PDA

View Full Version : New Pontoons?

Blackened
16-12-2013, 06:55 PM
G'day

Looks like both public ramps in Manly Barbour are getting new pontoons installed. Can anyone confirm if any other work is being done?

Dave

DAVE_S
16-12-2013, 07:46 PM
The one to the north has had 1 more lane added , are they going to put a pontoon down the middle ? . Not a lot of room for beaching of boats .
The one to the south looks like its getting a pontoon on the left .

honda900
16-12-2013, 08:43 PM
The pile driver anchored (for want of a better description) on the southern side is a pain, they have almost knocked out one of the two ramps, hopefully a little pain for some gain, but who knows what they are up too.

Regards
Honda.

Shawn 66
17-12-2013, 06:09 AM
The pile driver anchored (for want of a better description) on the southern side is a pain, they have almost knocked out one of the two ramps, hopefully a little pain for some gain, but who knows what they are up too.

Regards
Honda.

Then again mate , at least you are getting some improvements . Try using the ramp at Deepwater Bend on the Pine , shite fight is a word that comes to mind.
Shawn

MTAQ/BTAQ
17-12-2013, 07:03 AM
There is something going on at Scarborough as well, "they" have blocked off about a quarter of the car park and are fitting together some project - anyone know what this is? (Even "strong wind warning Pete" who lives on an anchored vessel there was asking me and he should know!)

LittleSkipper
17-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Then again mate , at least you are getting some improvements . Try using the ramp at Deepwater Bend on the Pine , shite fight is a word that comes to mind.
Shawn

Shawn! I'd have to agree with you, Deepwater bend can be shocking when busy and is in need of some improving with all the rubber necks that use it like it's there own personnel pontoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Blackened
18-12-2013, 05:24 PM
G'day

Well as of this afternoon, the piles were in at the southern ramp, and the barge with excavator was gone.

I've only seen the northern ramp from a distance on the fingers at the MBTBC. If the northern ramp was getting widened, all good but did it really need an extra lane? Maybe it does if there's a pontoon going down the middle, essentially taking one lane up itself.

Dave

honda900
18-12-2013, 06:18 PM
G'day

Well as of this afternoon, the piles were in at the southern ramp, and the barge with excavator was gone.

I've only seen the northern ramp from a distance on the fingers at the MBTBC. If the northern ramp was getting widened, all good but did it really need an extra lane? Maybe it does if there's a pontoon going down the middle, essentially taking one lane up itself.

Dave

Dave,

I was wondering whether the barge was at the southern end was there to add a pontoon or to add more space /depth for East coast marina, which has just been upgraded recently, I suspect its the later, maybe just making it deeper?? so they can get more boats on the water, as it was pretty shallow on that side..

Regards
Honda.

Mike Delisser
18-12-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm glad to see any money spent on rec anglers, but I'll put the question forward....."is this the best spend of the extremely limited funds allocated to Qld's rec anglers"? Perhaps it is, I don't use the Manly or Scarb ramps myself, can't boats be launched there without having several pontoons?
Whats the total cost of these pontoons? I'm assuming its a fair bit. Is that reasonable if only 25% of angling in Qld is done from a rec boat? And the average boat size in Qld is around 4mts. The recent crop of reef balls cost almost $300,000 and they would't be accessible to the vast majority of Brizzy rec anglers.
I spent about 1 & 1/2 hours at the fish cleaning table at Clontarf last Sat arvo (I'm very slow at cleaning squid), must have been 30 + craft use the 4 lane ramp right in front of me, but I can only recall seeing 1 use the adjacent pontoon. The rest either held their boat on the ramp, used the 10mt strip of sand beside the ramp, of idled a little of the ramp while their mate got the trailer.

I know and accept there are obvious reasons for a pontoon to be available at some ramps, and I'm sure there are some not so obvious reasons I wouldn't be aware of as well. I'm not against them at all.
I'd just like to hear some thoughts on the subject of the pontoons in relation to rec fishing needs overall.

team_mongo
18-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Pontoons are for boaters, not necessarily for rec anglers...
Eg. Spearos, divers, PWC, cruisers etc etc.
I'd like to think that the funds came out of boat regos, maybe someone can be tell us where it is funded from.

Until you pay to go fishing, you have no more say about rec angler funds and how they are spent than any non angling tax payer..

TM

PS you wont see many offshore boats launching from clontarf.

Blackened
19-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Dave,

I was wondering whether the barge was at the southern end was there to add a pontoon or to add more space /depth for East coast marina, which has just been upgraded recently, I suspect its the later, maybe just making it deeper?? so they can get more boats on the water, as it was pretty shallow on that side..

Regards
Honda.

G'day

East Coast doesn't need anymore space in the water there, ony the storage facilities have been upgraded and to be honest, it's a much better use of the hardstand now, although the cradle area has been greatly reduced... it still works well.

The barge was back there this afternoon, obviously alternating between both ramps and there's now about 3 piles driven into the seabed as it sits now, will have another look tomorrow.

As for best use of the funds? Don't know, it's a point to look into I suppose, but I don't really carte,. just glad to be seeing something coming back.

Dave