PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Nearly Takes Out Boatshed!!

Back In Black
24-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Got a direct lightning strike on a huge gum tree last night that is next to my boat shed. We didn't know where it hit till this morning, but as soon as I opened my front door, there was debris everywhere.

The boat had a battery charger attached at the time, but when I checked, the lead had been blown out of the PowerPoint & the point itself was messed up pretty badly. Turned on the isolators everything's seems fine, radios, music, electronics & motors started.

The electricity junction boxes in the shed got shattered, the security cameras were frizzed, actually blowing up the monitor & point in the house where it goes back to.

The phone got hit, & the line going into the wall was melted into the wall, so a bit of work for the electrician tomorrow.

Tony

soulfish
24-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Shit lucky mate ...I hope the big sailfish isn't welded to the trailer..would make for an intresting launch

cobiaman
24-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Nasty........

ric
24-11-2013, 06:45 PM
It's a shame it didn't hit the shed, otherwise you would be able to claim it on insurance.

Apollo
24-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Just be aware that the tree might die, so be mindful of limbs, etc

Shark Poker
24-11-2013, 06:46 PM
He is working on a new way to cook his giant Red Emperors.

Mrs Ronnie H
24-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Hi
A few years back i was lucky enough to see a very big gum tree hit by lightning and then hit the road about 10 seconds later--bloody awesome.
You could follow the line from the top of the tree to the ground.

In a matter of 5 or so weeks the large tree was completely dead and had to be removed.

Mrs H

overdraft
24-11-2013, 07:23 PM
As long as it didn't hit the cabinet with the Kahlua in it.

hookinin
24-11-2013, 10:34 PM
What do you mean your radio is fine. I've never been able to raise you on it yet.
How will you go at the nursery or is that all on separate lines?

hookinin
24-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the dislike searaider 2 but no need to get serious. I'm sure he will know what i'm talking about.

Tony,
If the electronics at the nursery are fried let us know if we can help with printing labels etc

Back In Black
25-11-2013, 05:34 AM
Gav, nothing at all in the nursery got hit, except the New Guinea House controller. It got taken out last Xmas in a direct hit on one of the telegraph poles in the nursery, & we had to manually open & shut screens, water overhead etc for 12 days till Bill could rebuild it.

This time, he left spares of everything, a complete new computer, power source etc, & yesterday morning he just talked me through how to replace components & bingo, I fixed it!! That was the most technological thing I've ever done, even Bill was stunned that it worked!!

If I'm lucky Gav, the lighting hit may have fixed the radio!! Still waiting for Steve from Linemaster to come & fix it. Every time now I put the auto pilot on, it makes the radio go really crackly & static.

Bit of an ongoing joke my radio sea raider, as Gav can never raise me on it when fishing the Banks or the Hards.

Personally, I don't think Gav even tries, but he tells me he does!!

Tony

Back In Black
25-11-2013, 03:53 PM
It's a shame it didn't hit the shed, otherwise you would be able to claim it on insurance.

Not quite sure what you mean ric. A lightning strike that causes damage, whether it hit the shed or the tree, is covered under my insurance.

Rang my broker (emailled him Sunday am to give him a heads up) and he said get your sparky in to fix everything, replace the fridge with like for like & keep the receipts, sort the TV that got fried (being picked up tomorrow for assessment) & send him copies of everything & all is covered!!

Happy days.

Tony

Back In Black
25-11-2013, 03:56 PM
He is working on a new way to cook his giant Red Emperors.

Couldn't improve on my last effort Pauly!!

Tony

honda900
25-11-2013, 04:48 PM
tony, pretty lucky, probly only needed to be standing near the phone line.

Did you check the batteries in the boat?

Walking home from school in Sydney one day, saw a house get hit by lightening, probly a few hundred meters from us, scared the bejeezus out of us, made a mess of the house, had a tiled roof but just wrecked it..

Regards
Honda.

Back In Black
25-11-2013, 04:53 PM
tony, pretty lucky, probly only needed to be standing near the phone line.

Did you check the batteries in the boat?

Walking home from school in Sydney one day, saw a house get hit by lightening, probly a few hundred meters from us, scared the bejeezus out of us, made a mess of the house, had a tiled roof but just wrecked it..

Regards
Honda.

Honda, I put the isolator switches on, as in the house battery, & everything fired up perfectly, & then tried the port & starboard batteries & the motor ticked over, so is there anything else I should check??

Soulfish has me worried I'm taking the trailer with me fishing, now you've got me thinking I"ll be off the Hards & the batteries will fail.

Then Hookinin reminds me my radio doesn't work on the Hards!!

I better do a couple of in close fishes to start with.

Tony

honda900
25-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Tony,

Sounds like they are Ok, maybe run one of your start batteries down to a battery place for a quick test.. least you will have peace of mind knowing at least one is good..

Regards
HOnda.

TheRealAndy
26-11-2013, 08:07 PM
I have dealt with a lot of lighting damage over the years. You don't need a direct strike to something to cause damage. If the strike was that close, I would be suspicious of everything electronic. Stuff may fail 6-12 months down the track as a result of a near strike. Keep records of current claims for insurance purposes down the track. A good electronics tech will will help with confirming claims.

ric
29-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Not quite sure what you mean ric. A lightning strike that causes damage, whether it hit the shed or the tree, is covered under my insurance.

Rang my broker (emailled him Sunday am to give him a heads up) and he said get your sparky in to fix everything, replace the fridge with like for like & keep the receipts, sort the TV that got fried (being picked up tomorrow for assessment) & send him copies of everything & all is covered!!

Happy days.

Tony

Yeah we got knocked back on insurance a few years back when lightening hit out the front but insurance would only payout on a direct hit.
Glad your covered!!