PDA

View Full Version : Did you loose a crab pot in cabbage tree creek mouth on Friday?

TheRealAndy
15-12-2013, 09:11 PM
If so, you will find it half a mile out past the leads. That about where I managed to untangle it from the rudder of my sailboat after you left it in the middle of the channel. Its a shame that I could not hang onto the rope (I tried) so that I could pull it back on board and get your details and abuse you.

Please folks, dont place your pots in a narrow channel. I hooked up to this one on my catamaran, which is quite wide. It was 8:30pm and was dark. I spotted it at the last minute and tried to get around it, but its hard when you have a sail up. There was nothing I could do until I was well clear of the leads.

gruntahunta
16-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Well, there will be someone saying the thieving share farmers stole our pot. I believe this happens way more than pots getting stolen, lines cut by props and it's gone.

Triple
16-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Spot on Grunta.. I reckon a lot of the "my pots were pinched" brigade are the ones that have miles of extra floating rope with NO lead weight attached or way too little amount of rope for the depth there in or use dark coloured floats or milk/oil bottles as floats and put them in high traffic areas or channels.

kaspa2009
16-12-2013, 12:30 PM
If so, you will find it half a mile out past the leads. That about where I managed to untangle it from the rudder of my sailboat after you left it in the middle of the channel. Its a shame that I could not hang onto the rope (I tried) so that I could pull it back on board and get your details and abuse you.

Please folks, dont place your pots in a narrow channel. I hooked up to this one on my catamaran, which is quite wide. It was 8:30pm and was dark. I spotted it at the last minute and tried to get around it, but its hard when you have a sail up. There was nothing I could do until I was well clear of the leads.

I've had a few pots stolen or perhaps I didn't set them right and they drifted further than I expected in cabbage tree creek. Could it have been an honest mistake?

fishychrissy
16-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Spot on Grunta.. I reckon a lot of the "my pots were pinched" brigade are the ones that have miles of extra floating rope with NO lead weight attached or way too little amount of rope for the depth there in or use dark coloured floats or milk/oil bottles as floats and put them in high traffic areas or channels.

Don't tar us responsible people who take care to put our pots out of channels and high traffic areas with the same brush Mate.
All my floats are doused with fluoro line marking paint as well as my details too.
Have a gripe at those whose floats are barely holding above the surface, and the only markings are from algae.
Sorry I must be mistaken, it would be dugongs that check my pots then.
Cheers

gruntahunta
17-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Don't tar us responsible people who take care to put our pots out of channels and high traffic areas with the same brush Mate.
All my floats are doused with fluoro line marking paint as well as my details too.
Have a gripe at those whose floats are barely holding above the surface, and the only markings are from algae.
Sorry I must be mistaken, it would be dugongs that check my pots then.
Cheers

if you can read mate, I did not say all.......and I did not have a gripe mate at anyone, just saying that pots will float if in current, pots will go under if rope not long enough, pots will be cut if rope not weighed down etc etc........you are right, it is easy to see which pots won't still be there when the owners come back....so to all you responsible people who know how to and where to place your crab pots, as fishychrissy obviously does, well done.

oh yeah, also always blame the share farmers when there are only females and undersized bucks in the pot and no keepers, has to have raided!

geeeeeeezzzzzz

TheRealAndy
17-12-2013, 07:39 AM
I've had a few pots stolen or perhaps I didn't set them right and they drifted further than I expected in cabbage tree creek. Could it have been an honest mistake?

NOt sure how you set up your pots, but if you put them in the middle of the channel, especially between the outer leads and baxters jetty then you have a sure fire way to loose them to props and rudders (like the one I picked up)

Also, in a good tide in cabbage tree creek (full moon) your pots are easily picked up and dragged out to see by the current. Seen it all to many times. If you must put pots in during high or king tides, weight them down with a brick and use elongated floats. Somewhere here is post I made years ago regarding my pot setup. I use lead to hold ropes down, then use a double float system. I also have a selection of spliced ropes of different sizes that I can change depending on the depth of the water I am setting the pots in.

fishychrissy
17-12-2013, 08:26 AM
if you can read mate, I did not say all.......and I did not have a gripe mate at anyone, just saying that pots will float if in current, pots will go under if rope not long enough, pots will be cut if rope not weighed down etc etc........you are right, it is easy to see which pots won't still be there when the owners come back....so to all you responsible people who know how to and where to place your crab pots, as fishychrissy obviously does, well done.

oh yeah, also always blame the share farmers when there are only females and undersized bucks in the pot and no keepers, has to have raided!

geeeeeeezzzzzz

Hey gruntahunta,

Yes I can read thanks Mate, but I wasn't even using your quote in my reply...so, can you read lol?
Cheers

fishychrissy
17-12-2013, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=gruntahunta;1525908]

geeeeeeezzzzzz[/QUOTE

Not sure which marine mammals in the Passage carry a pair of sidecutters to cut zip ties??:P

Seriously though, it is a real problem when cruising around there at night, you need a fulltime spotlight setup to see them at times, you never know when one will turn up. The other night they were right in the channel going back to the ramp.
They turn up in the most random places, not sure if Crabs enjoy battling the current in those areas, when they could be finding food in the less turbulent areas.
Some creeks down my way are a maze of pots, just makes it a pain in the proverbial to even try and venture up there, let alone have a fish there.

Dignity
17-12-2013, 09:05 AM
I guess it must be Christmas time, lots of milk bottles, very new polystyrene floats, floats in the middle of channels and in some cases deliberately placed there not just floaters. Last year I drifted over what appeared to be 30 metres of rope in the water to see it tied to a float, presumably a crab pot at the other end and this was in water that was only 4 metres deep on the highest tides.
I had a pot shift 50 metres last year even though it was weighted but the suspect was a combination of high weed content and very high tide, I had also placed it deeper than usual and it was affected by the current. The weed covered the pot and the current certainly exerted some force against it.

robsue
17-12-2013, 09:38 AM
fisheries say they are cracking down/having a blitz on fishing regs but never seem to do anything about illegal floats like milk bottles etc......

Triple
17-12-2013, 09:47 AM
I reckon a lot of the "my pots were pinched" brigade

Not All, 100% of, everyone, the whole lot of... Tar, brush??? I will stand by what I say if ALL crabbers used appropriate sized and coloured floats with good knots and the correct amount of rope with lead weights attached every 2m or so and weighted pots in high tidal flow areas and not placed in channels or high traffic areas and zip tied pots closed, then A LOT of the "my pots were stolen/raided" threads we see in here wouldn't exist. Yes a lot of people do it right too and pots still do go missing/raided but you can eliminate some of the various possibilities by using a bit if common sense.

thelump
17-12-2013, 09:48 AM
Now I am not a Yachty, and I know nothing about sailing, but why would you be under sail in a narrow channel/creek? I would have thought it better to motor out past the leads then set sail? Doesn't change the stupid pot placement but just curious.

TheRealAndy
17-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Now I am not a Yachty, and I know nothing about sailing, but why would you be under sail in a narrow channel/creek? I would have thought it better to motor out past the leads then set sail? Doesn't change the stupid pot placement but just curious.

We were motor sailing. ITs much easier to put sails up on the pontoon than out in moreton bay. Plus with the sails up, the boat is a lot more balanced and handles better in the chop. The boat is 25foot 500kg race boat, so it handles a lot different to most yachts.

Shawn 66
17-12-2013, 11:24 AM
fisheries say they are cracking down/having a blitz on fishing regs but never seem to do anything about illegal floats like milk bottles etc......
I may be wrong, however I seem to remember FQ stating that milk bottles are permissible as floats for pots. Not that I agree.
Shawn

fishychrissy
17-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Just got this off the Fisheries site:

I quote:

"When not attached to a fixed object (for example tied to a tree above the high water mark), all crab apparatus must have a light coloured surface float attached. The float must not be less than 15 cm in any dimension and must be marked clearly with the owner's name."

Guess a milk bottle might qualify for this, but that's all the info I could find.

Amazing the amount of floats out there bearing no markings.

Cheers

sharkymark2
17-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Most milk bottles would be 100mm wide at their narrowest. I guess that makes them illegal. Plus the bottles are not uv protected and will go brittle and break eventually. They are easy to hole as well. A bit of expand foam inside would make a difference I guess.

Triple
17-12-2013, 05:40 PM
2L and 3L milk bottles aren't legal by the regs as they are less than 15cm wide but there is the comment in the fresh water gear section that says they are allowed.And even if they are that's where the common sense should come into it that losing a $50 pot or even a $15 fcb special is not worth the extra $3.50 for a proper float!!! Ghost pots just keep on taking and taking and taking..

fishychrissy
18-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Too true Mate,
It's a no brainer to spend $14 on 4 proper floats that help your 4 pot investment produce crabs for a long long time.
Cheers