PDA

View Full Version : yammy 115 4 stroke electrical help please

Muzza
14-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with a 'friends' 115 yammy 4 stroke 2011/12 model.
Boat is a 5.6m yellowfin. Dual battery setup with standard isolator switch, (1-2 both - off)
He decided to top up batteries after not running for a while so disconnected batteries and charged up.

On reconnecting batteries with isolator switch still on off, he reconnected the second battery wrong with neg connector on positive terminal
and pos connector on negative terminal. (please no comments, dumbest thing ever and he knows this and has copped plenty).
Straight away (less than a minute) he switched to both and went to start motor and nothing happened. He noticed smoke from isolator switch , turned it to 'off'
and smoke stopped. Straight away realised what a dumb thing he had done and disconected second battery connections.
Reconnected correctly but no power to motor? With switch on 1 or 2 or both there is no power, tilt/trim does not work, guages do not light up.

There is still power to bus board and sounder/lights still work.

Hopefully there is enough information here for someone to advise if this is terminal or if there is a fuse(hopefully) somewhere that has blown to protect the motor electrics and he can just replace that. He had a spare isolator switch and replaced that with no luck.

Thanks in advance for all advice.
Cheer
Muz

mojoe1
14-12-2013, 07:38 PM
gday muzza letting the smoke out of any electrical device is never a good sign so you would need to check the switch.Yes there is an engine fuse take off the cowl go through the fuse block and check each fuse start with the one that's marked engine(I think its marked engine)good luck with it.

Jarrah Jack
14-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Definitely a fuse but lets hope he hasn't cooked the ecu. He'll be lucky if he hasn't.

Muzza
14-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks fellas,
I will get on to it tomorrow for him and check the fuses on the motor. I thought there may have been one between the motor and power source(batteries).
Fingers crossed not ecu, doesn't sound cheap replacing that.
will let you know how it goes.
Cheers

Muzza
15-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks again fells,
All good, replaced engine fuse and everything working fine.
Lesson learnt, no matter how many times you do a simple job, take your time and don't rush and doublecheck.
Cheers
Muz

Fed
15-12-2013, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't trust the switch after such a workout, it probably had more than 1000 Amps going through it.

Muzza
15-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi Fed,
Had a new isolator switch handy so replaced the old one straight away before doing anythiing else. I wouldn't have trusted the old one either .
Cheers
Muz

Spaniard_King
15-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Lucky it wasn't an older model.. they didn't have the fuse.. you would have fried the whole engine wiring loom