PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Fuses....no not the yammie

wayno60
20-12-2013, 09:30 AM
A mate has an etec 60hp with 60 hr on the clock, yes i know that the first problem but whats happening is he can run the motor all day, no probs but once he go's to tilt/trim the motor while running he blows a fuse.
When the motor is not running he can trim/tilt the motor from the control box or the engine all day and not blow a fuse, its just when the two are used at the same time..

whats going on??

So far he has changed the forward control box, checked all wires running from motor and trim pump.

there has to be a short somewhere, yes?
or could the puter be playing games?

thanks
w

hellfish
20-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Gday wayno. It dosnt sound like a short that is occurring but rather a circuit overload situation. The more load an electric motor is under the more current it will draw. I would suggest something has happened to increase the effort required to move the motor up and down. Water can sometimes leak into the motor of the trim/tilt unit and corrode the bearings/bushes causing it to become tight and not spin as freely as it should. I have seen that once befor with the same symptoms you mention. Fine on trailer but as soon as its in the water under load. Hope that helps ya.

Gon Fishun
20-12-2013, 01:26 PM
At 60 hrs, wouldn't it be under warranty?

hilta1
20-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Check in the control box, if the trim wire is in the wrong spot it can wear through and ark out on the throttle as it goes into gear. cheers Mark

davo
20-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Overload of the trim motor. Check warranty.