PDA

View Full Version : Wind prediction websites

Funchy
13-12-2013, 05:33 AM
Hi Ausfishers

Have read many times about how various wind predicting site under or over estimate wind speeds. (Eg. wilyweather seem to underestimate and Seabreeze seems to overestimate.)

Anyway, though I would share this link as it seems to be reasonable from my perspective. It is BOM site wich one would assume is the basis for most other sites info.

I like the fact it is simple to use too.

Anyone else got good sites they use other than the run of the mill ones that always seem to be used?

Cheers and happy fishing

http://www.bom.gov.au/marine/wind.shtml?unit=p0&location=qld-bris&tz=AEDT

gruntahunta
13-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Perhaps lick the finger and hold it in the air to see how strong and which direction the wind is blowing old trick still works the best.

Or as us bowlers do, carry a cloth and use it to determine the wind.

Or golfers method of throwing a bit of grass in the air.

All these are prob more accurate than the weather sites. Just saying.

Nabba1
13-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Thats the main one i use too Funchy along with buoyweather.

The only other advice I could offer for what it is worth is to look at the weather maps and take to forecast wind predictions relative to how stable or unstable the map looks. I am not a meteorologist by any means (probably can't even spell it properly) but when I see heaps of low pressure systems, troughs and frontal systems etc on the map I usually take the forecasts as a very general guide. IMO these forecasts are incorrect a lot cause things change too quick and are based on the predictions at the time they are issued.

Conversely if a large high pressure system is slowly working its way across the center of aus than I think the forecasts are spot on more often than not, due to a stable weather pattern at the time of issue.

Dignity
13-12-2013, 05:12 PM
That's one I also use, 3 day forecast I from memory is calculated at some very small range(10 km grid) and is based on local weather information so is quite accurate however the 7 day forecast is based on a 55km grid and based on data from the Euorpean weather centre but it is useful for long range planning because if it stable over a number of days you can almost guarantee the winds will be spot on.

Volvo
13-12-2013, 08:55 PM
That plus seebreeze , plus check out the observations prior to leaving as well as making a call over the VHF for any kind reports of water conditions where i wish to travel to and most times pays off nicely..

fishychrissy
16-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Checked out buoyweather today, seems a bit more realistic than the willyweather one.
2 day forecast available, but 7 day forecast for premium members.
Thanks for the heads up.
Cheers

Gon Fishun
16-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Rock on a string hanging off the non rotary clothes line. :2thumbsup: