PDA

View Full Version : Rod mounts for tinnie...

robfish 1
19-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Hi guys - I recently acquired a 10ft 'Hunter' tinnie, and am deciding what trolling rod holders to install. As yet, I don't really want to start drilling holes, so have been searching for some gunnel clamp rod holders. I do a lot of shallow water and freshwater trolling, so need the rods as close to horizontal as possible.
The gunnels are only a 'C' section on top of the sides, so there's no width to mount anything on the side decks. There used to be any amount of these clamp on style holders available, but down here in Mexico, they're now a thing of the past!
I've trawled the internet, but have only found what I want, either in chinese factories, but I don't need to buy 200 of them - or pay $60-$80 freight from the US!
Ebay has some, but they're absolute rubbish and will rust up in short order.

Has anyone interstate seen anything like this for sale?

robfish 1
22-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Anyone?...

PeterKroll
23-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Rob, I'm pretty sure I've seen the second one at BCF, but it was simply cast metal.

Jabiru658
23-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Blueline boat accessories have this type of clamp on rod holder, not exactly the same as the ones you posted but they might be suitable.

http://bluelineboats.com.au/boat-accessories.html# <-- web site

http://bluelineboats.com.au/buy-blueline.html <-- store locations

98997 <-- Picture of the clamp (click on it to see the pic).

robfish 1
24-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Blueline boat accessories have this type of clamp on rod holder, not exactly the same as the ones you posted but they might be suitable.

http://bluelineboats.com.au/boat-accessories.html# <-- web site

http://bluelineboats.com.au/buy-blueline.html <-- store locations

98997 <-- Picture of the clamp (click on it to see the pic).

Hey, Jabiru658 - thanks for the response. Yep, it appears that the Blueline range has what I'm after, and a trip to another BCF is in order. My local one at Braeside seems to be carrying less and less boating/fishing gear, and more and more watersports gear. Shame - they used to have a great range before changing to the BCF franchise.

robfish 1
24-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Rob, I'm pretty sure I've seen the second one at BCF, but it was simply cast metal.

Thanks Peter - please see my response to Jabiru658. My local BCF is getting pretty low on boatfishing accessories, due to their move into watersports, such as skis, wakeboarding and towables. Obvious where the money is!

fishychrissy
26-12-2013, 02:15 PM
I've got a couple of the Blueline ones from BCF Mate.
They're not too bad but I would definitely not troll for anything close to substantial with them. Have had them almost pulled from the boat at times just by Grunter and small Bronzies.
Otherwise though, they are not bad for the price. The only problem I have is they have a tendency of getting pulled downwards at the main fixing during a decent bite no matter how tight you have the G clamp. I mount them with a rubber pad underneath too to save the hull. Hope this helps.
Cheers

robfish 1
26-12-2013, 09:05 PM
I've got a couple of the Blueline ones from BCF Mate.
They're not too bad but I would definitely not troll for anything close to substantial with them. Have had them almost pulled from the boat at times just by Grunter and small Bronzies.
Otherwise though, they are not bad for the price. The only problem I have is they have a tendency of getting pulled downwards at the main fixing during a decent bite no matter how tight you have the G clamp. I mount them with a rubber pad underneath too to save the hull. Hope this helps.
Cheers

Thanks fishychrissy - I can only hope that I'll score a flattie big enough to drag the holder around! Or a trout in the freshwater! We're not fortunate enough to have fish that hit like freight trains down here - although the next snapper I score on the troll will be a long way from the first.
Heaviest line I'll be trolling will only be around 3-4kg braid, so I reckon they'll be rigid enough. I'll be heading to a BCF to see what they've got soon. Good idea about the pads - being ally, it's pretty slippery, so pads either side will provide better grip.

Horse
26-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Drill a couple of holes and put in some proper rod holders. The cheaper clamp ones will eventually let you down on the fish you don't want to lose.

fishychrissy
27-12-2013, 09:20 AM
I wish I could Horse but my gunnels aren't that wide.
I have to find another solution
Cheers

Horse
27-12-2013, 10:09 AM
I ran vertical mount bolt-ons on the sides and thwarts as well as a pair angled on the bow bulkhead. You can normally add a pair of flush mounts in the aft corner bracing as well.
You could look at these as well

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Tools/Fishing-Rod-Holders%7C/pc/104793480/c/104720580/sc/104538780/Down-East-Bolt-On-Rod-Holder/699612.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FFishing-Rod-Holders%2F104538780.uts&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104538780

PeterKroll
27-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Something that I've found very useful, is that the rod holders that I use have optional extra rail clamps. So I bought a couple extra, and it's made rod usage really flexible (small joke). So I have two clamps on each rail, which means that I can have two rods on one side when I drift (it can be either side), or two rods out the back when I'm anchored, just by moving the rod holders to different rail clamps. Also means I need less rod holders.

robfish 1
27-12-2013, 08:41 PM
I wish I could Horse but my gunnels aren't that wide.
I have to find another solution
Cheers

Hi guys...had a look at BCF's range (ha!) of rod holders today, and disappointed, fabricated some brackets out of some spare marine ply I had, which are now screwed and glued to a vertical bracing rib, and I've screwed a couple of these rod holders to the ply. Tested with a hard drag on 5kg line, they never moved!

Also went berserk, made a ply floor, then carpeted it and the thwarts, too!
Next job is building some carpeted lockers for storage, maybe a bow mount leccie at some future stage, some new skids for the trailer - Whoa...I'd better get it all registered soon, or I won't be going anywhere!