PDA

View Full Version : Submersible trailer lights

mattooty
30-11-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm looking at putting new lights on the boat trailer as the current ones are just the lightboard type that attaches to the boat after retrieving and needs taking off when launching. I'm a little over it and while I'm on a role in fine tuning everything thought that I'd do this too.
The boat is 4.7m with trailer to suit and I'm really just chasing a bit of feedback on brands of lights to steer clear of and ones which do their job (light up and don't f%$k up). Are the new LED's ok in submersible types?

bluefin59
30-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Yes they are good , I have. Narva and they come with 7 mt of lead so no joins except for the plug . They are one of the higher priced ones but saying that mine have been getting completely submerged for over 5 yrs and they are still like new ... Matt

WalrusLike
30-11-2013, 10:07 AM
The ones that came on mine go 1 foot under every time....

18 mths trouble free so far. Don't know the brand. But at least you know it's possible. :)

Mike Delisser
30-11-2013, 10:43 AM
I have the OZ LED tail lights. They have a "water proof" plug just near the light. I covered that with some resin filled heat shrink. My trailer can get dunked about 6 times a weekend, 4 years now and not one issue, as tail lights go it's the best move I ever made.

Cheers

Apollo
30-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Agree with Matt. Get the ones with the long leads that allow you to just run the cabling straight to the plug or near the coupling with no joints in place near the back end. Much less maintenance and they can be easily dunked. Makes driving the boat on in the dark good too with the LEDs lit up under water.

ozscott
30-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Another vote for Narva submersible with lead kit.

Cheers

astro66
30-11-2013, 01:37 PM
yep narva fully sealed ones with 7m of lead here.....dead easy to install ...just run the cables to the front and join on the plug for your car and away you go ....18 months dipped deep everytime and they still look like new :P

ozscott
30-11-2013, 05:41 PM
because there are two looms coming into one spot at the front I used a junction box as someone on here recommended - clipsal -and its fully water proof and used a basic 240 volt joiner block. The box has gland inserts that tighten up - so 2 looms in back and one in front going to the vehicle.

Cheers

londee
30-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I would also recommend the ones that come with attached wiring harness. Having soldered or crimped fittings below the water line can still lead to problems i.e the LED's that don't have harness attached.

PeterKroll
30-11-2013, 06:31 PM
I've just bought a pair of cheapies on Ebay (from an Austalian seller). They look like completely sealed units, which is what I wanted. About $29, so if I have to replace, not too expensive. Mine is only a small trailer, so they should do.

The leads on these are short, but I'm doing to do the usual thing of good soldering, and then a good application of Liquid Letric Tape, underneath heat shrink tubing. Hoping that should last. It has in my boat so far.

I'll let you know.

Mike Delisser
30-11-2013, 07:22 PM
I've just bought a pair of cheapies on Ebay (from an Austalian seller). They look like completely sealed units, which is what I wanted. About $29, so if I have to replace, not too expensive. Mine is only a small trailer, so they should do.

The leads on these are short, but I'm doing to do the usual thing of good soldering, and then a good application of Liquid Letric Tape, underneath heat shrink tubing. Hoping that should last. It has in my boat so far.

I'll let you know.

Get the resin filled heat shrink tubing and put that over your join, it will never leak. I know they sell it at Jaycar.

fishing111
30-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Steer clear of Olsen or anything that looks like these. Been through 2 set's and there bloody shit!

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-95478181056539_2253_112119765

PeterKroll
30-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks, Mike. I'll get some. Being finicky, I'll probably still coat it with the sealing solution. After all, I have a large bottle of it and it needs to get used. I have to justify buying it somehow. ::)

grumpy santa
30-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Over the years, I've found the best places to source waterproof LED lights for all my boat, box and camp trailers are truck spare parts outlets.

Reasonable prices and robust construction is the name of the game for trucks. The latest pair I bought cost $23.00 four years ago.

Let your fingers do the walking. Google then phone around for the best price/specials.

tjotter
01-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Our ARK lights look like a fish tank after launch/retrieve,
the lights still work so I think water gets past clear glass cover but not to the bulbs/wiring ?

goat boy
01-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Our ARK lights look like a fish tank after launch/retrieve,
the lights still work so I think water gets past clear glass cover but not to the bulbs/wiring ?
Nope the Ark ones are garbage, water gets in everywhere. Just spent this morning ripping them off, corroded to hell on the inside.
Only 1 let in water though, the other was still fine, still absolute rubbish though.