PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Maintenance Questions

Sevric
27-12-2013, 06:10 AM
Hi all, I have a couple of questions regarding trailer maintenance. 1) When adjusting override brakes should the disk pads be just making contact with the disk still allowing free rotation of the wheel or should they be completely disengaged with no contact until they are operated? 2) My tow hitch has an adjustment screw and lock nut on the top of it. How much play should there be when it is attached to the tow ball on the car, just a little, a little loose, firm, what is best practice here?

gruntahunta
27-12-2013, 06:31 AM
I have my my tow ball hitch adjusted so that it just comes off at any angle when the handle is lifted. Meaning if I had it any tighter, it won't come off, seems to be fine.

I have cable brakes so prob not what you have but have them adjusted so that the full travel distance is less than the full free travel distance. The disc pads are touching, I believe if they are totally free from the disc they would not be working efficiently as there is not a lot of travel in the adjustment.

Fed
27-12-2013, 08:09 AM
I agree with GH on the tow ball hitch but don't quite follow what this means?

have them adjusted so that the full travel distance is less than the full free travel distance.

The important thing to remember about brakes is that they are adjusted at the caliper and don't be tempted to use the cable adjustment to adjust the brakes.
Set the calipers so they are not dragging then set the cable adjustment close to the start of the handbrake ratchet thing, that way you have room for a bit of stretch and the brakes will come on sooner.