PDA

View Full Version : Help plz stinky situation.

Wingman86
18-12-2013, 10:57 AM
O noooos my bait box has spilt in the back of my pathfinder all over the carpet. I've washed it and it still stinks like dead bait. Any suggestions to get rid of the smell :(. Plz help wife rage...

netmaker
18-12-2013, 11:26 AM
divorce may be the simplest way out. alternatively a half barrow of fresh cow pats should help cover up bait smell...
but seriously you could try a couple bottles of nilodor.

Chimo
18-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Can you take the carpet out?
I've been using the karcher even on wool carpet with great success. Best result is to hit the bottom side with the carpet spread across an old screen door for best drainage.

Ive also used Odour Kill on fixed in boat carpet and its good too. Elite Chemicals make it. 20ml per litre of warm water.

"Germicidal Disinfectant" "Cleans disinfects and deodorizes in one operation" as the label says.

Great on boat loos if your gentlemen guests cannot get it in the bowl too. (my quote)

If your on the Gold Coast let me know if you want to grab a few mls.

Cheers
Chimo

PS Happy Wife, Happy Life!

therapy
18-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Call one of the professional carpet cleaner people to come out and do it. In future, use plastics.

cormorant
18-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Shannon Lush is the guru. can't copy and paste hers but this is similar one below. . yep I have left the tap on the bait esky open and ..........phew ...eyewatering. First one before reading her stuff I removed and hosed off for OK results and a smell but vinegar 2nd time was loads better and used wet and dry vac.

usual disclaimer - do a test spot but with nylon car carpets vinegar shouldn't do a lot I wouldn't think and come out smell free. The backing if it has underfelt may be harder to get the smell out. Got to break down the fish oils , remove em to stop rancid smell and kill off the bacteria

If you can lift the carpet and get fresh towels under it and wipe up all the stuff off the metal. Borrow a mates wet and dry vacume if you don't have one and you can allow the area to get wet and dry it out pretty well. When you are done leave boot open and air it long after you think it is dry.

Buy some essential oil Clove and a few drops in warm water in a spray bottle and spray on and wet vac off will stop moulds , bacteria etc growing. Eucalyptus oil sort of works as well. Do complete carpet as it will stop one spot looking clean.

Keep changing fresh old towels underneath carpet as the stuff leeches through.

Local car detailing shop with have a decent wet and dry and give it a go if you couldn't be bothered.

Instructions

1 Pour baking soda onto the area from which the fish smell odor is coming. Let the powder sit on the area for 30 minutes to absorb any fishy moisture that may have soaked into the carpet fibers. Baking soda has the additional benefit of possessing odor-absorbing properties.
2 Vacuum away the baking soda using a standard vacuum cleaner.
3 douse the carpet with standard white vinegar available from your grocery store. Vinegar's naturally acidic nature will neutralize all fishy smells and odors in the carpet. Saturate the carpet thoroughly with the vinegar, and allow the vinegar to soak for 30 minutes.
4 Mop up the vinegar with a rag or paper towels, and allow the region to air-dry thoroughly. Rinsing with water is not needed. The vinegar smell will dissipate over time to leave behind a fresh-smelling carpet.
5 deep clean the carpet with a carpet shampooing and steaming appliance as an alternative to baking soda and vinegar if the fish odor emanates from physical contamination, such as fish blood that may have soaked into the carpet. Individuals who don't own their own carpet shampooer and steamer can often rent one from a hardware or home appliance store.

Wingman86
18-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Yeah the carpet can come out after having a good look. Might give that baking soda idea a try. Someone suggested vinegar to me as well. The divorce option was a good laugh my general fishing buddies are my inlaws :p. not a fan of fishing solo hahaha. Will let ya all know how it goes

Owen
18-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Vanilla essence will sort it

rids01
23-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Time to buy a ute mate 8-)

Volvo
23-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Definetly cant be worse than your pet Moggy chasing a mouse/halfe grown rat into one of your hubcaps without your knowledge of it being in there and driving around and wandering where that increasing smell is comming from till the missus has the car out in the driveway washing it and pieces start dropping out from the said hubcap!!.. Took some time to get rid of the stink i can tellya !!, eventually it did and got rid of the vehicle also:)..
If you can get the carpet out and if it hasnt leeched through the carpet i would give it a good wash, spray with disinfetant , let air for week or so, and spray with car deoderant prior to putting back in car..

2DKnBJ
23-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Jeez..I hope my missus dosen't see this thread.
A certain part of my anatomy may be in a spot of trouble...

T-REX
26-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Sifting through all the advice above:
Givet it out and give it a good clean and dry in the shade over a rack. Follow owens tip and give it a spray with Vanilla essence but dont over do it. You can buy a Vanilla fridge deodorizer ( McLintocks ) that will do the job. Have used it on freezers that have died and not found for a week and it works wonders. Again make sure you do not over use it as the heat in the car makes it a bit strong.
Cheers