PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning 2stroke out of tank

Timbo1980
25-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Hi all,

I am changing over engines from premix to direct injection 2st. I want to clean the underfloor tank out to remove the old premix oil I am concerned it will gunk up the DI engine. I was thinking of rinsing with unleaded or metho? Its's an underfloor tank which I can remove with a bit of fiddling. I will also change out the filter at the same time. So what is best method??

Thanks Tim

Spaniard_King
25-12-2013, 03:17 PM
kill the weeds then filler up and go fishin....it will handle it... no need to clean the tank.... don't be told otherwise.

Moonlighter
25-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Tim, i wouldnt be concerned about going to the extent of rinsing the tank unless you are aware that it has gunk, water or rubbish in there.

I would suggest simply draining all fuel out and refill with fresh unleaded once the new engine is ready to go on. If there is a tiny bit of fuel or oil residue left it will be so diluted it wont matter at all. Syphoning is the easiest way, or take the engine fitting off the end of the fuel hose and pump it out with the primer bulb - slow but will get there.

By all means replace the filter element with a new one at the same time.

Timbo1980
25-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys, the tank is clean in regards to grit/dirty I was just worried about the oil residue. I will sort it out tomorrow.
Cheers Tim

tunaticer
25-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Just disconnect the hose from the mtor end and slightly pressurise your tank from the filler, any fuel that would normally be picked up will be blown through the line and into a jerry can or watever to catch it. Fill the boat tank with new fuel and run that new motor in. Ignore any "residue" you might suspect is in there. If anything that little bit of extra oil will serve you well on initially firing up the new motor.