PDA

View Full Version : Attention Surtees 5.8 Metre Workmate Garaging Fold Down Roof Owners’

Redspeckle
07-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Earlier this year got my brand new boat Surtees 5.8 Metre Workmate and been very happy with it all seem to begood to be true ( only just 8 months old) over 3 weeks ago found some cracking just in front of welding of the cabin of the boat on both sides where cabin is attached on top of the side gunnels ( side decks )

So I contacted the Boat dealer bought the boat off and foundhad they have had some problems with this model recently and someone in theSurtees boat builders factory used thewrong template where using a 5.5m template instead of a 5.8 metre one apparently there is thick plate suppose torun past the cabin and where the Garaging folding down roof pivots on the topof side deck all welded and mounted underneath well my one wasone of those that well fell short picture attach
Because has a folding down roofwith the rod holders it causing the metal to flexi lot moreeasier apparently this is on model only they had problem with so far well tell you’snot really too happy about the someone done a stuff up by using wrongtemplate and where was the quality control people suppose to do the checking let it slip through the cracks and why they didn’t send out memo to owners of theses’types of made model boats ( what they don’t wanted any bad publicity toget out ) so got me wandering what else has been miss now atleast there is 6 year structural guarantee on the boat hull
Gee the people that know me if done some like that in my job have the potential for big derailment of ironore train over 2.2km
Yes I did have an oppuntiny to get the boatfixed in Brisbane because there was noboat dealer at the time when looking& order Surtess boat last year so when interstate & that’s where took boat back too and boat yard dealer has been very helpful taken 2 weeks to fixed because had to take outthe outboard motor wiring & steering cables and little over flowbreather fuel tank as well so they Welded on plate underneath of 6mm &plate on top of 3mm and with theexisting 3mm side gunnel now thickness of 12mm so shouldn’t felix anymore butmy only concern is where heat affect zone onto the side gunnels see overtime and both sides had to be done
See the pictures attached tellmore of the story and wanted let other Surtees boat owners check there boatswith garaging folding down roofs
Mitch
PS I put is thread up on Thursday see site was down must have got loss

daveo17
09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
that is some seriously bad welding/fabricating. what a joke i thought those things were quality

stevej
09-12-2013, 03:37 PM
a Friday boat I guess not one manufacturer out there that doesn't cock up now and then

its the customer service after the cock up that matters and surtess is second to none normally

Boat Hog
09-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Gee Mitch, I feel for you mate! Those welds in the photo are obviously the repair job as arranged by the dealer? They certainly aren't up to the standard of every other Surtees I've seen (about 7 or 8). It's a real shame that that structural warranty doesn't give you repairs to the boat to the manufacturers standard. Or, do they/should they?

This is a matter between you and the dealer, but me personally - I wouldn't be happy with the appearance of those repairs on my Surtees.

best of luck,

edit: just had a beer and a rethink .... Those crappy looking welds are underneath the gunnels right? i.e. Out of sight? On the top looks okay.

Redspeckle
10-12-2013, 07:27 AM
The repairs done were you live locally(Boat Hog) welds done good & finished on top keeping in appearance with the boat ( main thing long as the welds repair's going held up for the life the boat)
As for the Surtees structural warranty Don't worry its all covered even this repair comes under it because they where the one's that stuff it up in the Build if the job was properly in first place there wouldn't been no need for the repairs to be done

Mitch

murf
10-12-2013, 07:47 AM
sorry to here of the hickup on your new pride and joy :( hope all is fixed properly for you Mitch.

so how are you liking the ride of the boat? Boat Hog's little 4.8 punches way above its weight (did a week at Fraser last year with us) but I am yet to get a ride in it ;)

cheers Murf