PDA

View Full Version : Re - Sealing portable plastic petrol tanks at the hose connection gasket

patrol50
27-11-2013, 05:49 PM
Hi i use and carry the odd portable plastic 20 L ( mercury) and 10 L ( tohatsu ) fuel tanks now and then if on just a short trip ( saves filling the big tank) and or as back up on a longer trip - but they often leak or weep a bit under pressure on a real hot day from the gasket seal area where the fuel hose connection fitting is screwed in to them ( have tightened up the screws as tight as i game ) -

Anyone know of or use a good sealant to seal against small petrol leaks/ weeps of this nature- have tried sikaflex - just peels off eventually ; Locktite Copper Maxx (suggested by Repco - peels off also ) and Permatex Form a Gasket - again peels off

so would welcome a solution - and dont say buy a new portable tank as did that and it weeps too ;D !!!!

cheers rob

fishing111
27-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Think it's called stag., but others will confirm. That's what i used and seems to work well.

mutineer
27-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Expanding liquid...especially petrol , Buckley's to none ..them sealers although may seal for a short period after flexing will leak , over filling them adds to the problem ...I may be wrong but I doubt there is a real " fix "

Spaniard_King
27-11-2013, 06:28 PM
I have had good results with this stuff

http://www.threebond.com.au/liquid-gaskets.html

I use the grey stuff in a tube 1207C

patrol50
27-11-2013, 06:55 PM
I have had good results with this stuff

http://www.threebond.com.au/liquid-gaskets.html

I use the grey stuff in a tube 1207C

thanks gary will give it a go

and Jees mate you scared the stuffing out of me with that Ciguatera reminder - i just bought back a few spanish mack fillets from strady - they went in the bin

hope you and the family are all well mended

cheers rob

PS Stag hey fishing 111 - i used to use that gooey red stuff on galvanised water pipe fittings for sealing way back - had no idea it could be used for fuel - live and learn !!!

Crocodile
28-11-2013, 07:59 AM
Hello Patrol50,

I have had good results with Stag compound, but it is nasty messy stuff.
I am confused about the weeping, if it is the tank that is in use, the air vent screw will be open so there can be no pressure build-up.
If the tank is being used as a spare, still undo the air vent screw a little so that the pressure can escape.

Also, that fitting will be above the level of the petrol inside the tank, so how is petrol weeping out?
Or, is it weeping from the petrol sloshing around inside of the tank?

patrol50
28-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Hello Patrol50,

Also, that fitting will be above the level of the petrol inside the tank, so how is petrol weeping out?
Or, is it weeping from the petrol sloshing around inside of the tank?

thanks crocodile - and mate yep its weeping out a little when sloshing around full in the boat in a bit of chop - dont like any sort of fuel weeps in the boat - and when in the shed with some fuel still in it and air bleed closed - always close the bleed to try to maintain fuel quality when stored in the shed for a few weeks

cheers rob

ps the attachment did not work !!!

Charlie
28-11-2013, 03:57 PM
I've owned five portable tanks over the years and all have leaked excepth the OEM Yamaha tank, the solution Stag, Witworths sell it and it works !00% for me at least.