PDA

View Full Version : Stickers on your boats - Opinions Please

Grim Reefer 750
24-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Scenario - You take your boat in for Repairs / Improvements / Maintenance and after work has been completed you arrive to pick up your boat only to find you now have extra graphics / advertising on your boat. Is this an acceptable practice, should we as boat owners put up with this sort of thing, when there has been no prior phone calls, discussions or written permissions.
:(

What's your thoughts??

Cheers :-?

WalrusLike
24-11-2013, 08:06 AM
It annoys me no end. I don't think they have the right to do it.

Fair enough if asked, but otherwise no. We shouldn't have to remember to tell them not to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ifishcq1
24-11-2013, 08:10 AM
If they only put a small service sticker on the motor or next to the motor on the transom and they look after me I tend to not worry
cheers

FisHard
24-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Years ago, I had to deal with a certain truck brand for warranty. I hated them!
After one ridiculously outrageous service, they put their mudflaps on my truck. I unscrewed them on the spot and threw them on the ground in their yard. Best day of my life, getting rid of that truck. No way was I going to promote them!

DAVE_S
24-11-2013, 08:39 AM
I do not have a problem with it as long as they are happy to pay my invoice every month for advertising :)

Webby08
24-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Nope hate it just as much as I hate it when a caryard/service center/mechanic/panel beater does that exact same thing.

Generally its after they have just raped you on a service as well. If your charging $100 an hour pay for your own advertising.

deckie
24-11-2013, 09:55 AM
No problem at all with it.
Especially when its placed up under the rub rail where a gaff has gouged the gelcoat. 8-)
If not happy with service just take it off.

Its those silly brand name stickers i hate...its cringewrothy. Who the hell wants to give Daiwa or Berkeley free advertising...then complain about a local business putting a small service sticker on.
Steve

Shark Poker
24-11-2013, 10:09 AM
And yet many of my customers have ASKED for stickers. (But I don't have any.)

tunaticer
24-11-2013, 10:41 AM
I remove them every time they appear......if they want me to advertise their product they can pay me to do so.

Apollo
24-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Hate it. Have told the car mechanic that if I find another on the back of the ute or missus wagon, then we are going elsewhere. I don't put my business stickers on there vehicles/shop. Happy for the service reminder sticker beside the motor or on the inside of windscreen, but that is it.

no chicken tonight
24-11-2013, 12:59 PM
I dont mind at all. When they have done the work with pride and put a small good looking sticker on, then Im happy to advertise for them.
Hey Gary, got any stickers?

no chicken tonight
24-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Seriously, who DIDNT like the exhaust shop "No muff too tuff" stickers.

outta line
24-11-2013, 03:01 PM
shits me to tears ....its not there rite to place stickers where they want on other peoples property..and have pulled stickers off my boat in front of them. if their service is sticker worthy then part of that service should be asking the customer if they want a sticker not just doing it....... mick

fandtm666
24-11-2013, 03:28 PM
its one of my biggest pet hates, take car - boat for service and end up with stickers

i pull them off in front of them and place them on their front entrance doors.

justlovefishing
24-11-2013, 05:42 PM
i always put a service reminder sticker in the top of the windscreen drivers side. Wont put any other stickers on though as it shits me no end when you pick up your car, boat etc and have big stickers on the thing. I have had my tool box 20 years and there is not a sticker on it.

LittleSkipper
24-11-2013, 06:29 PM
I can certainly relate to this post, but at the end of the day if you get the service you pay for why whinge like a POM over some advertising stickers. There are more important things to worry about in life?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Mrs Ronnie H
25-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Hi
No stickers on my boat full stop. When it was first bought that was one thing I clearly outlined-there were to be no stickers,advertising anywhere on the boat. I have one on the trailer but thats it and if anyone dared to put one on the boat they would be taking it off in a real hurry.

Mrs H

BigE
25-11-2013, 07:25 PM
No real issue with stickers if i got good service then why not. If i didnt get good service then just peel it off or write SUX in niko on it :) ...... Must say the issue seems to be a very 1st world type of problem.

BigE

deckie
26-11-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm really at a loss trying to understand the mindset of some.

Its as though some people think their bit of tin or gelcoat is something precious...too precious to even allow a local business that employs locals to even put a removeable sticker on it.

Take some pride in your local business. If you arnt happy with the service remove it, but what the hell can possibly be wrong or bad about having a little sticker on your boat that says you;re happy to tell people that "Joe Blogs marine" keeps your rig running well.

I cant imagine people are petty enough to think a local business should be somehow "paying for advertising space" or something along those lines. Noone would be so petty as to resent that would they ?...if so i'd guess half would be the types that would rather pay $350 for a fishing rod that does the same thing as a $50 rod, because they;ve been sucked into thinking its somehow better...then they put the sticker on their tackle box or side of the boat like its meant to impress people.

Only too happy to support quality local business...we depend on them as much as they depend on us. I dont want them to be spending their hard earnt on advertising...and i;m only too happy to show their name to the world if i was a satisfied customer. At worst simply let them know WHERE you'd be happy to have it stuck on.

I see rigs at the ramp (admitedly they;re mainly catfish skateboards) at the ramp with stickers on them they've even paid for ::) I cant even begin to imagine why anyone would actually PAY to be a billboard for a company to advertise :-[...do these people think they look like some sort of fishing pro ? makes them look like know what they're doing does it ? Its cringeworthy.

Support your local businesses.

Steve

Apollo
26-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Deckie

It is not about the sticker in my book, but rather that they didn't ask for it to be put on my property first. Plain rude. I would not put some advertisement of my business on someones property without asking, so I don't expect it from someone else. Silly thing is that my local mechanic admits that he get 90% of his work from word of mouth, yet he annoys the very people who gives him that word of mouth. I am not in the minority in this regard, so he has stopped doing it.

As far as 'support your local business', well that is what I am doing by getting them to do the work and paying them promptly for doing it.

Nslfishing
26-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Personally I have no problem with helping out the guys who helped me out.

I do agree that they should at least ask if/where you want a sticker. Maybe it would be a good idea just to give the customer a sticker and they can make up there own mind.

Cheers Nic

Betty boop
26-11-2013, 07:39 AM
I'm really at a loss trying to understand the mindset of some.

Its as though some people think their bit of tin or gelcoat is something precious...too precious to even allow a local business that employs locals to even put a removeable sticker on it.

Take some pride in your local business. If you arnt happy with the service remove it, but what the hell can possibly be wrong or bad about having a little sticker on your boat that says you;re happy to tell people that "Joe Blogs marine" keeps your rig running well.

I cant imagine people are petty enough to think a local business should be somehow "paying for advertising space" or something along those lines. Noone would be so petty as to resent that would they ?...if so i'd guess half would be the types that would rather pay $350 for a fishing rod that does the same thing as a $50 rod, because they;ve been sucked into thinking its somehow better...then they put the sticker on their tackle box or side of the boat like its meant to impress people.

Only too happy to support quality local business...we depend on them as much as they depend on us. I dont want them to be spending their hard earnt on advertising...and i;m only too happy to show their name to the world if i was a satisfied customer. At worst simply let them know WHERE you'd be happy to have it stuck on.

I see rigs at the ramp (admitedly they;re mainly catfish skateboards) at the ramp with stickers on them they've even paid for ::) I cant even begin to imagine why anyone would actually PAY to be a billboard for a company to advertise :-[...do these people think they look like some sort of fishing pro ? makes them look like know what they're doing does it ? Its cringeworthy.

Support your local businesses.

Steve

Deckie

As Apollo pointed out it is not about the sticker it's about getting permission to place that sticker on the boat.

We own that piece of tin or gelcoat.

So why should we not have a say as to what is put on it?

I have no issue with supporting Local Businesses and that is something we should all be doing.

It's not about being PETTY.

As far as I am concerned its vandalism.

This Boat is your property and to place any sort of advertisement anywhere whether it be on a Billboard,Bus,etc requires payment.

So why should your Boat be any different?

deckie
26-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Getting permission ?
To put a little sticker on "your property" ??

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk ::)

WalrusLike
26-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Deckie its just common courtesy.

If I want to dry my towel I wouldn't expect I had a 'right' to place it on your cars bonnet. I don't believe I have the right to bung a bumper sticker on your car....

Why can you not accept that other people's stuff is theirs... and they are the ones who decide what is, or is not, stuck on it?

Grim Reefer 750
26-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Getting permission ?

Hey Deckie - I don' think people are talking about little service stickers, but more so the larger ones placed on the sides of your boat.

Cheers

Apollo
26-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Getting permission ?

Guess we were just brought up differently.

Cheech
26-11-2013, 09:09 AM
My current motor that I bought second hand had a bloody big sticker across the back of the cowling. Ugly and really stood out. Took me an hour to get rid of it as it was baked on. Damaged the cowling a bit as well.

They have no right to apply them.

deckie
26-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Ok then maybe its just that the locals around here have small stickers...and dont slap them on places that are a pain.

Just how big are these stickers ? roughly.

Jarrah Jack
26-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Ok then maybe its just that the locals around here have small stickers...and dont slap them on places that are a pain.

Just how big are these stickers ? roughly.

About twice as big as your willie Deckie ;D;D;D

WalrusLike
26-11-2013, 10:04 AM
I don't care what size it is..., respecting other people's property means you don't sticker it.

deckie
26-11-2013, 10:35 AM
About twice as big as your willie Deckie ;D;D;D
For the benefit of others who may not know..like everyone else in here i'm hung like a mallee bull. Everyone except maybe Jack ;D ;D
But hey, thats the cold Victorian weather for ya, right Jack ? 8-):P

I had no idea the stickers were that big. Yeah bugger it, tell them not to deface your pride and joy with these monstrosities.