PDA

View Full Version : American boat fuelling problems

kiwimex
28-11-2013, 08:34 PM
I have recently purchased a new boat from the USA, yesterday was the first time I have put fuel in the tank.

It took me 25mins to put in 150L !!! for some reason the nozzle just kept clicking and shutting off like the tank was full, I ended up having to use a funnel and pump the fuel into the funnel first then into the tank (still the process took 25mins).

I contacted the dealer in the USA today and they stated that they have had this issue with a number of boats they have sent to Australia. Apparently in the USA they have changed the emission laws and made a new type of tank vent compulsory, this tank vent requires 3psi of pressure to operate. I kind of got lost in what the dealer was saying, he did how ever mention that all the customers that called with the same problem had never called back. (he is in the process of emailing them to find out the solutions they have come up with for this problem). He also mentioned to try filling the tank again from the 3/4 position as the initial fill was on an empty tank, can't see how this would make any difference.

I would appreciate input from any members out there that have encountered this problem and come up with a solution.

In the meantime its the slow filling process with a funnel till i can come up with a work around.

Cheers in advance

Steve

liltuffy
28-11-2013, 08:41 PM
buy an Aussie made boat ......:-X

tunaticer
28-11-2013, 08:54 PM
vent the tank breather to atmosphere without the restrictor.

Gon Fishun
28-11-2013, 09:04 PM
Have a look down into your filler pipe and see if there is a restrictor of some sort like on an unleaded car fuel tank. If there is, it is likely to be splashing back into the nozzle and setting the trip on it if trying to fill fast.

kiwimex
28-11-2013, 09:04 PM
vent the tank breather to atmosphere without the restrictor.

It appears that part of the venting system is in the fuel filler neck as well, Ill have a look and see if that is possible.

Steve

kiwimex
28-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Have a look down into your filler pipe and see if there is a restrictor of some sort like on an unleaded car fuel tank. If there is, it is likely to be splashing back into the nozzle and setting the trip on it if trying to fill fast.

Yeah there is some type of restriction in there!

Steve

Muddy Toes
28-11-2013, 10:43 PM
I too have some sort of a restriction in my fill line in my U.S. made SeaPro.

With a bit of fiddling around with the fuel nozzle each time I fill up I can get it to flow normally, whether it be twisting the nozzle to another angle or not putting the nozzle all the way in the filler with the latter being the most successful. If I put it in only a few inches it's sweet.............the downside is that once it's full the fuel shut off on the nozzle runs a very distant second to fuel spewing out of the filler and the breather!!!

WalrusLike
29-11-2013, 07:04 AM
My Aussie made boat does nearly the same thing.

Mine is actually fuel splash back because if I try and put more than 10 millilitres per hour in it splashes out into the motor well.

The first time it happened was the first fill ... and because I had given it a normal speed fill it spat back out of fill pipe _and_ the breathers.

I will watch this thread with interest.

stevej
29-11-2013, 07:13 AM
buy an Aussie made boat ......:-X

how many of them are left? even some of the bigger fellas are getting glass components made in china and put on bottom hulls here

I assume you mean buy an assembled or unpacked from container in Australia boat

LittleSkipper
29-11-2013, 09:52 AM
I have recently purchased a new boat from the USA, yesterday was the first time I have put fuel in the tank.

It took me 25mins to put in 150L !!! for some reason the nozzle just kept clicking and shutting off like the tank was full, I ended up having to use a funnel and pump the fuel into the funnel first then into the tank (still the process took 25mins).

I contacted the dealer in the USA today and they stated that they have had this issue with a number of boats they have sent to Australia. Apparently in the USA they have changed the emission laws and made a new type of tank vent compulsory, this tank vent requires 3psi of pressure to operate. I kind of got lost in what the dealer was saying, he did how ever mention that all the customers that called with the same problem had never called back. (he is in the process of emailing them to find out the solutions they have come up with for this problem). He also mentioned to try filling the tank again from the 3/4 position as the initial fill was on an empty tank, can't see how this would make any difference.

I would appreciate input from any members out there that have encountered this problem and come up with a solution.

In the meantime its the slow filling process with a funnel till i can come up with a work around.

Cheers in advance

Steve

What make and model boat did you purchase from the U.S Steve?

WalrusLike
29-11-2013, 10:12 AM
how many of them are left? even some of the bigger fellas are getting glass components made in china and put on bottom hulls here

I assume you mean buy an assembled or unpacked from container in Australia boat

Nah mate.... made in Noosa.

Baysport 575. I notice later models have a different filler setup so I imagine its no longer an issue. Mines the previous model.

Greg P
29-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Time to pull the inlet system for the tank apart and look for restrictions. Could be breather system as well or a crap tank design. Maybe there is something planted in there to make you rich 😎😎

lucee81
29-11-2013, 04:31 PM
i had a second breather installed and i can now fill the boat at full pressure... had many issues before this the second breather seemed to do the trick.

kiwimex
29-11-2013, 06:10 PM
What make and model boat did you purchase from the U.S Steve?

Sea Hunt Ultra 211 2013 model

oldie
29-11-2013, 06:38 PM
try turning the fuel bowser funnel/head upside down when filling, i had a Pajero that used to click off all the time turned the filler upside down and never had the problem just a though

shaungonemad
29-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Yeah try and turn the nozzle a bit plenty of cars do it as well.

kiwimex
29-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I will take a better look at everything over the weekend.

Please keep the suggestions coming

Steve

LittleSkipper
30-11-2013, 05:27 AM
Nice boat Steve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

boboncc
30-11-2013, 06:32 AM
I have a similar problem with my Ozzie made boat, it takes three or four times as long to refuel as it would with a car. The tank has two vents and I've tried moving the nozzle around but with no success, the fuel either comes out of the refuelling pipe or the vents if I try to refuel at anything more than a snail's pace.
I asked about this when I had the boat serviced and was told it was normal, I must admit I've never been 100% convinced about that.

Cheech
30-11-2013, 11:24 AM
I have the same issue with both my aussie made boat and my Detroit made car. Both I get around the issue same as Muddy Toes. Change the angle, and also just don't go full tilt on the pump speed.

boboncc
30-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks Cheech for the reply, I've done all that but it still takes me about 12 minutes to put in 60ltrs. Not the end of the earth but just annoying!

Cheers!
Bob

Mister
30-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Very easy one is this :), boats from the northern hemisphere have fuel flow clockwise down the filler but in the southern hemisphere due to the coriolis affect the fuel needs to flow counter clockwise down the tube hence the clash. One should stand on the opposite side of the filler, use the other hand and pointing the nozzle in the other direction of flow :) Gotta get the rotation right :)

kiwimex
30-11-2013, 04:30 PM
I have tried different speeds on the pump, changing the angle and moving the nozzle in and out of the filler as mentioned above, but so far the results have been the same.

kiwimex
03-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Bumping to the top, would still like further input on this subject.

Cheers

STUIE63
03-12-2013, 09:33 PM
The american dealer told you that the vent is now different so try getting an ordinary breather or disconnecting the one on the boat and see if it makes a difference when fuelling

WalrusLike
03-12-2013, 09:44 PM
I tried the late lamented Muddy's tip of upside down handle.

I was delighted with the increased speed and would've died of old age before I got the 95 litres in if I hadn't of used it.

Slight downside was that when it spat back it wasn't so much a spit as a flood. Soaked my shirt in petrol as well as the boat and the four cars in line behind me..,, (Ok the last was an exaggeration.)

I'm going back to the slow way. :(

WalrusLike
03-12-2013, 09:45 PM
PS. I don't hold Muddy responsible for my failure.

Fed
04-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Bumping to the top, would still like further input on this subject.
Right now we have no idea exactly what you have got?

Restrictor plate in fuel filler that stops the pump handle going in too far?
3 PSI poppet valve in vent line?
Vent line teed off or additional vent line to a separate vent hole above the restrictor plate?

If the above is true then when filling the tank should vent back into the filler above the restrictor plate so you will need to make sure the restrictor plate is stopping the pump spout from going in too far and allowing the splashback plastic thing to block the filler entry.