PDA

View Full Version : platey sunk NE of hutchies?

trueblue
21-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Anyone know what happened? last 10 days or so

captain rednut
21-11-2013, 08:35 PM
i heard it all happen on the vhf, one minute they were talking to there mates about fishing and not long after they were asking for there mate to assist them very quickly as the boat was going down, and then i heard the water police asking there mate all the details and if they needed assistance but they told the police it went straight down the bloke on the radio said. Ive heard this boat on the radio every time the weather was good as its name was PUMP ACTION.
it was good to hear the crew got picked up almost straight away after there distress call.

Robbery
22-11-2013, 09:27 AM
If its the Pump Action that I put the signs on years ago ......it was a nice boat, a big platey with the full windscreens. Still here's another example of air chambers vs foam filled. I hope all are OK and insured.

craigie
22-11-2013, 06:17 PM
So pump action was air chambers or foam filled ??

fly_1
23-11-2013, 12:06 PM
We were there, it was a big red rebel platey. Both guys got out and were shaken but ok. The boat sat bow up for roughly 3 hrs before it sank. I was in my kevlacat and another bloke in his noosacat answered the calls. As it sank and both guys were ok the water police didn't come out. Weather was good, with about a 10 kit northerly blowing.

fly_1
23-11-2013, 12:16 PM
A couple of shots of the boat

WalrusLike
23-11-2013, 12:53 PM
So does anyone know the cause?

seashawgal
23-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Lucky other boats could quickly offer them help. Poor guys.
I once dived at Hutchinson's Rock off Moreton. It was not a relaxing experience. It was about 70 feet the current was strong poor visibility I felt anxious and I began to feel sick and nearly passed out down there everything just went white. Lucky my buddy got me back into the boat safely. I know the anxiety of being in an out of the way sort of area and feeling so grateful for others looking after me.
Safety of life at sea becomes very precious.

gofishin
23-11-2013, 01:47 PM
So does anyone know the cause? Water...! 8-)

Anything else would be speculation at this stage as I doubt even those on board would know, as it sounds like it all happened pretty quickly.

Glad to hear there were boats near by & the crew weren't in the water long.
Cheers
Brendon

PS. Yes it would be interesting to know, but unless the boat is salvaged we will never know for sure.

fly_1
23-11-2013, 01:53 PM
As it sank in 85m of water I don't like the chances of it being salvaged.

solemandownunder
23-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Hmmmmm....a new arti...what are the co-ordinates please ;) ;D

BUT, sincerely, it was a bonus that there were boats nearby....if NOT, may have ended in a Search & Rescue....and from reports of late.....THAT may NOT have ended nearly so well.

Congrats for surviving guys.....get a ticket in 2nights lotto ;)

Cheers, Ray.

marto78
23-11-2013, 06:18 PM
So does anyone know the cause?

1. I'm pretty sure that the gps died
2. They became disorientated
3. And the boat could no longer tell whether it was meant to be on or under the water

::):o;D

But seriously I'm glad they were rescued quickly and that no one was injured.

Shark Poker
23-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Over a three hour plus period, it was decided not to attach an anchor ball or other float to mark the position of the hull for safety or possible salvage reasons or even as a possible future fishing spot?

solemandownunder
23-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Over a three hour plus period, it was decided not to attach an anchor ball or other float to mark the position of the hull for safety or possible salvage reasons or even as a possible future fishing spot?

Nah, sall good M8, satnav remotely gpsd' it for posterity ;D

Muddy Toes
23-11-2013, 07:25 PM

Why?
Not exactly going to be a navigation hazard in 85m of water and the position it went down can easily be recorded using a GPS.

All a float would do is leave a bit of rope just under the surface to tangle around props when it was cut off.................

Shark Poker
23-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Not really getting what you mean muddy toes.
Over a long, long 3hr period.... putting a rope and float on the vessel would seem to help monitor its movement and location.
"85m NE off Hutchies" is subject to massive changes in depth and the current can really rip thru there in differing directions.

It would require a vessel to land in very shallow water without any current for a rope to be a hazard.
Hopefully the vessel was insured and wished to be written off, but it might have been on everyone's' mind, over such a long period, to mark it with a buoy.

fly_1
23-11-2013, 08:18 PM
The decision to Not mark it with a buoy was made by the water police after they spoke to the vessels insurance company. After it was certain it was going to sink, and not just sit under the surface they water police told us to make a note of the position and let it sink.
Of course we would have put a buoy on it, but after being instructed not to we didn't.
Trent

Muddy Toes
23-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Not really getting what you mean muddy toes.
Over a long, long 3hr period.... putting a rope and float on the vessel would seem to help monitor its movement and location.
"85m NE off Hutchies" is subject to massive changes in depth and the current can really rip thru there in differing directions.

It would require a vessel to land in very shallow water without any current for a rope to be a hazard.
Hopefully the vessel was insured and wished to be written off, but it might have been on everyone's' mind, over such a long period, to mark it with a buoy.

I think you're clutching at straws here............

So you attach a rope and float to it.....It gets washed along the sea floor in to deeper water......float and rope=useless.
So you get smart and tie a very long rope and a float to it to counter this possible scenario........just created a navigational hazard if it goes shallower.
Not really hard to pick the direction and speed it would move if it does move.
Not really hard to find it on the sounder.
Who is going to want to recover a trailer boat in that depth?

ric
23-11-2013, 10:01 PM
With the laws of basic flotation, how can the boat sink? I thought basic was meant to keep the boat afloat, but not necessarily the right side up? Aren't all boats required to be basic flotation to be registered?

Grim Reefer 750
24-11-2013, 07:53 AM
So pump action was air chambers or foam filled ??

I'm guessing it would not of sunk if it was foam filled, anymore info on this incident???

Cheers

gofishin
24-11-2013, 08:07 AM
...Aren't all boats required to be basic flotation to be registered? Yes, those under 6m and constructed or imported after 2005, maybe 2006 from memory - can't remember exactly.

The choices are 'Basic' or 'Level' flotation, but the important part..."how is this flotation achieved"...is/was not required to be included on the ABP.

It has been a long while (9+ yrs) since I have read any of the applicable standards, or designed/specified flotation requirements for recreational vessels <6m, so things could have changed a lot, but builders used to have a choice as to what standard/how they determine the flotation required for their boat under the ABP.

ISO and US standards (not to mention other countries that also adopted these regulations) have/had for many decades imposed restrictions on the use of air chambers for 'flotation requirements'. If air chambers were used as flotation devices with vessels <6m, then the largest two air chambers were not allowed to be used when determining 'conformity' with the standard.

This constraint was in place for safety reasons, to account for the possibility that air chambers can 'for many reasons' not hold air as they are supposed to. This requirement meant that for the majority or rec vessels <6m, it was pointless using air chambers as part of the 'flotation design'.

Here we get in to the definitions of 'flotation' and 'positive flotation' - the latter being where a material or device is used to positively displace the water, i.e. foam flotation material.

I'm not implying that this boat had air chambers, it may have had any type of flotation. At the time of the incident it just did not have 'sufficient' flotation to remain afloat.
Cheers
Brendon

tunaticer
24-11-2013, 10:53 AM
I know of two boats that had thwart seats and foatation removed and fully floored.
Under the flooring they stuffed sealed plastic milk bottles for floatation tanks.
Probably not a bad idea to cram every small area with a sealed milk bottle I guess.

Noelm
24-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah, that's a great idea,except for the fact that plastic milk bottles degrade to almost nothing after a while.

WalrusLike
24-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Yeah, that's a great idea,except for the fact that plastic milk bottles degrade to almost nothing after a while.

As usual, I could be wrong, and often am, but I think degradeable plastics are degraded by UV light.... so if the milk bottles are underfloor they _might_ be right for 200 years.

I think that physical abrasion from boat vibration and movement would be a greater risk. Personally I would be very careful with flotation.... I've seen foams that were just sludge after a while.

I wonder what my boat has?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shark Poker
24-11-2013, 01:36 PM
On the subject of flotation, most big plateys in the past have been built with air chambers rather than foam.
(As a window/hatch fabricator - trying to sort out cabin/top deck/roof arrangements - I climbed into more half built different plate boats than probably anybody)

I guess the logic is that people like the strength and rugged durability of plate boats. How are you going to break open stiffened plate to release the air? And even if you did, it is underfloor beneath a sealed deck.

However, these sealed compartments are welded shut, but not properly sealed or pressure tested (as we would do when building a fuel tank) so in a capsize or similar drama it would be possible for the air to slowly disappear and be replaced by water.
When this happens, it is hard to explain how quickly something buoyant turns into a weight bound for the sea floor so quickly.

That is why foam is seen to be the solution.

Some concerns that some ally builders had ( have) is that some foam products absorb moisture, and others hold build-up of salt against the alum surfaces leading to potentially major corrosion issues.

For many builder the 'jury is still out' on the subject of flotation, especially on hulls that have compartments welded shut, and therefore you can NOT inspect the interior, EVER.

I will check with the builder later today or tomorrow and if I learn anything suitable to post, will do so.

gofishin
24-11-2013, 10:40 PM
...Under the flooring they stuffed sealed plastic milk bottles for floatation tanks.
Probably not a bad idea to cram every small area with a sealed milk bottle I guess.

A few problems with this theory, and with this type & shape of plastic bottle.
1. Milk bottles are designed to hold a liquid which is under no pressure, and are square in section as a result. (the benefit for the milkman is that they package better in crates!) The lid is not a good seal under pressure either. Plastic soft drink bottles on the other hand are round (because they are designed to withstand pressure from within), and hence have a much better sealing lid.

2. With basic flotation, the boat will turn turtle and most likely float in a stern down or even vertical position. If you have a 6m boat with 'bottles' for flotation, with some at the stern, and it becomes submerged just like the one in the photo - i.e. vertical & 1m of bow above the water, then the bottles at the stern will be 5m under water and subject to ~50kPa (1/2 an atm) of pressure from outside. What do you think will happen to a milk bottle at 1m deep let alone 5m? It will crush, thus it displaces less water and hence it offers less buoyancy, so the boat sinks a little deeper, the pressure gets greater, the bottle crushes more....the cycle repeats itself until the boat hits the seabed....

3. The volumetric efficiency of bottle bundles are not that good. By this I mean the amount of water displaced by a number of bottles vs the physical space these bottles take up together. There are lots of gaps between the bottles, no matter how you arrange them. Therefore, you will need more spaces to fill with bottles than say if you were just using foam in those spaces.

4. Voids in boats available for flotation are normally odd shapes, hence when filling this space with bottles it becomes even harder to maximise the 'displaced water'.

cheers

stevej
25-11-2013, 06:43 AM
As usual, I could be wrong, and often am, but I think degradeable plastics are degraded by UV light.... so if the milk bottles are underfloor they _might_ be right for 200 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Uv Rays can penetrate many surfaces, heat can be transferred from the floor surface to the bottles causeing them to be come brittle

WalrusLike
25-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Yeah.... 'Tell him he's dreamin'. :)

Thanks for the physics reality check. Milk bottles would be near useless if any deeper than a few inches.

Tinspo
25-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Hi All,

Does anyone have the contact details for the poor bloke who lost his boat? I have done some salvage in the area and would be keen to give it a go.

Best,

Jeremy

GBC
25-11-2013, 11:09 AM
AMSA uses ping pong balls to keep holed tankers afloat. Don't know about the long term stability of the plastic, but they are used, I know that for sure.

Fish Face
25-11-2013, 05:45 PM
Pool noodles are perfect for flotation.

Dantren
25-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone have the contact details for the poor bloke who lost his boat? I have done some salvage in the area and would be keen to give it a go.

Best,

Jeremy

He's got heaps of pics' up on seabreeze. Should be able to pm him there.

Robbery
26-11-2013, 12:48 PM
The fact that that boat floated on its nose for a few hours as seen in the pics brings me to question the police not wanting to do anything towards salvage.....I know that life comes first....but it could have been towed onto the plane, drained and saved (Done many times before). Then our insurance premiums would not need to be increased to cover the payout. I know as a VMR skipper covering that area the risk assessment would have allowed me that option. I would imagine that there was at least 150 litres of fuel that will slowly leak into the ocean, and a host of other nasties that will contaminate the fish stocks out there. A Vee hull will tow to an upright position and a sealed floor scuppered design will allow the boat to drain at speed....alternatively and a little more complicated is to use two boats with ropes under the sunken vessel and drive apart to tighten the ropes and bring it to the surface. I'm just commenting that they had the time and conditions to protect the environment and salvage the boat.....but probably not the funds or the will.

solemandownunder
26-11-2013, 01:21 PM
I have been SUSS about all this, since the "SO CALLED" police said, "let it sink"...jus sayin'....and sayin' it LOUD;) ::)

fly_1
26-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Not sure what you mean by "so called police??". I was there and talking to the water police as obviously the other vessels radios were underwater! The water police were the ones ( under instructions from club marine) who they had on the ph that made the call to not try and save it! They instructed us to leave it, ie let it sink!
To the armchair experts I would keep your so called expert comments to yourself as you have no idea what happened on the day.
Was it the correct call, who knows. But the two vessels that actually went over and helped were simply following what the water police wanted.

Muddy Toes
26-11-2013, 02:19 PM
I have been SUSS about all this, since the "SO CALLED" police said, "let it sink"...jus sayin'....and sayin' it LOUD;) ::)

What is wrong with you?

Te Whiti
26-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Robbery,

Some interesting points you mention there regarding your interest in righting the boat if you (as a VMR skipper) had been there.
I had a small boat (4.8 metre CC) capsize on the western beach off Tangalooma in a big westerly storm.The boat was floating hull up and connected to the anchor/mooring.
As a member of the VMR Bribie Island I called them the following morning. 4 of them came out on one of their big boats and yelled to me from afar that there was nothing they could do for me and "Why don't I go ask the guys at Tangalooma if they could bring down one of their tractors".......The guys on the back deck stood there with their inflatable jackets on (in a glass out) and just wanted to take pictures, whilst they watched me single handedly swim out to the boat with mask/fins, undo the D shackle that attached the boat to the mooring and then swim the boat (against a king high tide current) to the beach.

I'm still unsure why they even came across that morning,they had all the information before leaving and offered no assistance.

I love the idea of the VMR, but I cancelled my membership after that experience.

Mark

Crunchy
26-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Gees mate, glad I'm with Coast Guard:o

Noelm
26-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Pool noodles are perfect for flotation.
It would be a toss up to see which degraded first, the noodles or the bottles

Horse
26-11-2013, 06:43 PM

Ray, do you have anything to back up your ASSertions? Unless you KNOW something the rest of us don't you should keep your malicious slander to yourself. Its not welcome in the Ausfish community

solemandownunder
26-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Ray, do you have anything to back up your ASSertions? Unless you KNOW something the rest of us don't you should keep your malicious slander to yourself. Its not welcome in the Ausfish community

I respect your posts Horse and have followed your comments since I joined this forum, so I thank you and respect your reply.

There is NO assertion made....simply MY OPINION only.

However....Please re-read conflicting posts 2 & 5 of this thread....WHICH is correct ?

Also, unless I have missed something here....I am still at a loss as to the REASON this all happened in the first place.....there has been NO information offered as to how this all actually came about. Sure I am not the ONLY one who is curious as to the cause.

Thanks, Ray.

WalrusLike
26-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Um er, I am pretty sure we all are interested in the cause.

I'm also pretty sure there is no obligation on the part of the owner or the water police to come on here and explain it all to us.

Losing perspective anybody??

Triple
26-11-2013, 09:33 PM
but they told the police it went straight down the bloke on the radio said.

The boat sat bow up for roughly 3 hrs before it sank.

I can see why soleman is questioning it..

But "went straight down" may mean it has gone under quite quickly but still floating bow up...

solemandownunder
26-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Um er, I am pretty sure we all are interested in the cause.

I'm also pretty sure there is no obligation on the part of the owner or the water police to come on here and explain it all to us.

Losing perspective anybody??

WL, I am ALSO pretty sure that there is no reason why NOT.....and as this is a forum that includes the mishaps we all go through AND the reasons behind it, I don't see it as unreasonable to ask the question.....do YOU ?

fishing111
26-11-2013, 10:05 PM
So just out of curiosity if someone did find this hull and salvage it would it be a finders keepers situation?

cobiaman
26-11-2013, 10:12 PM

And YOU think I have a LOW iq......

solemandownunder
26-11-2013, 10:18 PM
So just out of curiosity if someone did find this hull and salvage it would it be a finders keepers situation?

As it has been "officially" announced by others that both the Police & Insurance declared "Let it sink", (although, not "officially" confirmed on this forum by said authorities) .....then I would see NO reason why not.

If I were you, I would contact the necessary parties to confirm ALL of the above information that has been stated in this thread....JUST to cover ur you know what.

Cheers, Ray.

cobiaman
26-11-2013, 10:21 PM
As it has been "officially" announced by others that both the Police & Insurance declared "Let it sink", (although, not "officially" confirmed on this forum by said authorities) .....then I would see NO reason why not.

If I were you, I would contact the necessary parties to confirm ALL of the above information that has been stated in this thread....JUST to cover ur you know what.

Cheers, Ray.

When have police and insurance companys ever come on here to "officially" confirm anything?

solemandownunder
26-11-2013, 10:22 PM
And YOU think I have a LOW iq......

I wasn't gunna...but what the heck.....I don't THINK...I KNOW :P

Hint: Go to Bunnings...buy some timber, build a bridge, then jus slide right OVER that sucker. :P

Cheers, Ray.

Boat hog 2
26-11-2013, 10:28 PM
I wasn't gunna...but what the heck.....I don't THINK...I KNOW :P

Hint: Go to Bunnings...buy some timber, build a bridge, then jus slide right OVER that sucker. :P

Cheers, Ray.

rEaLlY.... DiD yOu NoT ReAd GoOd In ScHOoL and have to put every second word in capitals as you spelt it out?
Now what the hell are you on about so called police? where do i borrow a water police boat from to pose as a cop so i can go back at a later date to salvage a boat in the middle of no where with no markers... at the bottom of the ocean i might add.. while your spelling out your words maybe you should write them on a peice of paper first so you don't sound so silly

solemandownunder
26-11-2013, 10:32 PM
When have police and insurance companys ever come on here to "officially" confirm anything?

I see someone has actually CAUGHT some decent Cobia....cool hey :P

As I said low iq baby.....and PLEASE read ALL of my post before replying...mite jus be that damn iq thang, but I am sure you will develop in time >:(

"If I were you, I would contact the necessary parties to confirm ALL of the above information that has been stated in this thread....JUST to cover ur you know what."

What part of THAT did you NOT understand ?

Boat hog 2
26-11-2013, 10:34 PM

As I said low iq baby.....and PLEASE read ALL of my post before replying...mite jus be that damn iq thang, but I am sure you will develop in time >:(

"If I were you, I would contact the necessary parties to confirm ALL of the above information that has been stated in this thread....JUST to cover ur you know what."

What part of THAT did you NOT understand ?

All OF it.

cobiaman
26-11-2013, 10:37 PM

You really think that bothers me do you? That someone caught a few cobia?

I feel sorry for you ray, i hope you can get some help for the problems you have....

Triple
26-11-2013, 10:39 PM

From what I've read , Unless it has been officially declared as "abandoned" by the owner/s, insurers and the captain who was in charge at the time of the incident you cannot touch it or it's contents.

edit - old post from here.

Type of salvage is "Open form salvage", Pure salvage or "contract salvage".

Open form salvage is very complicated and the most well know open form salvage agreements are LLoyds Open Form and the US Open Form.

Regardless of the type of salvage, all cargo, personal effects, vessel fitments etc all remain the property of the owner. No salvage laws give right of ownership of any of this to the salvage operator.

The only rights under salvage are per the agreements. For contract salvage, a normal contract will provide a fixed fee such as a day rate for the salvage vessel, crane barges, etc, etc to conduct its operations, and perhaps a bonus if they do succeed. If they fail to succeed in the salvage attempt under contract salvage operations, they still get paid for their work. If they recover small portions of property, it remains the property of the owner.

Under Open Form Salvage there may, or may not be an actual agreement reached either in writing or verbally over the radio prior to the salvage beginning. The open form contition of salvage is accepted where the vessel is in peril of being lost (Vessel - not crew) and the master accepts a towage line or other physical assistance from the salvage operator. The salvage operator will then declare at the first convenience available to him, which Open form he is providing the assistance under.

A crew rescue does not come under salvage. Salvage refers to recovery of property.

All vessels at sea are required to provide rescue to persons in peril within their capabilities.

Under Open Form salvage, there is a specific clause that says "No Cure - No Pay". This means that the attempted salvage must be successful, and the salvage operator must present the salvaged vessel in some manner to the owner where by the owner recovers the "hull of the vessel". This is called "the Cure".

If the vessel was not at risk of being lost (permanently) at the time operations began, and the salvage operator did not subsequently present the vessel hull to the owner, the Open Form salvage did not take place and there is no payment of any sort to the salvage operator. Vessels aground will not normally come under an open form salvage because by this time the ships owners have been able to engage a contract salvage operator. A vessel aground also does not satisfy the requirement of the vessel to be in imminent danger of being lost - it isn't going anywhere.

Payment in respect of an open form salvage is calculated by percentage value of the hull only. Property / cargo do not usually enter into the equation. The "Open" form is just that, there are no rules set in stone to determine the cash settlement. The arbitrator takes into account the hull value, sometimes the cargo, and also the amount of risk, difficulty and expense endured by the salvage operator in performing the salvage. Part of the Open form agreement also says that both parties are bound by the first and only decision of the arbitrator.

Regarding property from the vessel: There are specific terms for this. "Jetsam" is property / cargo etc that was thrown into the sea by the crew of a stricken vessel in an attempt to keep it afloat. "Floatsam" is property / cargo that floated off the vessel while it was floundering. "Ligan" is property remaining on the vessel. These very clearly remain the property of the owner under all circumstances.

If a salvage operator uses the LLoyds Open Form agreement another catch clause is that all claims for settlement must be settled by mandatory third party arbitration (not in the courts) and this arbitration must take place in London, England.

Open form salvage is an incentive for a master to risk his vessel to save the property of another vessel and be adequately compensated on the basis that the entire stricken vessel would otherwise have been permanently lost.

Salvage of sunken vessels would normally come under contract salvage. Even a sunken vessel remains the property of the owner until officially abandoned by the owner to the state.

Regards

Mick"

solemandownunder
26-11-2013, 10:42 PM
rEaLlY.... DiD yOu NoT ReAd GoOd In ScHOoL and have to put every second word in capitals as you spelt it out?
Now what the hell are you on about so called police? where do i borrow a water police boat from to pose as a cop so i can go back at a later date to salvage a boat in the middle of no where with no markers... at the bottom of the ocean i might add.. while your spelling put your words maybe you should write them on a peice of paper first so you don't sound so silly

Oh GOD...save me now...even ur good self stated "every second word in capitals"?????

and then THIS, akin to the mentality of "suckerfish" and his mate "mudeye"...
"rEaLlY.... DiD yOu NoT ReAd GoOd In ScHOoL"

SHOW me in ANY post on this forum where I have EVER been THAT dyslexic to type such dribble ????

Just WHAT are you guys SMOKIN' ?...I WANT some, cos I MUST be missing SOMETHING here ::)

cobiaman
26-11-2013, 10:48 PM
I DOUBT THERE is a drug known to mankind that can MAKE us understand WHAT YOU Are on About....

Boat hog 2
26-11-2013, 10:51 PM
It's written in dribble so maybe you could understand your first thread. Clearly you coul t even see the first sentence was a blatant pay out of your over use of capitals.
Do you know when capitals should be used? Did they have capitals back in your day?
More than happy to give you an English lesson.
You ask what we smoke yet your the only one that can't understand us however the whole community can't understand you? Think about it, take as much time as you need.

Humdinger
26-11-2013, 10:56 PM
I can see what you guys mean
I just tried to work out what he was on about
Done my head in

solemandownunder
26-11-2013, 10:57 PM
It's written in dribble so maybe you could understand your first thread. Clearly you coul t even see the first sentence was a blatant pay out of your over use of capitals.
Do you know when capitals should be used? Did they have capitals back in your day?
More than happy to give you an English lesson.
You ask what we smoke yet your the only one that can't understand us however the whole community can't understand you? Think about it, take as much time as you need.

Is there a limit on Capitals ? :) Am I overUSING them :) Will they run out ?:)

Do you NOT understand the use of INFLECTIONS ::)

Humdinger
26-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Ok I must be dumb but what are you deflecting

FisHard
27-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Anyone for a HAPPY MEAL at McDonald's?
:D

odes20
27-11-2013, 06:29 AM
Apart from all the arguing / English lessons, and the like about anyone's posts on this thread, I'm intently watching and waiting to hear what happened. How did this thing go down, ?? (to having its bow only pointing out of the briney)

Was it holed, was it a rear anchoring mishap? Did everyone run to one side to see if it was a cobia :) As an offshore boatie, I'm keen to learn anything I can out of these seeming strange happenings. ??

Horse
27-11-2013, 06:50 AM
We are all interested to see what caused the loss of the vessel but we will have to wait until something leaks out (not the BS leaking out of some posts at the moment).
The vessels occupants were lucky that it was a calm day and there were plenty of others to lend a hand.
I hope those that are pushing the conspiracy theory take a deep breath and step back from the keyboard for a while until the situation becomes clearer
As for punctuation and the over use of capital letters I have to admit I find it as distracting as bad grammar or poor spelling. It certainly takes away from the validity of an argument and makes the writer look a little like a buffoon.

Bull
27-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Is there a limit on Capitals ? :) Am I overUSING them :) Will they run out ?:)

Do you NOT understand the use of INFLECTIONS ::)

I had an INFLECTION once but a good dose of penicillin cleared that right up

WalrusLike
27-11-2013, 07:38 AM
I had an INFLECTION once but a good dose of penicillin cleared that right up

Yeah but I wish you'd told me first.,,... :)

odes20
27-11-2013, 08:16 AM
The references to it being a calm day are what has given rise to my desire to learn what really happened. All we know at present is, it must have been something unusual, accidental, or an error of judgement.

GBC
27-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Knowing exactly 3/4 SFA about it, I'll guess it was a simple as not putting the bungs in, or a bait tank hose coming loose and slowly filling below decks then she just gently rolls over.

maimai
27-11-2013, 09:59 AM
boat sinks and another thread turns to shit :(

odes20
27-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Cmon pull thru could get really informative yet!

boat sinks and another thread turns to shit :(

jmwarner
27-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Why cant we all just get along???

Robbery
27-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Te Whiti,
I'm sorry that you struck one of " those Crews" with your need for VMR assist. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who join the VMR for the social side and become a "trained" crew in a classroom. Because of my cancer I have resigned from my position in VMR but will still vouch for the talents of some of the seaman still there......it's the luck of the draw. The laws have changed and now the training is demanding but in all the wrong areas. Have a look at the PPE gear that they are made to wear......inflatable pfd1, hats, shoes and sox, safety harness etc. they are not going to get in the water to help you because they will have to take their shoes off...lol VMRs are part of the SES and have to fit in with Qld Gov. Federal Gov. and International standards.
Anyway the next time I hook Australia when I'm fishing Hutchies I'll refer to it as tagging PUMP ACTION....lol

fly_1
27-11-2013, 01:00 PM
Just to clarify, the boat was fishing/trolling around the hutchies area most of the morning. I know this as we were also working the area for a while. We then headed into the trench area. We had been in the trench area for about an hour when the boat first made a distress call.
So what happened between the time we saw them trolling around to the time they were in the drink, who knows??
The boat sank ( after sitting bow up ) for a few hours. The guys were picked up and as I have mentioned previously the decision to let it sink was made by the authorities.
It's in about 80 odd metres of water, so I can't imagine anyone bothering to salvage it.
There were two guys on the boat, and two boats that came to help.(total about 8 guys know its actual position). I am sure over time it will get out, but as it's not my decision to release the mark I certainly won't be saying anything.
The guys were lucky that a few boats were still in the area, as it's not the nicest area to be bobbing around in the drink.
Once again to the armchair experts, I hope this clears things up, as this IS what happened!
As far as saying what caused it to sink, I have no idea, nor have I ever said I have any idea! I am sure all the experts here will make up their own theories.

Crunchy
27-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Gets ya thinking about carrying a small life raft that's for sure...

FisHard
27-11-2013, 03:33 PM
I bought a 2m blow up (boat) a couple of weeks ago at k mart for $15 Inc oars!

Back In Black
27-11-2013, 03:46 PM
Gets ya thinking about carrying a small life raft that's for sure...

Thats why I take a decent size esky. Carry my beers & act as a life raft!!

Jarrah Jack
27-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Thats why I take a decent size esky. Carry my beers & act as a life raft!!

That's why Muddy takes out Cobe's, but for his lemonade..

Boat Hog
27-11-2013, 04:27 PM
I only just read this thread for the first time ... boy, what a lot of BS .... and for once, none of it from me! mod2 take note!! ;D

Ohhh look those bloody annoying little Santa things are back .... :(:'(:). Still, they're better than those rabbits at Easter. What good are bloody Bunnies! :D (Another 1 for ya mod2)

I bought a 2m blow up (boat) a couple of weeks ago at k mart for $15 Inc oars!

Ha ha ..... Let me guess, you've stocked it with that Happy Meal as emergency rations!

Seriously, I think you'll be better off hitching a ride with Back in Black in that big esky.... I mean, at least he has beer in it (hint...don't ask if there's any Kahlua!).:-X

So where we up to ... Plate boat sinks ..... the people (& Soulman) want to know why is this so? I'll tell you why ... plate alloy is heavier than water, that's why!

Cause ..... Speculation at this time but might have something to do with .... not enough Pump Action ...

odes20
27-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Surely the crew has told someone something......