PDA

View Full Version : Easy Rider will ride again....

Shark Poker
20-11-2013, 07:22 PM

The Main Problems are as follows:

1.There is a crack underneath the hull on the Staboard side.
2.The cockpit floor is 'soft' above the area where the hull is cracked underneath.
3.It is very heavy, apparently holding water inside the hull
4.It almost sank on its last trip.

Solemandownunder has given us permission to report the forthcoming repair as well as including the behind the scenes antics.

98052 This is the crack in the Stb side of the hull.

Shark Poker
20-11-2013, 07:26 PM

This is the planning strake on the port side of the hull.
The photo is taken while lying on the ground looking upwards.
It shows there has been another exterior repair in the past here, too. (Strip of fibre glass can be seen in the photo) And painted over.

Shark Poker
20-11-2013, 07:34 PM
On arrival there was water still flowing slowly from the lower bung.

That is interesting considering the boat has just been towed 20 mins across town with both the bungs out and a crack in the hull.

Compressed Air is applied.... and seconds later the flow increases. A bucket positioned on the ground beneath the bung is filled, and replaced with an empty bucket which is soon filled, and replaced.....
10 or 11 buckets later, adding up to over 100 litres, the water stops.

So we have blasted a blockage clear. And confirmed the hull was carrying water. First progress made.

Shark Poker
20-11-2013, 07:53 PM
You could see that the floor had previously been replaced.
This was obvious because you could see reasonably new fibreglass work that had been covered by carpet, not Flowcoat.

Why is a new floor 'soft'? How can that be?
Why is the hull holding all that water?
Why has the hull cracked and how do best repair it?

The answer is to cut out a decent size inspection hole. This commits us to a floor repair or replacement as well as solving the above issues.

PeterKroll
20-11-2013, 07:53 PM
You'll never go thirsty.....

solemandownunder
20-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Paully, thanks for taking the time to post all this up....it sure was a surprise to see what was down there.

Just hope that with YOUR help, others will either be forewarned....OR know what they are up for if this were to happen to THEM.

Thanks, Ray.

solemandownunder
20-11-2013, 07:59 PM

Will NOW Pete....all the water is GONSKIES....thank god ;D

Shark Poker
20-11-2013, 08:01 PM

How do you work that out? What do you drink on that island of yours? :)

Shark Poker
20-11-2013, 08:03 PM
This EasyRider has some other problems as well.

The cabin windows need replacement. The Gunwale Rubber needs replacement as well.
And the boat does not even HAVE a Windscreen.
The Bow Roller is also about to fall off.

Shark Poker
20-11-2013, 08:12 PM
98072This was found under the inspection cut out and carefully removed with two kicks from a work boot!

Untreated pine used as some type of rib (cross beam stiffener) draped with a shroud of fibreglass, which was possible applied by a well aimed throw.
But is has, no surprise, failed to bond to the hull and has been floating around.
Luckily moisture absorption has reduced its potential to rattle and bang underneath.

So a new discovery: A Floating Rib !!

At this point it is decided to remove the "new" floor completely.

PeterKroll
20-11-2013, 08:13 PM
I just thought that, with 100 litres storage available, filled with fresh water, even should the boat sink (which I would not wish on anyone), you would at least be spared the brutal pangs of thirst.

I may have a conceptual problem with the on-going process.

Shark Poker
20-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Peter,
I shall try to sort YOU out, later.

where did you get fresh water input from a cracked hull in the bay and even if it was fresh water how are you going to access it after the hull has sunk?

solemandownunder
20-11-2013, 08:38 PM
I just thought that, with 100 litres storage available, filled with fresh water, even should the boat sink (which I would not wish on anyone), you would at least be spared the brutal pangs of thirst.

I may have a conceptual problem with the on-going process.

Nice thort M8.....but as you will see, I was dragging that lil 100+ lts around WITHOUT my knowledge.

I wondered why she wouldn't shoot out of the hole....NOW I know WHY....

Took about 10-15 seconds with the ar#$ dug in before she would even LOOK like getting over the top, nose down and start planing.

Because I have never owned a boat like this before, I was thinking that this normal...how WRONG I was.

Btw Pete....when she is up & running, I would like to take you out again and show you some more comfort than the deHav was capable of providing.

Cheers, Ray.

Chimo
20-11-2013, 08:46 PM
Floating rib ! I luv it !!!

PeterKroll
20-11-2013, 09:13 PM
That would be great, Ray. I'm not catching anything around here. I thought your other boat was fine, once I had a life jacket to sit on. :-)

timddo
20-11-2013, 09:50 PM
There is nothing that selleys no more gap an't fix.

Greg P
20-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Just curious and no offence intended to either BUT why are you bothering to plow time and money into this rig? It ain't an old Haines that might be worth something if done nicely. Unless you are doing this for cost of material then it would just make better sense to take someone with you next time you buy another bargain boat and put that money into something in better condition? You got stung for $2 large on this one don't spend another $2-3k.

solemandownunder
21-11-2013, 05:09 AM
Just curious and no offence intended to either BUT why are you bothering to plow time and money into this rig? It ain't an old Haines that might be worth something if done nicely. Unless you are doing this for cost of material then it would just make better sense to take someone with you next time you buy another bargain boat and put that money into something in better condition? You got stung for $2 large on this one don't spend another $2-3k.

Thanks for ur input Greg and yes as a matter of fact Paully, with his trusty sidekick, Mr.B, has been kind enough to take this job on at "mates rates".

The rest of the hull and motor as well as trailer are in great shape, so for us, having this repaired correctly would be a relatively affordable way for both Kerri & I to spend overnighters inside the bay.....when she is on holidays.

At this stage, we cannot justify buying a good second hand fully decked out rig, so we are making do with its' smaller cousin. There is a LOT of life in this old gal yet and with the extras that we are getting done at the same time, she will not only be very seaworthy, but look reasonably good on the water as well.

Cheers, Ray.

morphias
21-11-2013, 08:41 AM
What about recourse on the guy you bought it off? Was it a 'take it as it is with any faults apparent or not' deal?

I would have dumped it back in his front yard.

Ben.

Shark Poker
21-11-2013, 09:39 AM
Wow!

The floor is cut out and ….…. I just can’t believe what we found.

What we have here is a classic example of a boat that has suffered from back yard repairs.

So they seem to have added a new “floor support” beside the central stringer and attached with some carefully chosen fasteners similar to thoseused in the roof of an industrial shed.

More Floating Ribs! J I still can’t figure out what they were supposed to help with.

At least they gave up trying to fibreglass, very early, and didn’tbother around the keel area at all. That makes it easier for us to remove everything.

At least it explains why a relatively new floor was feeling soft – only one floor support over a 1.2m width.

There are some old “stringers” running along but they appear to be made of a strip of insulation foam and glassed over.

You can see the old green foam. (which is totally waterlogged)

By the way none of this smells very pleasant!

solemandownunder
21-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Wow!

WELL...to say that I was amazed after what you found after the 1st inspection hole cut would be an UNDERSTATEMENT after considering what we saw this morning :o

WHY would one of the previous owners( I KNOW it was not the peeps I bought the boat from) DO such a shoddy job ::), except for prolly passing it on the the peeps WE bought if from...who, in my opinion had NO clue whatsoever that there was any problem with the floor until I pointed it out on sale.....even THEN, they had NO idea what I was talking about.

I did buy the whole rig, believing that there was something small amiss and believed that it would be an easy fix....but NOW...after seeing that, I can see we are up for some more downtime ::)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................

Ray.

Argle
21-11-2013, 12:05 PM
That would be great, Ray. I'm not catching anything around here. I thought your other boat was fine, once I had a life jacket to sit on. :-)

So it was a DeHavilland Hopoate? Ive heard of that model tinny before! ;)

solemandownunder
21-11-2013, 12:45 PM
So it was a DeHavilland Hopoate? Ive heard of that model tinny before! ;)

Quite droll M8...well done ;D

But back to the issue at hand, we now KNOW what the problem IS at least...I guess that is the thing that you are always looking for...the PROBLEM 1st and then make decisions based on that....

Cheers, Ray.

PeterKroll
21-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Dehavilland Hopoate? I believe you have put your finger on it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jarrah Jack
21-11-2013, 05:53 PM
That shoddy work could've killed someone. While I like aspects of unregulation in the boating industry this should not be allowed to happen or more importantly whoever is responsible should be in serious trouble.

Good luck with the project boys.

Shark Poker
21-11-2013, 06:16 PM
WELL...to say that I was amazed after what you found after the 1st inspection hole cut would be an UNDERSTATEMENT after considering what we saw this morning :o

WHY would one of the previous owners( I KNOW it was not the peeps I bought the boat from) DO such a shoddy job ::), except for prolly passing it on the the peeps WE bought if from...who, in my opinion had NO clue whatsoever that there was any problem with the floor until I pointed it out on sale.....even THEN, they had NO idea what I was talking about.

I did buy the whole rig, believing that there was something small amiss and believed that it would be an easy fix....but NOW...after seeing that, I can see we are up for some more downtime.

"I can see we are up for some more downtime"

What? Because of this ??

This is all too easy, and it will not take long. You'll be back in the water in no time at all.

Shark Poker
21-11-2013, 06:24 PM
The Hull was holding all that water due to blockages caused by fragments of rotted wood and loose fibreglass pieces that had all gotten stuck in the bilge.

These photos show the delicate process of removal.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.png

bay cruiser
21-11-2013, 06:53 PM
I had about 30 litres of water locked in the side pocket of my hull due to water getting into a small hole left when they re-built the transom. The funny thing was that it balanced the boat perfectly given the battery location on the opposite side. I wonder if the 100 litres of water (ie ballast) in this thing actually improved it's performance on the water, and whether things will be not as good with it gone?

solemandownunder
22-11-2013, 01:08 AM
What about recourse on the guy you bought it off? Was it a 'take it as it is with any faults apparent or not' deal?

I would have dumped it back in his front yard.

Ben.

Hey Ben, we bought it knowing it would need work....the poor bloke WE bought it off did $4,500 cash in the end including the seized motor.

I was suspect strait up, when he said the the previous owner had stressed so much to him that he had gone to ALL the trouble to put new marine carpet in for them.;)8-) THAT was when I went looking for soft spots and found the one under the helm.

I am beginning to wonder now if the extra 100+ lts that was being carried around under the floor may have actually helped to seize that old motor.

The lovely couple involved are both rather larger boned people and add their weight to the water under the floor and I would guess around 350+ kgs alone...without esky/gear/ 2 children etc...whoever sold this boat to THEM is DEF the criminal...as Jarrah Jack alludes to.

It is now my opinion, that seizing that motor prolly saved them AND their kids lives....if they were faced with what I was faced with, (AND, it WAS due to happen) I dont believe they would have made it back to port and god only knows how they would have fared being as naive as they were/are. The pdfs' that they bought were just the basic $15 ones and would not have EVER fitted their larger frames + no radio either.

Cheers, Ray.

solemandownunder
22-11-2013, 01:13 AM
That shoddy work could've killed someone. While I like aspects of unregulation in the boating industry this should not be allowed to happen or more importantly whoever is responsible should be in serious trouble.

M8, with what has now come out of this, I intend to make contact with the previous owners and find out just WHO sold them this rig.

Please read my reply to Morphias......

Not quite sure how to approach it all once I have the info, so any ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks, Ray.

Shark Poker
22-11-2013, 03:52 PM
The entire mess is cleaned out and almost ready for the new build to start.

matt fraser
22-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Wow! pretty good clean up! what sort of powertools did you use?

I'm looking forward to watching a 'Pro' at work on a job like this. It took me weeks to cut all my stringers out, and then months to replace them.

Cheers,

Matt

ric
22-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Wow! pretty good clean up! what sort of powertools did you use?

I'm looking forward to watching a 'Pro' at work on a job like this. It took me weeks to cut all my stringers out, and then months to replace them.

Cheers,

Matt
Fat bouy is an exceptional tradesman. i have been in his workshop many times and the work that comes out of there is consistently 'top of the range'

Shark Poker
22-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi Matt,
Apart from a Power Saw, with a particular blade and handling procedure, the main electric tool is the industrial vacuum cleaner.
A lot of guys use 4 inch grinders but I find that tool rather unrefined.
Call by the workshop one day and I will show you our fav tool for this if you like.

Yes this boat is getting close to being ready. We even made and started 'glassing some of the new components so they are ready to install.

Pauly

Tomorrow morning the new floor will be mostly finished. Even have the Boss (Ray) coming in to supervise.

solemandownunder
22-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Paully, how did the F/Glassing go over the structural ply for the stringers and keel ?

Do you think we will be able to glass them in...in the morning ?

solemandownunder
22-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Hi Matt,
Apart from a Power Saw, with a particular blade and handling procedure, the main electric tool is the industrial vacuum cleaner.
A lot of guys use 4 inch grinders but I find that tool rather unrefined.
Call by the workshop one day and I will show you our fav tool for this if you like.

Yes this boat is getting close to being ready. We even made and started 'glassing some of the new components so they are ready to install.

Pauly

Tomorrow morning the new floor will be mostly finished. Even have the Boss (Ray) coming in to supervise.

Thort MrB was the boss ::):P8-)

Shark Poker
22-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Paully, how did the F/Glassing go over the structural ply for the stringers and keel ?

Do you think we will be able to glass them in...in the morning ?

Sounds like somebody wants to know if they can sleep in, hey???
0600hrs, Boss, so you can oversee everything.

ric
22-11-2013, 08:22 PM

Tomorrow morning the new floor will be mostly finished.

this just proves how quickly things can be properly fixed

deckie
22-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Some terrific slick work on display.
Love the pics showing some nice delicate spade and mattock work :D Yeah get stuck in. :D
Great to watch some pro action...keep those pics coming, much appreciated.

Shark Poker
23-11-2013, 12:12 PM
This morning we worked on the new sub floor (stringers) arrangement which is almost complete. Just needs a few touch ups and check first thing tomorrow morning.
The top floor board has been pre coated both sides and is ready to be fibre glassed in place and coated over.

Our 'Boss' was a total slave driver, but overall was not completely dis-satisfied.

solemandownunder
23-11-2013, 01:22 PM
This morning we worked on the new sub floor (stringers) arrangement which is almost complete. Just needs a few touch ups and check first thing tomorrow morning.
The top floor board has been pre coated both sides and is ready to be fibre glassed in place and coated over.

Our 'Boss' was a total slave driver, but overall was not completely dis-satisfied.

Ahem Paully....NOT completely dis-satified...huh:-?

SCUSE ME M8.....but point in fact after the start we had this morning....

I am TOTALLY dis-satisfied with the following......

1: ALL was well organised...including meself as the general dogs body...

2: ALL materials arrived and were on hand to do the job as quick as possible....

3: MrB bent over "backwards" AND urself, I mite add to get everything accomplished in a timely and orderly manner.....

4: I was ONLY needed every "now & then" for some consultation....I am sure it was just to appease me so that I could have an input....

I mean, just WHERE do you get off being so well organised...huh :-?

Being the "boss" def has its' drawbacks when you are T/Aing for an ALREADY competant crew....

solemandownunder
23-11-2013, 01:52 PM
I had about 30 litres of water locked in the side pocket of my hull due to water getting into a small hole left when they re-built the transom. The funny thing was that it balanced the boat perfectly given the battery location on the opposite side. I wonder if the 100 litres of water (ie ballast) in this thing actually improved it's performance on the water, and whether things will be not as good with it gone?

BC, I do NOT believe under ANY circumstances that water should be retained in the hull indefinately...MANY reasons, the MAIN one being the possible cause of problems down the track...and of course the main contender being stringer/keel rot at some point....Please disregard ANY craft that has its' design as a flow through ballast....

If you read my previous/later post on this M8....I couldn't get out of the hole as quick as one would expect, given reasonable HIGH power motor force from a VERY well maintained 70hp Jonno.

As to handling, well THAT is another matter for one day VERY soon.....

At the point in time that she was still on the water, the Easy Rider behaved VERY sluggishly when finally up on the plane....listing easily and "hard" to turn, being the foremost in my mind....

It may have worked for you M8......but I will not accept anything less other than a dry UNDERfloor....even thought about a permanent bilge pump, but after discussions with the relevant people decided against it, mainly because if the job is done CORRECTLY in the FIRST place, then the other would not be necessary....

Thanks for your input, Ray.

wayno60
23-11-2013, 02:17 PM
So where is the crack in the hull compared to where your doing all this stringer work???

Shark Poker
23-11-2013, 04:37 PM
So where is the crack in the hull compared to where your doing all this stringer work???

Hi Wayno,
Post 27, photo number 3 (one boot only) shows the crack in the hull.
This crack is now underneath the new stringer.

Back In Black
23-11-2013, 04:48 PM

Hope SatNav doesn't get involved in this thread!!

Tony

cobiaman
23-11-2013, 04:52 PM

Tony

I do!!!!!!!!!

Muddy Toes
23-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Hope he wears pants if he posts a pic........

Shark Poker
23-11-2013, 07:09 PM

Tony

Actually he might.
Ray has acquired a rather oversize Compass for this vessel.
It's got to be installed near the new gps and swung and everything yet.

Horse
23-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Its amazing how fast a couple of pros can knock over a job like this. It would have take me longer than this just to get all of the materials together. Of course a few cleansing ales would have been consumed in the planning stages and this tends to slow things down a bit

ric
23-11-2013, 10:07 PM

Who's that good lookin' bloke... He might be good at repairing boats, but he bloody can't remember people's names or faces!!!

Shark Poker
24-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Not much fibre glassing today. Mainly just sanding out a few runs and rough spots.
(sanding fibreglass in the sun while sweating is fun, try it some time if you haven't already.)

But the windscreen is finished.
Black anodised heavy duty frames, which are going to look very good along with the new black gunwale rubber.
We also have to make new cabin windows as well.

Jarrah Jack
24-11-2013, 01:06 PM
You realize you're spoiling him Paul. Nice looking screen.

SunnyCoastMark
24-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Good Job Pauly, Can't wait to see the finished job. - Bet the "boss" can't either.

Mark

solemandownunder
24-11-2013, 02:45 PM
Good Job Pauly, Can't wait to see the finished job. - Bet the "boss" can't either.

Mark

Patience is a virtue as the saying goes Mark....:(

"Paully, are we THERE yet....:-?

"Are we THERE yet.....:-?

Are we THERE yet.....:-?

Virtues can go stick themselves up their A$%E......>:(

"Paully...are we THERE yet......:-?

Shark Poker
24-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Just let me make and install the cabin windows.
After that we can take the Easy Rider for a rough water test and sea trial outside Manly Boat Harbour one arvo this week!!

THEN we will inspect the new sub floor.

After that I will install the top floor board. 24hrs later its time for your crab pots and spin rods!

Bring your Sunglasses. And a strap to stop your hat from blowing off!

Gon Fishun
24-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Nice job guy's, but, the crack that was in the hull in the early pics, how did you go about repairing that, or have I missed something along the way.
Cheers.

Shark Poker
24-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Nice job guy's, but, the crack that was in the hull in the early pics, how did you go about repairing that, or have I missed something along the way.
Cheers.

Hello Gon,
The crack is shown in Post number 27, photo 3 (one boot, daylight showing thru the crack in the hull)

The grp/fibreglass layup was barely 3mm thick.
We have added several coats and a complete new stringer to that spot internally. (it has come from 2-3mm to almost 100mm now)
The preparation of the old surfaces is very important.

On the exterior, it will require only a quick sand and touch up.

If it cracks or leaks in that spot after this, I'm hanging up my boots and becoming a therapist for nautical clientele.

Shark Poker
25-11-2013, 06:22 AM
Before the new gunwale rubber is applied, we need to fix a few spots where the hull is separating from the deck.

Shark Poker
27-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Add some rego numbers and we are ready for a water test! :)

The Cabin Windows were finished today and the new Gunwale Rubber is now installed.

Chimo
27-11-2013, 05:25 PM
You do nice quick work Pauly, well done.

JulianDeMarchi
27-11-2013, 07:46 PM

The Cabin Windows were finished today and the new Gunwale Rubber is now installed.

Looks like a new boat now. Congrats!

Rip it up
27-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Fatbouy. What did you use to adhere the new gunnel rubber on with?

I have one to do next week and can't decide if sika will hold strong enough. Or use epoxy and Cabasil.

On a 15ft half cabin.

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.

Horse
27-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Very nice work. Ican't wait to see the finished product. I always like to see the old girls brought back to life like this

Jeremy
27-11-2013, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=solemandownunder;1520914

Not quite sure how to approach it all once I have the info, so any ideas are more than welcome.

[/QUOTE]

Suck a lemon Ray. Buyer beware. It is up to the buyer to do their due diligence and have a boat properly inspected - either by themselves or by someone qualified. Once you have bought it it is your problem and your wallet. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

solemandownunder
28-11-2013, 12:39 AM

WOW mate......you have done an AWESOME job...We are gobsmacked.

Looking SO forward to putting her in the water tomorrow ;D

THANK you, Ray & Kerri.

Shark Poker
28-11-2013, 04:31 AM
Fatbouy. What did you use to adhere the new gunnel rubber on with?

I have one to do next week and can't decide if sika will hold strong enough. Or use epoxy and Cabasil.

On a 15ft half cabin.

Hi Damo,
It should depend upon the exact material that the "rubber" is really made from. This varies between manufacturers and certainly between colours as well.
I agree with you about Sika being the most likely choice. It seems to be the most popular.
I use a high bonding neutral cure silicone. The same one that we use to hold windows onto the boat without any fasteners.

I like summer time for this because the material is so much easier to work with.

(In winter we warm it up in the Perspex oven, but it cools very quickly)

We cut the required amount for Rays boat off the coil and placed it out in the sun for the morning. By midday it was ready.

fandtm666
28-11-2013, 05:22 AM
FatBuoy (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?143566-FatBuoy) i like your new screen , where did you get yours done and how much
did it cost because i will be looking and finally having enough coin to get mine done
in the new year.

Thanks

Rip it up
28-11-2013, 05:24 AM
Thanks fatbouy.

Any chance I can get the name of the brand specific silicon you use?

My last attempt of a gunnel did not adhere well with the sika product I used.

Rip it up
28-11-2013, 05:25 AM

Just a sneak peak at my latest Reno.

Full report when it hits the water.

Shark Poker
28-11-2013, 05:37 AM
FatBuoy (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/member.php?143566-FatBuoy) i like your new screen , where did you get yours done and how much
did it cost because i will be looking and finally having enough coin to get mine done
in the new year.

Thanks

Thanks. Happy to help with that. Making windscreens is one of our everyday services.
Although lately we seem to have a run of orders for bait tank windows!

solemandownunder
28-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Just a sneak peak at my latest Reno.

Full report when it hits the water.

I am SURE I have seen that boat advertised on G/Tree...Ebay....is it the same one ::)

Cheers, Ray.

Rip it up
28-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Not possible to be ours. This is a private rebuild.

solemandownunder
28-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Ok M8, no wuckers....but there is a VERY similar pic on one of those 2 sites.

I will report back laters...the pic I remember is number 2....the one in the middle.

Hard to miss that I think.....maybe someone has lifted ur pics ?

btw...that boat is gunna come up a treat....love the forward cabin section ;D

Cheers, Ray.

robfish 1
28-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Not much fibre glassing today. Mainly just sanding out a few runs and rough spots.
(sanding fibreglass in the sun while sweating is fun, try it some time if you haven't already.)

But the windscreen is finished.
Black anodised heavy duty frames, which are going to look very good along with the new black gunwale rubber.
We also have to make new cabin windows as well.

Damn! Wish I lived closer - to have you 'doctor' my old hull which is in dire need of a floor, stringers and transom!
You've done an awesome job with that old easyrider, and I'm sure solemandownunder will have a blast when he takes her out!
Hope you are proud of your work - you should be.
Robfish.

WalrusLike
28-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Yeah I second that. Really nice seeing it go from 'woe' to 'show'.

Shark Poker
29-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Time for a water test !!
We launched at Manly Harbour, right in front of the Coast Guard. It did not roll over and sink, which we thought was encouraging.

Shark Poker
29-11-2013, 11:03 AM

After running out towards Greens Island and straight into the chop, I was pleased to see no movement under the floor.
I was actually quite happy with how the little half cab handled. It is going to be a very good bay boat.

Shark Poker
29-11-2013, 11:12 AM

And... The EasyRider rides again.

bigbrian47
29-11-2013, 03:58 PM
well done mate
nice quick turnaround for ray too
looks the goods
cheers brian

solemandownunder
29-11-2013, 04:12 PM

And... The EasyRider rides again.

CYA...up up and away ;D

9-11 days start to finish...even WITH my help :o

I am SO over the moon about this I cannot PROPERLY express my thoughts in writing....however, I will give it a go....

Thanks to Paully & MrB, we now have a VERY reliable and well handling boat to work with.

In the beginning, there was no PUNCH out of the hole.....NOW it just wants to leap foreward like a springing Panther. Complete reversal.

She got up & on the plane in approx 3-5 seconds....UNREAL.

The stern USED to dig right in, point the bow towards the sky and then take like a lifetime to level & plane.....if you looked back from the helm to the stern whilst trying to get up on the plane, the TOP of the 70HP Jonno was actually LOWER than the waterline....QUITE scary actually...you had to be there.
NOW....it's 3-5 seconds, trim out and sit on top of the chop without feeling/hearing that dull THUD ( It is more like a "hollow" tap now ).....MAGIC.....the steering also tells the story...she is FAR more easier to turn & hold course now.

Obviously, that 100+ Lts she was carrying was the main problem.....however Paully still used double CD ply fully glassed over and then glassed to the strakes & keel....mainly to keep a little weight for "an even keel" so to speak.

This seems to have worked a treat as there was NO roll whatsoever in our test this morning.....and this is with NO extra weight in the boat...just a bare hull inside basically.

We will put full fitment pics up at the end of this thread....Blaupunkt CD Radio with Lowrance Speakers, 27meg Radio & new aerial, The Saturn Compass, new running lights, 2000 GPH bilge pump and much more, such as all the girlie things like curtains etc...

Once refitted with seats, forward bunks and fishing gear along with eskies & ice.....this will be one VERY stable baby for Kerri to be absolutely confident in being aboard.
I recon she might even consider taking the helm now on those days we will be trolling for macks.

All in all, a MIGHTY effort from someone who treated OUR boat as they would their own....and Paully is still doing a bit of finer point finishing as we speak, BECAUSE.....he is bringing her up to somewhere near a standard that HE would be happy with......we can't show our gratitude enough.....

Thank you Paully, MrB & Sailfish Marine.

Ray & Kerri.

timddo
29-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Rays

Looks like you can now venture across the bay and catch some winter whiting now.

Shark Poker
29-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Rays

Looks like you can now venture across the bay and catch some winter whiting now.

He's on top of that, as well. I just finished fileting 18 that he gave me this arvo. Done tempura style these will be a nice Fri night dinner. The kids 'll love it!

WalrusLike
29-11-2013, 06:25 PM
This has been a real pleasure to read. Rays post clearly shows how delighted he is with the excellent result.

Thank you for sharing.

oldie
29-11-2013, 06:34 PM
great thread thanks

Dutchtech
29-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Congratulations Ray and Kerri, the boat really looks good after the rework. This is true testament to men who know their craft - even the Johno looks good!

solemandownunder
29-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Rays

Thanks Tim...I can now do it in some form of comfort at least...and thanks for all your tips.

Cheers, Ray.

solemandownunder
29-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Congratulations Ray and Kerri, the boat really looks good after the rework. This is true testament to men who know their craft - even the Johno looks good!

Amen Theo, I would NEVER go anywhere else now for ALL my marine needs.....ONE way or another, Paully KNOWS what needs doing and has the wherewithall to get it sorted.

As to the Jonno...Thanks again Theo.....I also hope the previous owner is happy that she went to a good boat.....YOU are a legend M8.

Cheers, Ray.

solemandownunder
29-11-2013, 07:54 PM
4,872 views on this thread at this point....so would seem to be a common situation amongst most trailer boaties.

I sincerely hope: ALL that have read this to take courage that "nothing is impossible".

AND nothing is not able to be rectified.....To a point, I would suppose....

From what I have learnt along the way, I would have NO problem in tackling this very scenario down the track....CONFIDENT that the principles involved could be used in ANY boat with a similar situation.

jus some afterthoughts.....

Ray.

cobiaman
29-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Without trying to sound like SATNAV, is it legal to drive a boat without rego numbers or a rego label???

Shark Poker
29-11-2013, 08:52 PM
No CM, but lets type like him anyway.

1.Rego label was on the old window and a request for replacement had been lodged with Qld Transport.
2.And the old Perspex window panel with the current rego label was on board to verify.
3.The new rego numbers are not ready yet.
4.The boat is clearly in refit stage. No fishing gear or anything on board and only a temporary top floor board fitted.
5.Plus I am on board anyway, (QPS Contractor)
6.We were more concerned about our hats blowing off.

We are in the shed doing a couple things tomorrow morning if you want to come and say g'day.

cobiaman
29-11-2013, 08:54 PM
THAnks foR The OfFEr, iLl be TheRE!

Shark Poker
29-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Don't worry about Satnav, there are a few issues on this vessel that may draw him out to air his concerns.
But lately he has been quiet and I am wondering if Lucky Phill has finally given him the ars#

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow if you have time.

Humdinger
30-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Geez after all that has gone on the last few days on here and you can get away with saying that

matt fraser
30-11-2013, 07:34 AM
Great rebuild, its criminal how quick you guys got it done and back on the water. I can't believe it! One day you are doing stringers and floor, nek minit water testing!

Very impressive, well done

Matt

Blackened
30-11-2013, 09:05 AM
G'day

1. Nice work
2. I hate it when my hat blows off. I suggest a wide brimmed straw hat with a cord

Dave

Zippidy
30-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Before the new gunwale rubber is applied, we need to fix a few spots where the hull is separating from the deck.

How did you fix the hull separating from the deck?

robsue
30-11-2013, 11:36 AM
well congradulations to all concerned, just read all the thread, after Ray mentioned it on Thursday

Paully, hope you get all the extra work you can handle after a thread like this

cheers
Robin

Shark Poker
30-11-2013, 02:35 PM
How did you fix the hull separating from the deck?

Hi Zippidy,

PM sent

Zippidy
02-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi Zippidy,

PM sent

Thanks a lot for that. Tried responding but you can't receive PM's. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Shark Poker
08-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Here is the buoyancy foam that we decided to apply. The 2m x 1m sheets were cut into 50-100mm strips for easy application.

Gazza
08-12-2013, 04:10 PM
fatbouy , did he leave out the bungs or motor is excessively tilted due to swell...or....
p.s. takin' the piss m8 ;) ...nice job