PDA

View Full Version : Help with Electrical Connections for Icom M412 VHF Radio

stevemid
23-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Quick question on connecting the Icom. I've attached a picture of the connections page.

Is it correct to connect the NMEA IN lead to the NMEA output of the GPS receiver and the ICOM Ground terminal to the ground of the GPS Receiver? Can I just leave the NMEA OUT lead stubbed off until I want to connect something to it?

The EXTERNAL SPEAKER LEAD is a single wire. I assume this is the + connection. Do I use the GROUND TERMINAL for the - connection? Does anyone know the purpose of the CLONE LEAD? Manual has no clues.

Thanks once again for your advice.
STeve

Owen
23-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Quick question on connecting the Icom. I've attached a picture of the connections page.

Is it correct to connect the NMEA IN lead to the NMEA output of the GPS receiver and the ICOM Ground terminal to the ground of the GPS Receiver? Can I just leave the NMEA OUT lead stubbed off until I want to connect something to it?

Yes

The EXTERNAL SPEAKER LEAD is a single wire. I assume this is the + connection. Do I use the GROUND TERMINAL for the - connection? Does anyone know the purpose of the CLONE LEAD? Manual has no clues.

Thanks once again for your advice.
STeve

From memory the speaker wire is shielded (has a braided outer). Use the shield for the -ve

I presume the clone lead is for when you connect two units such as in a fly bridge scenario.
Change channels on one and it controls the other.

CT
23-12-2013, 09:14 PM
From memory the shielding on all wires need to go to earth. Otherwise nothing works.

Cheers
Craig.

Found my previous thread
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?124312-Icom-422-to-GARMIN-GPS-76C-NMEA-0183-connections