PDA

View Full Version : flexabilty in trailers.

bobbyb
22-12-2013, 02:49 PM
hi all,
looking for new trailer and was thinking of going alloy. most of them seem to be bolt together type.
just thinking about the flex or movement in these trailers, will that have a adverse affect on the hull of a boat. will the flex from the road transfer through the hull and cause any damage. glass or plate?

cheers rob........

davo
22-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Not all are bolt together. Origin and Vindicator boats build them and they are very nicely built.

wrxhoon
22-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Most boats in USA sit on bolt on ally trailers and they tow some huge boats there like 36 footers and up to 8 ton, never have a problems with hulls.
I have bolt on ally trailer under my GW and was the same under my Trophy never had a problem, I can't say about plate or pressed tinnies, not many of them in USA.
The problem with welded ally trailers they tend to crack next to the weld, again maybe not in the latest designs not sure, I'll have a bolted bunk torsion axle ally trailer any day in preference to gal or spring trailer.

PB
22-12-2013, 08:34 PM
I would be more worried about the trailer flex causing fatigue to the alloy trailer than the boat.

bobbyb
22-12-2013, 10:35 PM
ok thanks gents, just after peoples opinions on this subject.
thanks for your thoughts.