PDA

View Full Version : Mudcrab season wide bay NEED HELP

jamie247
16-12-2013, 09:47 AM
ok guys is this region crabbed out or is it not season yet?, I put 1 pot in last week and got 1 crab a female, then this weekend I went to 3 different spots put 4 pots in and got 2 undersize males, I'm really starting to get depressed cuase I put so much effort in with no return I drive all round the hervey bay/mbro region walk pots in by foot pick tides etc different baits and to no avail but yet I hear blokes saying they got 6-8 crabs around the same area either they are experts or there taking undersize crabs or lifting others pots what can I do to up my success rate on catching these yums yums

manta man
16-12-2013, 11:22 AM
ok guys is this region crabbed out or is it not season yet?, I put 1 pot in last week and got 1 crab a female, then this weekend I went to 3 different spots put 4 pots in and got 2 undersize males, I'm really starting to get depressed cuase I put so much effort in with no return I drive all round the hervey bay/mbro region walk pots in by foot pick tides etc different baits and to no avail but yet I hear blokes saying they got 6-8 crabs around the same area either they are experts or there taking undersize crabs or lifting others pots what can I do to up my success rate on catching these yums yums

First thing what area do you live in. I know the area quite well, lived up in the Tin Can bay area for a few years. I noticed on your previous thread, you had found a hole with quite a few inlets or gutters feeding into it. So is this where your latest crabbing adventure was? I might be able to give some advice.

jamie247
16-12-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm in Maryborough but do go crabbing at hervey bay also, only tried tuan creek with little results just want some good crabbing for once I'm nearly ready to give up trying which is sad but when your catching jack s**T you lose all faith, last year was ok but this year has been very sad indeed so far

jamie247
16-12-2013, 11:38 AM
yeah I tried the inlet and only had 1 male crab round 13cm, but on further inspection it is no secret spot and looks like the pros hit it the week before, I hid the pots pretty damn good so I doubt they where lifted etc I just think theres stuff all there, when I was leaving I did talk to fisheries who where just checking people out as most people pump yabbies etc I mentioned bout crabbing and had my pots in my ute they said that they had got reports of a pro who dropped 50 pots up there but couldn't find any proof no floats etc, I also tried toogoom BEELBI creek and ELI CREEK both places are obviously over crabbed to everyhere I thought was secluded has had people there on arrival I just want my own little crabhole heaven LOL any help be appreciated

manta man
16-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Mate with no rain about, i"d be trying the upper reaches of the Mary River, plenty of salty water (Even in the Central Town area) leave them in overnight for about 12 hrs. They will be there somewhere you just have to persist. (Oh the only 2 Baits i"ll use for Muddies are Catfish or Mullet). One more thing what sought of Pots are you using?

jamie247
17-12-2013, 06:53 AM
yeah mate I'm thinking the mary this weekend and see how I go there I really think we need days of rain to flush them out maybe, I got the boat ready to hit the mary this weekend, as for pots I'm using heavy duty round 4 entry pots, I have been using catfood etc, but I'm gonna switch to chicken legs/prawn heads and mullet pieces soked in tuna oil thanks for the help only want 6 for xmas

robsue
17-12-2013, 07:38 AM
when I worked at meatworks years ago, I used 1/2 pig heads for muddies, they loved them

jamie247
17-12-2013, 08:12 AM
have heard the pighead treatment also roo tail is meant to be good to might just get a head and tail and see how I go also

jamie247
19-12-2013, 08:37 PM
ok ive now tried beelbi creek, eli creek, pulgul creek and to no avail covered in mud and sandflies for 2 weeks in a row I'm done my crabbing season is over might just sell the boat and give up alltogether

Chong
23-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Jamie,
I have been getting some good crabs in the Mary, bit hit and miss, got 4 the other day, then none, then one...
Just got to keep at it.
Cheers

jamie247
23-12-2013, 01:13 PM
about to go and get my pots chong will let you know how I went it got the better of me I aint no quitter hears hoping I got the family a feed for xmas a mate went to get his yesterday got 6 1 day 2 the next time will tell

jamie247
23-12-2013, 07:32 PM
not real happy had 2 pots cut and lost and 2 lifted and emptied only got 1 crab a good size 1 I will never crab this region ever again nor fish I mayswell just sell boat and give up the local pro has done me in his pots where right where mine where so it's check mate if your crabbing in the mary river be careful

Schulzy
24-12-2013, 02:13 PM
You have to try marroom area try to find little gutters on big tides you will have to push through the mangroves to get up into some of the best spots

coopersman
24-12-2013, 02:21 PM
fish where u can see them !!!