PDA

View Full Version : Kapten boat collar

PeterKroll
27-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Has anyone got one of these on their tinnie (boat, that is).

Horse
27-11-2013, 10:55 PM
If they are asking about $600 or so for your boat I would probably just invest in a slightly larger tinny

Shark Poker
28-11-2013, 03:34 AM
Closer to $800 I think, if you would like the harder layer on the exterior.

They also require a number of holes drilled into the sides of your boat for the mounting screws.

I am surprised that they are not more popular. People invest in their boat in so many ways. And here is a product that adds virtually no weight, takes up no interior space. And adds safety and stability.
AND it is a solution for the new flotation laws.

For tenders, the collars provide an added benefit of all round fenders.
Too many benefits for less than $1000

And yet they are not really selling. I searched them here on the forum a while back and a few people thought they were ugly.

Horse
28-11-2013, 07:52 AM
I agree that they look like great product and increase the inherent safety of a tinny. I do think Peter's tinny is just a tad too small and another foot in length would be a better option. I understand that it may be a bit harder to handle but there are ways around it.

snapperbasher
28-11-2013, 08:36 AM
I think the drilling holes in the boat turns people off......I have looked at them for my boat but stopped when I realised you had to drill holes throught the hull....

I was really just looking for something to try and stop the spray...

PeterKroll
28-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Horse, you are right of course. I'm over spending money (over-spending money) on my tinnie for the moment. I'm still keen on the pod idea, but by the time I've paid someone to weld it, it's going to be expensive too. So at the moment, I'm sitting in a chair in the boat with an extension tiller. It's been a good experience, but forward controls and trim/tilt seem like minimum requirements for the next boat. And from this forum, it seems that there is ALWAYS a next boat.

The good thing is the boat, as it has been modified by me, is a nice little unit, and perfect for me to mosey around Coochie. Unfortunately, the Rous and points north or west are not really available with this unit. But I have something to use while I wait to trade up. Probably need to get some money too. :-)

In any case, I have met a bloke who has a collar on his boat, and we're going to go for a run sometime next week. I'll post the results.

Midnight
28-11-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm going to fit one to my tinnie when I fit it out. They look great to me. I couldn't care less about drilling holes in my tinnie haha

Let us know how you find the tinnie with the collar on.

Cheers,
Myles

snapperbasher
28-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Drilling holes and putting S/S Bolts through scares the shit out of me!!!..... not so bad on a little shitter tinny but not a $25K tinny like mine....

patrol50
28-11-2013, 01:30 PM
gady maybe have a look at the air o floats option if your not aware of it - have a set for the 3.75 m cartopper bought some years ago now - do the job ok but do need to be a bit careful of sharps

cheers