PDA

View Full Version : Fuel coming out of breathers

keen_angler
20-12-2013, 06:51 AM
I have a Tournament 1800, which when parked rear down a slight incline on the the driveway leaks fuel from the breathers out the back during the day, the tank is 3/4 full.

Also, yesterday I opened the fuel cap and I had a heap of fuel come out from the filler????

I haven't put a cover over the boat as yet, but that is on its way, the boat is stored just with the storm covers.

Anyone know what this could be?

Thanks!

Jsmfun
20-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Yes had the same problem with my yalta 1800
the fuel in the tank expands due to the heat and gas buildup I put a tarp over it like a tent problem was solved . You need to be careful of the clamps due to the pressure build up re tighten

Still_Dreamin
20-12-2013, 07:21 AM
My 1750 does the same thing. I either store without filling the tank or if the tank is full I wind the jockey wheel down so that boat is flat or slightly nose down. A side benefit is that I can then lower the motor right down so the tilt and trim unit isnt bearing any weight and the ram is fully covered. I wrote it off as a tournament issue but interestingly at this years tinnie and tackle show the cruisecraft range had stickers near the fuel fillers saying do no store with full tank as they overflow through breathers. I was always told to keep tanks full to stop condensation and hence water in the tank.

keen_angler
20-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks Guys, happy with that, looks like I will have to take it out for the weekend and run all the fuel out of it :)

Jsmfun
20-12-2013, 07:39 AM
if you do need to store it with fuel just lift the rear end of your boat cover to let air through so that i does not stink when you get in and use it. Probably a safety hint as well for smoker's near the boat

wayno60
20-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Keen A, how many litres would be 3/4 of a tank?

3.785lt of fuel will expand to 3.851lt if the temp go's from 15c to 32c a difference of 66ml

Mr__Bean
20-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Also, never put the cover over the fuel tank breather without ensuring it has "clean air" to draw back into the tank.

One of the biggest causes of water in fuel is from fuel tank breathers drawing in very humid air each night as the fuel in the tank cools again.

Covers over boats have a high tendancy to retain moisture in the boat.

Don't underestimate how much water can be induced into the tank in this manner, if you can makesure there is plenty of clean air access around the breather.

Darren

Jsmfun
20-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Keen A, how many litres would be 3/4 of a tank?

3.785lt of fuel will expand to 3.851lt if the temp go's from 15c to 32c a difference of 66ml
mainly talking of presure build up have u never had half a jerry can of fuel and left it in the sun and opened the lid . the pressure buildup is what cause's it escape out the breather hole's

Mr__Bean
20-12-2013, 12:36 PM
My platey used to do the same, but it wasn't just from the fuel expansion.

On a hot sunny day you could see the fumes haze coming out of the breather (evaporation?).

Darren

wayno60
20-12-2013, 12:45 PM
JSM,
In a sealed unit yes, but,

How can it build up pressure with the two breather pipes?? As the fuel expands wouldn't it relieve the pressure out the breathers?

Volvo
20-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Well thereby ago :), had same happen recently when parked Boat up in driveway bum down and noticed for couple days the fuel overflow as well as the smell till I pumped several ltrs back out.

Bazzawookooka
20-12-2013, 12:50 PM
I've found that loosening the filler cap whilst stored almost eliminates the 'overflow' via the breather - I'm guessing it just doesn't allow the pressure to build.

wayno60
20-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Volvo,
do have breathers on yours??

Bazz,
"I'm guessing it just doesn't allow the pressure to build"
if you have breathers it cant build up, unless their blocked or in Volvo's case where the breathers come out of the tank were below the fuel level.

keen_angler
20-12-2013, 01:38 PM
thanks all, this is really helpful, the tank full is 160 lts, I will try and store it as empty as possible in future.

As I have not much choice on storage options, I will never be able to get the boat level where it will be stored what are peoples thoughts of jacking it all up and putting the trailer on some car stands to lift the whole lot up I would only need about 250mm to get it straight?????

Still_Dreamin
20-12-2013, 01:53 PM
thanks all, this is really helpful, the tank full is 160 lts, I will try and store it as empty as possible in future.

As I have not much choice on storage options, I will never be able to get the boat level where it will be stored what are peoples thoughts of jacking it all up and putting the trailer on some car stands to lift the whole lot up I would only need about 250mm to get it straight?????

Sounds like a pain in the arse to me. Reckon you would only do it once maybe twice

keen_angler
20-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a pain in the arse to me. Reckon you would only do it once maybe twice

I thought of that also, but since I have the stands and the jack I think I have nothing to lose to give it a try

Volvo
20-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Volvo,

Bazz,
if you have breathers it cant build up, unless their blocked or in Volvo's case where the breathers come out of the tank were below the fuel level.

Yeah mate do have breather and never ever happened before in the 16 yrs of owning this boat as always left the level right down low till i filled it up for the next trip out. This one time i needed to fill the tank full to set up comunication between plotter and motor, hence had to fill and did so by way of jerry cans back to home and in the Boat.
Filled to the brim never thinking of expansion till it actually happened :(, shoulda known better too but there's always a first time ey??.
For several days i would get the smell and see the weep stains down the sternwell so would empty out a bit more till it ceased to happen..
Now??, having read some of the previouse replies regarding "Not covering breather with Boat cover" due it causing water/moisture build up in the tank??.
I have recently purchased a full length Boat Cover for my rig stop the sun doing its dirty work on my canopy as well as Boat and it goes from Bow spit to stern right over my motor as wanted the sun of the motor also.
Mindyou should be have ample airflow around breather area.. So???????whats the alternative or how does one best prevent water build up in their fuel tank???..
Also its one thing in all years of owning a boat i have to say that ive never had water ingress or build up in any of my present or past fuel tanks and its a regular thing i do is inspect tank for water in bottom of said tank..
Pain in ye ole kyba acehole lifting the floor section and removing tank but needs to be done on occasions not only for the water side of it but also good inspection of hull which is mostly covered.

Horse
20-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Mine does the same thing if stored bow up. my breather and filler are at the aft end of the tank. If this is lower than the front then the petrol turns to gas and expands at the front of the tank. The filler and breather are under the new fuel level. As the gas expands it displaces fuel and forces it out the breather or filler

Jsmfun
20-12-2013, 06:50 PM
JSM,
In a sealed unit yes, but,

How can it build up pressure with the two breather pipes?? As the fuel expands wouldn't it relieve the pressure out the breathers?
if the tank is tilted ass down and the tank is 3/4 full aren't the breather pipes covered with fuel hence pocket of air on a angle at front of tank for pressure to build and force fuel out breather holes or does that sound stupid to you

wayno60
20-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Volvo,

Bazz,

Im pretty sure I said that~~~

MyWay
21-12-2013, 01:29 AM
I had same problem fuel was spiting at back of my boat ,I installed front breather on fuel tank and problem was fix . please take boat to trade person to do job . it is very dangerous to drill holes in fuel tanks. this few photos may help