PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 140hp two stroke issues - Spaniard King

boatboy50
03-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Guys,

I have a 1997 EFI 140hp two stroke which I have just purchased.

After running for approx. 5 minutes at 4000rpm, the engine completely shuts itself off as if the key was turned off.

Try to restart for a few minutes and it will wind over but no fire.

Take the cowl off and drift for another 5 minutes and then hit the key and bam it's off.

Another 5 minutes later it will do the same cycle.

There are no alarms on shutdown, but all the alarm lights on the dash light up for half a second when it shuts down.

The fuel bulb is still hard, and the engine dies instantly, not slowly, with no warning.

The engine also will only rev to 4600rpm and achieve 25knots, where all the data I have says it should run 5500rpm and 35 knots running the 17"prop I have. Its on a Signature 575F.

I thought it was heat related electrical but I made it back to the ramp and turned the engine off myself. Upon getting home to flush out wind and no go again until another 5 minutes later. Normally when it's not occurring, the engine will start instantly hot or cold.

It's in at a dealership now but they're busy so 2 weeks later and it still hasn't been looked at.

Does anyone have any experience with these engines and have any ideas on a possible cause?

Regards

Darren

Noelm
04-12-2013, 06:54 AM
There is a dozen "possible" causes from the very minor to the remote chance the steel plug in the engine holder has rusted out and is filling the under cowl with exhaust, but at best, anyone can only guess at a cause. Now that it is at the dealers, any trouble shooting is up to them now.

Homer_Jay
04-12-2013, 01:41 PM
I had the exact problem with my 150 efi merc many years ago. It was as if someone would just pull the man over board cord. Then wait a few minutes, it would fire up and run fine again. While running it was running perfect. It would happen at the exact spot after leaving the ramp each time.

We all thought it was fuel, and something to do with heating up.

Anyway, after about 3 different mechanics trying to work it out and a lot of chasing our tail, in the end it was as simple as a dirty connection on the main wiring harness.

It was a secondhand motor I purchased and had been sitting around for a while not on the boat. The connection must have just corroded a little.

Anyways, I hope your fix is just as simple!

Moonlighter
04-12-2013, 02:18 PM
There is a dozen "possible" causes from the very minor to the remote chance the steel plug in the engine holder has rusted out and is filling the under cowl with exhaust, but at best, anyone can only guess at a cause. Now that it is at the dealers, any trouble shooting is up to them now.

Noel, its a 2 stroke! The 4 stroke early models had the engine holder corrosion problem.

Moonlighter
04-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Boatbuoy

Suggest you call Jon Eadie at Bayside Suzuki at Cleveland on 0407738731. He knows more than most about any Suzukis and may be able to help you out. And its not that big a drive from the coast to see him if thats what is needed.

But don't delay if you want it looked at before Christmas!! He might already be just about booked out.

Noelm
04-12-2013, 02:22 PM
oopsy daisy, must have had a senior moment there.

dogsbody
04-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Dodgy ignition switch/wiring perhaps?

Camhawk88
04-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Sounds like an electrical connection issue. When a faulty connection is discovered (hit a bump or something) the computer goes into preservation mode shutting off the engine and takes 5 minute to re-set. Im by no means a mechanic but that's what it sounds like.

A simple way to find out would be to run it at home until it does its thing. Then un hook the wiring harness or battery and reconnect. If it then starts no problem then it is likely your problem. Once unhooked from the power source it should reset the computer without having to wait 5 minutes.

Why it is only revving to 4600 I have no idea- with that size prop I would have thought it would have no issues getting to mid 5ks.

Spaniard_King
04-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Darren, can't the suzi mechanics at your work sort it out??

trymyluck
04-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Darren, can't the suzi mechanics at your work sort it out??

They might but probably comes with an invoice.......

boatboy50
04-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Garry,

I'm no longer with a Suzuki dealership (or any for that matter), and most current Suzy guys have no idea about the 1997 model.

I'm thinking it might be electrical when hot, and it's connected to the low rpm/speed also.

The issue is that it only does it sometimes, so it's hard to pinpoint unless it's happening, which I doubt can be replicated on the trailer.

I'm just hoping for experience from someone who has worked on these engines.

I've spoken with Jon Eadie about it and he can't pinpoint it without seeing it and says he has never come across it before.

Everyone seems too busy to do the work so i'm just researching in case it comes down to me to solve the issue.

Any thoughts Garry?

Darren

Spaniard_King
04-12-2013, 08:24 PM
I would only be scratchin around in the Dark Darren. Never had the pleasure of working on one.

Sorry.. try QLD Outboard Spares 0755937668. they would be ya best bet, service and repair all brands/models

honda900
06-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Darren,
there were a few guys with early Johnson, Zuke 140's on fishnet .com .au, a while ago, might be worth a look.

Regards
HOnda