality, design and load rating were all very good (4.3 Razor S will take 5 people).
Send me a PM if you want their contact details! I can also email some pics that they sent to me!

PM sent mate!

Axl
03-01-2014, 03:47 AM
Here is one for you, it is in NSW but might be worth a look http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15859616&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2 I have one of these boats and it has served me well throughout Moreton Bay.

Scalem
03-01-2014, 07:06 AM
Being the owner of a 6 mtr glass half cab boat, there was a time I was missing having something smaller for ease of managing around the boat ramp, especially when by myself. That is until I developed my technique, the trailer is a drive on dunbier, and if you can get as big a boat as you can for your coin, you won't look back. Let's put it this way, if you think you will regret a 4.5 over a 4.25 we need to spend a morning practising launch and retrievals. A tinnie will be much easier than mine by far. When you purchase a boat you might also look closer at what type of trailer they put under her and what roller design is used, what winch is at the post and what gear ratio you have when winding.

Soliak
03-01-2014, 02:18 PM
Being the owner of a 6 mtr glass half cab boat, there was a time I was missing having something smaller for ease of managing around the boat ramp, especially when by myself. That is until I developed my technique, the trailer is a drive on dunbier, and if you can get as big a boat as you can for your coin, you won't look back. Let's put it this way, if you think you will regret a 4.5 over a 4.25 we need to spend a morning practising launch and retrievals. A tinnie will be much easier than mine by far. When you purchase a boat you might also look closer at what type of trailer they put under her and what roller design is used, what winch is at the post and what gear ratio you have when winding.

G'day Scalem,

Makes sense mate. To be completely honest my knowledge of trailers is pretty limited, so I wouldn't know what you meant by 'winch at the post' etc. Gear ratio is obvs pretty simple though.

Towing wise, what kinda weight would a 4.5M alloy boat + trailer put out?

Cheers lads.

Scalem
03-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Sorry mate, my description was not too good. As with anything there are cheap versions and winches are no different. Mine for instance has only one fairly tall gear so if I decided to winch instead of drive on it's quite hard yakka especially if the rollers are not fully maintained.

scalem

Meterplus
04-01-2014, 12:47 AM
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Trailcraft Profish , a great Australian boat originally built in WA, I have a 2003 4.7m Profish side console. Check out some of the reviews you might find online Gary Howard wrote this one some years back - http://fishingmonthly.com.au/Articles/Display/5742-Trailcraft-475-Profish . Mine has a 60 Four stroke Yammy on the back, 5mm Hull 4mm sides and I belive the transom is 6mm (could be wrong) the transom is also the strongest design I have seen on a boat this size. Wet tank approx 1.1m wide and bait tank, sturdy ladder off transom, step through door, self draining sealed floor, 120Lt underfloor feul tank I could go on and on. You might find one in your price range and discover you get A LOT of boat for dollars. Mate if you are able to check one out' do so. I taker mine up the Weipa rivers and creeks, over (on and off) mud flats but mostly I head out front and it safely gets me everywhere and anywhere a long way out and back without extra feul. Oh and you wouldn't argue with Malcolm Douglas would you ???

Also I think TABS build a comparable boat.
Good luck and I hope you find a winner.

Soliak
04-01-2014, 03:01 AM
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Trailcraft Profish , a great Australian boat originally built in WA, I have a 2003 4.7m Profish side console. Check out some of the reviews you might find online Gary Howard wrote this one some years back - http://fishingmonthly.com.au/Articles/Display/5742-Trailcraft-475-Profish . Mine has a 60 Four stroke Yammy on the back, 5mm Hull 4mm sides and I belive the transom is 6mm (could be wrong) the transom is also the strongest design I have seen on a boat this size. Wet tank approx 1.1m wide and bait tank, sturdy ladder off transom, step through door, self draining sealed floor, 120Lt underfloor feul tank I could go on and on. You might find one in your price range and discover you get A LOT of boat for dollars. Mate if you are able to check one out' do so. I taker mine up the Weipa rivers and creeks, over (on and off) mud flats but mostly I head out front and it safely gets me everywhere and anywhere a long way out and back without extra feul. Oh and you wouldn't argue with Malcolm Douglas would you ???

Also I think TABS build a comparable boat.
Good luck and I hope you find a winner.

Man these Trailcraft boats look SOLID. I'm definitely going to check them out and see what I can find. All the ones advertised seem to be in WA!

tjotter
04-01-2014, 12:20 PM
G'day Scalem,
Towing wise, what kinda weight would a 4.5M alloy boat + trailer put out?

Cheers lads.

our 4.5 Alloy Runabout + Trailer, spare wheel, fuel 60l, bimini, elec + batt, anchor, couple rods, safety stuff, last week
= 902Kg.

tjotter
04-01-2014, 12:25 PM
sorry, should have also said is a Seajay, BMT 10yrs old, &
Trailer plate says Trailer [empty without spare wheel] weighs 280Kg.