PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new boat- Advice Please!!!

Nicholas2230
08-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Hey all,

Well went down the ramp yesterday morning 4.30am trying to get the old 80's 40hp Yamaha to go. No steering. Seems to be seized. On the way back home copped a rock/something in the side of the windscreen and it cracked. Decided I am not going to put anymore money into my old boat. 4.5m front steer stessl tinny.

I am looking for something to use in and around the bay, but also something I can take offshore trolling on the right days. I visited around 5 yards yesterday. Didn't really see anything that took my fancy (well in my budget anyways!!!) I am looking to spend no more than $20,000 and am hoping to get a year 2002+ 100hp plus motor on something 5.5-6.5m metres long. I think I have found something on line but its a 3 hour drive for me to have a look at it so wanted to get your advice if I may.

The specs of the boat are: 6.00 metre cuddy cab 1985 hull fully refurbished this year, dual axle trailer that has just had $2,500 spent on it getting it up to scratch and a 150hp 2002 Johnson that has done 400 hours. The motor has just been fully serviced and the boat comes with 3 months warranty from the dealer. The bloke told me its an offshore boat with a 21" dead rise. ( I know to never believe a salesman haha)

My question for you is will this boat be suitable for offshore etc? will if be a comfortable fishing boat in the bay? Does anyone have a similar set up that can comment? Just looking to pick your brain as I really want to make the right decision. If it looks like a goer I will drive it up and inspect it before delivery etc. Looking forward to your responses! Cheers Nick.

Scalem
08-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi Nick, this looks like the right sort of boat for the work you are thinking of doing. If I guide you to this thread you can see my boat in there which is a Yaltacraft, similar in size. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?138982-Yalta-Owners-Club-aka-Roll-Call

400 hours is not a lot for any engine but its the number of years, in this case 11 to 12 years that will mean corrosion if not looked after properly. ie flushing of fresh water after every trip, regular replacement of sacrificial anodes etc. Lifting the engine cowl may show some indication of how clean the motor is and how well maintained, but not always unless you know where to look. A mechanic would pull the spark plugs out after a run and see what colour the plugs are burning. If they are uneven colour from one plug to another, that's possibly a sign things are not what they should be.

The 150 would make this hull sing along at possibly more than 75kph - it's a 2stroke isn't it? Bigger fuel consumption if its carby instead of injection, a mate has a 115 fuel injection of similar age and it purrs along and good on fuel.

My 115 Yammy 4S is good on fuel with 150 litres under floor which will be a bit shy if considering big offshore trips . This boat you are looking at should have at least 150 Litres capacity IMHO. I have talked about downsizing my boat because I am mostly fishing the bay these days, but every time I have a day off and its blowing 15+ knots I am not restricted in any way fishing the bay in mine which eats up 15-20 knots in safety, in fact, it's even better when little tinnies stay home and I have the popular spots almost all to myself. Tandem trailer of mine is great to tow, but a pain to maneuver into its preferred park because of the opposing forces on tandem axles. Provided everything mechanically is OK, and the yard is prepared to tell you all of what is meant by the hull being refurbished with receipts of work done. Check the transom and make sure all bolts, transducer mounts etc are fully sealed and appear to have had a generous amount of sealant applied. Put some weight on the engine leg and see if there is any movement or cracks, get inside and jump up and down like an angry gorilla, see how the floor feels and if it is solid.

Good luck!

Scalem

Nicholas2230
08-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks mate, really appreciate your advice, looks like it is a goer then. I will be sure to see what is meant by a refurb on the boat and whether it just cosmetic or structural as well. Hopefully with an engine in that price range the owner would have looked after it, but you never know. Your boat looks great mate. Looks like I might have a new one of my own by next weekend.
Cheers