PDA

View Full Version : Johnson 9.9HP service

Mark0
17-12-2013, 02:34 PM
I have inherited an old Johnson 9.9HP outboard I an wanting to put on my boat, its pretty old and not been used for a long time, I have got it started today and it seems to run just fine.

But I wanted to know:

1 - how hard is it to replace the cord that starts it as it looks a bit shoddy
2 - is there anytihng else I should replace on it, or should I service it ?
3 - Apparently there is a trick to turn these motors from a 9.9 to a 15 HP by a carby change any one seen how to do this ?

Model is J10BACCD

cheers

Chimo
17-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Where are you located?

Mark0
17-12-2013, 02:51 PM
pics attached

Mark0
17-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Gold Coast

Chimo
17-12-2013, 05:13 PM
IMHO you would be best to get it serviced and change the plugs, the cord as well as the impeller and whatever else is needed and if you can hang around while the work is done you will get all you other questions answered at the same time.
On the GC you have a few good service people options but your probably going to be pushing to get much done at this time of year.::)

Cheers
Chimo

cormorant
17-12-2013, 05:32 PM
most of the old steel tanks will have rust in em so get rid of it if it has.

Do not let ethanol fuel near that motor.

Compression test it so you know what you have got.

Check the gauze filter at the fuel pump is clear and also check the lower unit gear oil , thermostat on the above list. Pull start rope si no big deal to replace. If it wasn't regularly serviced don't be surprised if some bolts snap.

The full service manual for that motor should be on the net

If it is a good motor and worth maintaining use the hell out of it with good fuel and oil , flush it and you get years out of it.

davo
17-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Hold off on the 9.9 to 15 conversion. If the motor is worn it could kill it. The 15 HP versions were trouble because they reved too hard so you might be causing too many problems. Also I think that model was 100: 1 fuel/oil. Don't do it. Johnson had problems with that. My brother in law had the 8 HP in that model and the dealer said 75:1 was way better.