PDA

View Full Version : Trailer roller advice please

PeterKroll
20-11-2013, 08:01 PM
When I try to get my boat on the trailer, it's a real nightmare if there is any sort of run in the water or a bit of wind. There are a couple of rollers at the back which look like they are supposed to be a guide, but unfortunately the gap between the rollers is so small that it's almost impossible to get the boat to track through.

I have included a couple of photos of this setup, and I'm wondering if these rollers are positioned correctly. My feeling is that it shouldn't be this hard. Or should I just chuck them. (I am aware that the back of the boat is not in the right place :-[ ). The rollers are sitting wrong, because the bottom of the boat is also sitting wrong.

solemandownunder
20-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Hmmmmm...having similiar probs with the deHav, even with the "self centering roller" on the back.........beer & chips at the ready....::)

PeterKroll
20-11-2013, 08:15 PM
I wondered if I could simply turn them around...

solemandownunder
20-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Dont think that would work M8.....the horizontal roller mounts may interfere with each other ?

Good thought tho...

blairv70
20-11-2013, 09:23 PM
I just put a set of new rollers on it is like night and day - a massive improvement

The back roller is self centering you just need to be careful you put them on the right way

How are the rest of the rollers?

PeterKroll
20-11-2013, 09:40 PM
There's only those two at the back, then a skid, and then a couple of rollers up the front, about half a metre apart. Pretty standard for a tinnie trailer I think, apart from the back ones. I imagine the back ones are supposed to self-centre, but the gap just seems too narrow for real usage. Or is that how it is normally? I reckon the gap is 5cm or less, from edge to edge on the inside of the rollers.

Gon Fishun
20-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Think you need to get rid of that setup and fit something like this, or maybe a single roller on the rear.

PeterKroll
20-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Those look great. I imagine the V Load Guide would be really useful. Looks like the red centre roller is self-centering as well.

blairv70
20-11-2013, 10:26 PM
There's only those two at the back, then a skid, and then a couple of rollers up the front, about half a metre apart. Pretty standard for a tinnie trailer I think, apart from the back ones. I imagine the back ones are supposed to self-centre, but the gap just seems too narrow for real usage. Or is that how it is normally? I reckon the gap is 5cm or less, from edge to edge on the inside of the rollers.
You can get all sorts of brackets and posts so you should be able to findsomething. You can get clamp on post holders attach them to the frame, then add a bracket with a centering roller - will cost about $50 or so a Whitworths or Bias more at BCF.

Also a hammer, angle gri der, socket and beer

solemandownunder
21-11-2013, 05:37 AM
The boys at Boating & RV will set you up M8 ;)8-)

btw, I also have some more shopping to do there as well.....any time you are over :)

Cheers, Ray.

Schulzy
21-11-2013, 08:16 PM
In my opinion I'd go a single self centering roller. Have one on my tinny and it pulls it straight inline. Those rollers would be pinching have you greased them lately?

PeterKroll
21-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Schulzy, I did not think to grease them, and will do so. I have measured up my trailer today, and will be installing a single self-centering roller next week.

PeterKroll
04-12-2013, 11:43 AM
Well, I moved the two rollers about half a metre apart, and it all works like a dream. Now to grease the rollers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sami12
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
I thought grease would attract the sand and grit then cause more issues down the track?

Camhawk88
04-12-2013, 12:39 PM
YEah dont know if greasing will make any difference besides attracting crap. Wobble rollers should have plenty of play in them to allow them to roll freely. I have only ever greased the split pins on them to inhibit corrosion. Still might be worth a try as it will take 2 minutes and can be removed if it is getting clogged.

bigjimg
04-12-2013, 07:52 PM
I was going to suggest that you purchase 2 clamp on type adjusting tubes for your single wobble rollers and set them apart. Looks like you have done that.
I had my tinnie set up like that and over 41/2 yrs never had any retrieving problems. A lot of solo missions and the boat was routine launch and retrieve. Jim

PeterKroll
04-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Thanks, Jim. Yes, I'm not sure why they had the rollers jammed so close. One good thing, though. The old stem clamps were welded to the trailer chassis and they had to go, so I got to try my first ever slice and dice with a cutting wheel on a hand-held grinder. Wheeeeee!!! Like a hot knife through butter! I have now launched and retrieved twice, and it's a piece of cake.

fishychrissy
08-12-2013, 08:42 AM
Hi Peter,
Glad you got it sorted.
I've just got a single Keel roller at the back and I launch and retrieve on my own.
I find in any wind I just hook up the winch strap and keep tension on the strap so the keel at the bow is sitting on the middle of the roller.
Next, keeping up the tension, I pick up the slack with the winch, and then easy as that, the hull centres itself on the other two rollers.
Haven't seen those vee boat loaders for a while but I'd imagine you could have a beer whilst winching the boat back onto the trailer!
Cheers

PeterKroll
09-12-2013, 07:02 AM
I was going to try a self-centering roller., but these tilt rollers look like they will do the job now. However, I haven't tried loading it on the trailer in a decent chop yet, so I will have to wait and see.

It used to be a bit of a comedy, because I couldn't pull the boat far enough onto the trailer, so I'd hook on, run up to the winch, boat would have drifted off rollers, run back down, boat would be sitting sideways on top of the lights crunching away, pull back to rollers, splash back up to winch, boat drifted off rollers.... Etc, etc. Hope I've fixed it now.

Also have replaced the broken taillights and mounted them lower.

PeterKroll
09-12-2013, 07:06 AM
I didn't mention that the reason I couldn't pull it far enough on the trailer, was because the wobble rollers (being so close together) stopped it. Seems like a very satisfactory anti-retrieve device if you should ever want that. Maximum frustration guaranteed...

fishychrissy
09-12-2013, 07:28 AM
I was going to try a self-centering roller., but these tilt rollers look like they will do the job now. However, I haven't tried loading it on the trailer in a decent chop yet, so I will have to wait and see.

It used to be a bit of a comedy, because I couldn't pull the boat far enough onto the trailer, so I'd hook on, run up to the winch, boat would have drifted off rollers, run back down, boat would be sitting sideways on top of the lights crunching away, pull back to rollers, splash back up to winch, boat drifted off rollers.... Etc, etc. Hope I've fixed it now.

Also have replaced the broken taillights and mounted them lower.

Lol, that whole to-ing and fro-ing thing on the ramp has happened to me too, keeps you fit tho!
Cheers

Fed
10-12-2013, 07:27 AM
That's what power winches are for, they let you hold the boat steady & winch it at the same time.