PDA

View Full Version : I shouldn't have done it.

PeterKroll
18-12-2013, 06:40 PM
One of the posts here reminded me of something fishing related that I shouldn't have done when I was a kid. So, for no good reason, apart from the thought that some of you guys might have a story yourselves to relate, here's my story:

When I was a kid, I used to stay on my uncle's dairy farm at Avondale in Queensland. It was great, getting up with frost and mist everywhere. Cold on the bare feet, but great. Fresh cream from the vat is one memory that sticks in my head. The feeling of warm cow poo squelching up between my toes is a less favourite memory, but a pretty ordinary and unavoidable experience on a dairy farm.

Like all kids, we used to run wild through the countryside. Pack a lunch and gone until nightfall or later. Running madly through the canefields, eating corn straight off the stalk and getting chased through the field by the farmer. All good fun.

And then there was the fishing. The Kolan River was down the bottom of the hill, and it fished pretty well, plenty of bream, lots of sand crabs as well. But there was something bigger to be caught.

There was a large, weed-choked dam about an hour away from the farm, through the hills and onto an adjacent property. A very big artificial dam, compared to what I've seen on other farms. It was created from the ground up, rather than dug up. It may well have also been carved out of the ground, but it had very high walls, and I never swam in there, so I don't know. And why didn't I swim there? Well, there was a bit of a legend about that, at least among the kids. No-one ever swam there, because there was something large inhabiting the dam. Something that could be hooked, but not landed. So we (I) had to do something about it.

Next Christmas, when I went up for the holidays again, I had some 80lb line I had taken from my father's stash. If you've been around for a while, you'll remember Tortue line, and this was Tortue. My father swore by it, and, at least according to me, when it came to fishing, he was the man. And I had a couple of big hooks. I don't know how big, but BIG! And, this being freshwater, we grabbed some steak from the fridge, and we were away.

When we arrived at the dam, I rigged up one of the BIG hooks, stuck a large chunk of steak on it, and threw it into the swampy water. The water was dark and still. A bit scary. You know, when you're in a place like that, and all you can hear are the sounds of the bush, civilization seem like someone else's dream. It sure seemed a long way away. So we took off to play for about a half-hour, and when we came back, the line was taut and something was waiting for us.

I hauled on the line, and it didn't move, well, it moved but not towards me, so my cousin (also Peter) gave a hand. All that happened was that the line broke, and we fell in a heap. It's true that I gave up easily on a lot of things in those days, but not this time. I was a bit scared (well, whatever it was, we knew it was BIG), but I wanted to be the boss man of this little tribe. So I doubled the line, put on another BIG hook, baited and threw it out again. And waited.

It didn't take long, and this creature inhaled the bait again. And stopped. After all, I suppose, where was it going to go? It was king of the dam, but there was no way out.

Again I pulled, and again, Peter helped. And slowly, very reluctantly, and with all kinds of writhings, the king gave up the ghost.

As you have probably guessed, it was an enormous eel, the largest I have seen before or since. And I clubbed it to death with a stick. It was like a scene out of 'Lord of the Flies'. There's no motivation for killing like the need to be the big man.

I don't know quite how big it was, but my memory says that, as I carried it home, draped across a large stick, it touched the ground on both sides. And I was a tall kid (but saying that, I'm willing to admit to the possibility that my memory may have used the perspective of years and wish fulfillment to increase the size of the catch).

What isn't up for debate, is the way my uncle reacted when I showed up at the farm. What I caught from the angry blue tirade that came my way was, that yes, it was an eel; yes, it was big; yes, they knew it was there because they put it there, and yes, it had a reason to be there and that was that it ate the bloody lobbies (freshwater crayfish) which would otherwise tunnel into the walls of the dam, and then there would be no bloody water in the dam, and was I some kind of idiot? (The answer was, at least in his eyes, YES!).

But it was really when I felt the lift from his barefoot kick to my young and unprotected arse as I disappeared around the corner of the farm house to head for the scrub again, followed by my wailing cousins (who knew that their time would come), I finally got the picture that really, oh really, I shouldn't have done it.

tunaticer
18-12-2013, 07:28 PM
I feel like your uncle so many times these days when i see young fools or stupid adults killing for the sake of killing then wasting it. Especially with the shark hunters, what glory is there in knocking off bull shark after bull shark?? It certainly does not help the environment killing them unless you want to eat them.

PeterKroll
18-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey, Jack. I'm with you, older and supposedly wiser (up for debate, some would say). I eat what I kill, and if I'm not going to eat it, I try not to damage it when I put it back. I have to say, though, when I was a kid, the idea that the world wouldn't always regenerate was not really understood.

robfish 1
18-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Hey, Jack. I'm with you, older and supposedly wiser (up for debate, some would say). I eat what I kill, and if I'm not going to eat it, I try not to damage it when I put it back. I have to say, though, when I was a kid, the idea that the world wouldn't always regenerate was not really understood.

Hmmm...I totally agree with you all on this subject - and it was first brought home by my dad, many years ago when I was in my early teens. Dad, although an avid hunter and fisho, was also well ahead of his time in being a conservationist - not that at the time we even knew what the word meant!
I well remember cycling down to my local pier when the gars were running, and struggling to cycle home with the kilos and kilos of gars I'd caught.
I finally arrived home to proudly show my haul to my dad - who then led me out to the filleting table, gave me a fillet knife, and instructed me to fillet every last one of the gars. Sometime during the next several hours and if I recall correctly, well over 200 gars later, it dawned on me that there really hadn't been a need to cull that many fish - and from then on, I've tried hard to limit my kill, not kill my limit.
Even despite arguments to the contrary. I also recall a day on the PPB snapper many years later, when I hit a purple patch - and every bait was getting taken. After boating three fish, I decided to let all mouth-hooked snapper go from then on. Final tally? 4 keepers and 17 fish returned to the water. Damned glad I did it too - as my kids are also able to share the joy now, many years on. I returned to the ramp, pleased as punch, and with photos to prove it, and was treated with ridicule by my fisho mates! Their argument was that if the fish were there, it was my god-given right to take as many as I could - thank the stars that attitudes have changed!

PeterKroll
18-12-2013, 08:44 PM
I had a similar experience. I caught a literal bag full of whiting down the boat passage at Bargara where I grew up. My father, rather than being impressed, stood me at the cleaning table outside the house, and handed me a scaler and a filleting knife. After I had finished (which took some hours as I was slow at filleting), I had the worst case on sunburn on the back of my legs that I have ever had.

I learnt the lesson, though.

Still_Dreamin
18-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Reminds of a dam behind dakabin shs that we tried to catch the monster in about 30 years ago. Never got a bite but we were convinced there was something big in there.

PeterKroll
19-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Still_Dreamin, did you swim there?

PeterKroll
19-12-2013, 05:53 AM
You know, I still remember the massive fish kills that used to happen for comps, even the bream comps down the Pin. A lot of those fish were simply dumped after the weigh-in.

I also remember when the Junior Spearfishing comp was held at Bargara. I went fishing the day after the comp, and the water, which was normally alive with fish, was as empty as if it had been dragged with a tunnel net. Everything had been killed.

I'm glad we don't do that now, and I'm not proud that we did it then. But it's easy to be wise in hindsight, not so easy when you're in the middle of it.

A case in point was the annual tailor run at Bargara. When I was about 7 or 8, the run would be acres and acres of fish, chopping like mad, a solid blanket of baitfish crowding into the shallow pools in the rocks around my feet. It was totally mad, exciting, exhilarating.

As time passed, the bait shoals shrank year by year until there was no bait run to speak of. Naturally, year by year, there were less and less tailor. When I left home at 16 to move to Brisbane, the tailor run consisted of a few small patches for a few days. There were tailor around during the normal season, but nothing to speak of. The days when you could literally cut the handle off a chrome spoon, and punch a couple of holes in it for line and hook, and pretty well catch as many fish as you wanted, were long gone.

This is unusual for me. I don't reminisce. I don't look back. But here I am doing it. I wonder what hindsight will say about this behaviour.

Still_Dreamin
19-12-2013, 06:02 AM
Still_Dreamin, did you swim there?

R u kidding ? There was a monster in there just waiting to eat kids ;)

netmaker
19-12-2013, 09:20 AM
hahaha. good story peter. funny how kids don't seem to think about the value that whole gar or whiting represent as bait...

PeterKroll
19-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Netmaker, I wondered about that for a while, and it finally clicked..... No home freezers back then.

PeterKroll
19-12-2013, 02:12 PM
R u kidding ? There was a monster in there just waiting to eat kids ;)

Might be the perfect place for a M&G...

netmaker
19-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Netmaker, I wondered about that for a while, and it finally clicked..... No home freezers back then.

geez mate. you must be oooooold.

PeterKroll
19-12-2013, 03:41 PM
geez mate. you must be oooooold.

[Wheeze][Cough.. cough... cough..] That's what they all [Wheeze.. Cough] say. :P