PDA

View Full Version : Estimate a value for a year 2000 seafarer victory HULL ONLY

fairpractice
17-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Hi All, I know most boats are valued using the B.M.T value, plus extras but would really appreciate some honest opinions of the HULL value of a 2000 seafarer victory.

I think a maker's reputation adds to the price in this case, but we are talking 13 years (young)/ old hull here.

I'm thinking the wiring would need to be replaced by this age as well.

Would $20K be a fair estimate? To be honest, I wouldn't have a clue.

Just hit me with a few figures , no need to justify anything.

Thanks John.

surveyor
17-12-2013, 08:02 PM
hi depends on the condition and equipment but it is more than I d pay however add a new trailer $ 8000 and new outboard $25000 maybe some new electronics $2000 really depends on if the hull is worth spending the extra money on as well as the cost .look around at whats available for $40-50000 and theres your answer

FisHard
17-12-2013, 10:26 PM
I'd pay $ 20k for a good nick 2000 Victory Hull. If you did spend $8000 on a trailer and picked up a 150 Opti for $15000, for a total spend of mid 40s, you've got a good rig.

fairpractice
18-12-2013, 05:10 AM
Hi. Thanks for your opinions.
Some sellers of this model boat seem reluctant to realize that a 13 year old boat hull is just that. Makes me think that a hull with a good reputation may be worth refurbishing and repowering.
Do fiberglass boats last for ever? Your opinion on this aspect also welcome.
Thanks john

Chimo
18-12-2013, 05:29 AM
What motor is on it now?
What trailer is it on?
Whats the frp surface like, chalky, well polished? Any scratches or dings, how is the keel?
Whats the floor like?
Any movement in the transom when you swing on the existing motor?

stevemid
18-12-2013, 08:03 AM
I believe fibreglass does last forever, particularly on a trailer boat not subject to osmosis. Solid glass just does not deteriorate. Like someone said on the glass vs. plate thread, with glass, grind it bog it and paint it; presto you have a new hull. Now going to the stringers and everything from the floor down, the transom, and the trailer, you know that eventually wood rots, iron rusts, and motors die, IMO.
Steve

thelump
18-12-2013, 10:30 AM
20k for a 13 year old hull. No thankyou. But there are plenty that love the Seafarers so maybe you will get it. I just think for another 5-10k you can get yourself a good offshore boat ready to roll. Probably with a 4 stroke!

fairpractice
18-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Hi to 'thelump'. Mate I'm buying not selling and what I think is that boats with a good reputation are overpriced.
I would welcome your suggested alternative boats especially with 4 stroke outboards.
thanks john.

fairpractice
18-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Hi 'chimo' Motor is 2 stroke; 3-400hrs worth about $5K. Trailer $0. Hull in good nick but suspect wiring (age).
Hence the question what is the seafarer victory 13year old hull alone worth?
It's easy to value motors and trailers but hard to value hulls.
Thanks john

Chimo
18-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi John

What breed of motor?

The Vic would be the later hull by the way.

thelump
18-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Hi to 'thelump'. Mate I'm buying not selling and what I think is that boats with a good reputation are overpriced.
I would welcome your suggested alternative boats especially with 4 stroke outboards.
thanks john.

There is a Cruisecraft in the classified here for 19k with a 4 stroke!

Hi 'chimo' Motor is 2 stroke; 3-400hrs worth about $5K. Trailer $0. Hull in good nick but suspect wiring (age).
Hence the question what is the seafarer victory 13year old hull alone worth?
It's easy to value motors and trailers but hard to value hulls.
Thanks john

3-400hrs is nothing for a 2000 model motor. At the end of the day they do command big dollars for what they are and IMHO they are not worth it. But maybe that's just me? Like I said there must be something there if they are still getting that sort of money. Have you been for a ride in one?

Still_Dreamin
18-12-2013, 01:03 PM
If you know the price of motors, trailers, accessories then can't you work backward from a bmt package to find out the price of the hull

burleygu
18-12-2013, 07:09 PM
20k for a 13 year old hull only is ridiculous! is this boat complete? And you only see value in the hull? If so look elsewhere

Chimo
18-12-2013, 07:36 PM
From an earlier post "Motor is 2 stroke; 3-400hrs worth about $5K. Trailer $0. Hull in good nick but suspect wiring (age)."

outta line
18-12-2013, 07:50 PM
hi ....when i was looking for a victory 4.5 years ago i got a quote for a new hull with standard features only (haines built hull)...back then the price was $30,515.25 + gst = $33,566.78 . i also have a price list of all optional extras as well...they had a boat show special BMT 175 suzuki / dunbier (hydraulic brakes) package with some fitted options for $78,9990 ...

i was never keen on buying a haines built hull after knowing the build quality of a fry built hull as i owned and fished out of 2001 5.5 vouge for 8 years.. I ended up buying a second hand 2004 vic with just about every optional extra .. old mate had evan put a set top box with dvd in the cab..left his ninja turtle dvd in the player ...LOL...

let me know if you would like a copy of the options price list might help with your decision on price of the hull you are looking at
this hull you are thinking about buying is that the original motor ? so the hull has only 3-400 hours use? is it or was it on a trailer or kept in the water?
cheers mick

odes20
19-12-2013, 07:25 AM
its interesting seeing what price sellers start at on decent boats. Often way over. And no matter what we think of our price as a seller, in the end buyers will either ignore it or snap it up. Opinions of the price don't really hold a lot of sway. Im looking for a particular hull at the moment, and I have a value on what im prepared to pay for it. As a buyer,Research and more research will help, but at the end of the day it may be sold before you decide its worth it. And frankly I would be inclined to pay a bit more for the exact boat / hull I want.

Jarrah Jack
19-12-2013, 08:09 AM
What are you after Odes? I've got a long term plan to get hold of a 565L or C.

odes20
19-12-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm not seeking to replace my current rig, which is a YALTA Odessa 20ft with Zuk 175 4 stroke. Funnily I'm after an older Pride called a Cavalier as a project boat. I owned one years ago before the Yalta and as a 17ft rig it was an amazing sea boat and the driest boat I ever owned. Plans are to build an awesome sportsfishing centre console out of one for my son and I

fairpractice
19-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi Odes 20, I accept your comment and would like to hear from a member with experience with the seafarer victory.

Is it worth the effort to restore an older boat?

Thanks john

odes20
19-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Yep that would be ideal as personal experience with a particular boat is priceless. In respect of restoring, I would say its worth it if you are able to do most of it yourself, as you can guarantee the quality of the work and do exactly as you want. It can get expensive to have to pay others to do this kind of work for you. Im sure most boat builders are worthy of their charges, as fiberglassing is not necessarily a fun job. You obviously save heaps if you can work with wood, fiberglass, and epoxies, and 2 pack paints :)
Hi Odes 20, I accept your comment and would like to hear from a member with experience with the seafarer victory.

Is it worth the effort to restore an older boat?

Thanks john

burleygu
19-12-2013, 10:53 PM
My haines sig 1850L was advertised for 14 grand. I went and looked at the boat and I was honest with everything I pointed out. I left saying I was not interested in the boat and I couldn't pay anymore then 7 grand if I was even interested because of the work that needed to be done to it. 2 weeks later I owned the boat for 7 grand. There is a full rebuild of the boat here somewhere my hull is 22 years old a lot older yes. But every bit of timber in the boat had some sort of rot. and fiberglass does not last for ever if uncared for. Osmosis can get into fiberglass and separate it which takes away its structural integrity. I fully rebuilt my boat and its 30 times stronger then when it was new and I love it!! and cost me a lot less then buying something as a going concern.

odes20
20-12-2013, 06:42 AM
Pretty much what I did to my Yalta. I know every nook and cranny and rebuilt it stronger too. I have either rebuilt or assisted the rebuild of about 6 hulls and can honestly say all could have had much better attention to detail and construction under the floors etc including big names like HH and H Sig.
My haines sig 1850L was advertised for 14 grand. I went and looked at the boat and I was honest with everything I pointed out. I left saying I was not interested in the boat and I couldn't pay anymore then 7 grand if I was even interested because of the work that needed to be done to it. 2 weeks later I owned the boat for 7 grand. There is a full rebuild of the boat here somewhere my hull is 22 years old a lot older yes. But every bit of timber in the boat had some sort of rot. and fiberglass does not last for ever if uncared for. Osmosis can get into fiberglass and separate it which takes away its structural integrity. I fully rebuilt my boat and its 30 times stronger then when it was new and I love it!! and cost me a lot less then buying something as a going concern.

fairpractice
20-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Hi Odes20 and other rebuilders.

What years approximately did f.g. makers start to build light?

Spoke to commercial rebuilder and Burleygu's job would have cost around $13K with him.
Cheers john

Chimo
20-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Seafarer was not built light when it was Seafarer which the one your considering is if it 13 yrs old ie 2000 ish build.

My Vagabond is a few years earlier and it certainly is not a light build.