PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the boat while I work on the trailer

robtarr
19-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Well after heading out SPB early last Sat, not getting a touch, current racing, then nearly getting cleaned up by that storm (thanks to MadMackerel for providing lightening protection nearby in his big platey....only joking Perry....good call to head south) I've decided to give up fishing for a bit and finally do a long overdue refit on the boat trailer over the Christmas break......which of course will mean I'll need to find somewhere to park the boat up for a bit.

Any thoughts from those Ausfishers that have been there before are much appreciated - am I better off sourcing another trailer, find a vacant berth, prop it up on tyres somewhere....or are there better options?

cheers Rob

thelump
19-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Don't know what your yard/access is like but for mine I just supported with tyres in my front yard until finished then wound the trailer back under the boat. I have some tyres if you need them.

ozscott
19-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Mate ring Michael from Cooparoo Marine who does all makes. See if he can do a service and also store the boat on his chocks for a week.

Cheers

Shark Poker
19-11-2013, 10:00 AM
East Coast marina rack storage, possibly?

Volvo
19-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Don't know what your yard/access is like but for mine I just supported with tyres in my front yard until finished then wound the trailer back under the boat. I have some tyres if you need them.

Herxactly what i did when i did up my previouse trailer, can take your time and do it up without haste.

trymyluck
19-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Rob, I'm sure there would be enough volunteers on Ausfish to drive your boat around over christmas while you work on the trailer as long as you provide enough fuel bait and ice of course, they might even share any fish they catch...........;D;D;D Would be appreciated of course if you could also coffee as well....;D

Mark

robtarr
19-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Hi Macca - the tyres is certainly an option - thanks for the offer if I go that way I'll send you a PM on how best to manage not having done it before

Thanks ozscott - Cooparoo Marine is worth a call - trailer will need a new electric brake install and might do a deal

Thanks Fatbuoy - will check what their storage rack rates are if it's a viable option dollar wise

Yeah Mark.....that's a great idea......can't think why it didn't come to mind first ::).....one of the main drivers to sorting the trailer issues is so I can catch up with you guys at the M&G's :D

Cheers guys can always count on Ausfish for a constructive response

Rob

damien9956
20-11-2013, 04:48 PM
I made up a couple of stands when I redid my trailer earlier this year cost about $60.00 in steel , no probs holding up a 5.4 m boat 98044

hookinin
20-11-2013, 07:04 PM
When I overhauled mine a mate with a crane truck lifted the boat with a couple of slings. The tailer was driven out and the boat put down on tyres. When I finish we lifted the boat up drove the trailer under and put it back down. Easy as.
Gaven

Lucky_Phill
20-11-2013, 07:38 PM
I was driving past some rural property near my place and saw a boat sitting in a very small dam. Later in the year, I needed to work on my trailer, so I approached the property owner and asked if I could plonk my boat in his dam for a few days. All sweet, with a bottle of bubbly and a bottle of Jimmy for his trouble. BTW, dam was about 20 mtrs by 15mtrs.

cheers Phill

captain rednut
20-11-2013, 07:41 PM
you can hire big boat trailers on the north side of Brisbane

trymyluck
20-11-2013, 07:44 PM
I was driving past some rural property near my place and saw a boat sitting in a very small dam. Later in the year, I needed to work on my trailer, so I approached the property owner and asked if I could plonk my boat in his dam for a few days. All sweet, with a bottle of bubbly and a bottle of Jimmy for his trouble. BTW, dam was about 20 mtrs by 15mtrs.

cheers Phill

Done that before but the ducks get a bit upset....Nice looking out the window though.....

liltuffy
20-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Rob, since I'm in a good mood tonight, we have 2.5 acres and some old tyres. My rig is a 5.8 glass unit and have slid the boat off the trailer on to the tyres quite a few times. This gives you ample opportunity to do whatever you like to the trailer over whatever time is required. Only trouble for you is I'm on the other side of town. PM if you to discuss further, btw I'm often in a good mood.

Cheers, Craig

Muddy Toes
20-11-2013, 09:06 PM
1. Arrange a date
2. Call for volunteers
3.Tie boat up to pontoon at Redland Bay
4.Work on trailer in carpark
5. Water the volunteers throughout the day
6. Cook off at my place after

M&G!!!!!!!!

solemandownunder
21-11-2013, 05:47 AM
1. Arrange a date
2. Call for volunteers

M&G!!!!!!!!

Not a bad idea IF the job can be completed in 10 mins :-?

If I remember correctly, there is a time frame on the use of the pontoon...or maybe not ::)

sharkymark2
21-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Can just imagine the neighbours driving past and seeing 1 boat in the dam and then 2 boats in the dam. "Must be a good spot dear!"

thelump
21-11-2013, 07:39 AM

If I remember correctly, there is a time frame on the use of the pontoon...or maybe not ::)

20 minutes on the front side of it. You can go around the side facing the carpark for as long as you like.

thelump
21-11-2013, 07:42 AM
1. Arrange a date
2. Call for volunteers

M&G!!!!!!!!

Now that's a good idea. By water you do mean beer? Right?

Muddy Toes
21-11-2013, 08:38 AM

Not a bad post IF I was talking about the public pontoon and not the Pelican Slipways pontoon.:-?::)

solemandownunder
21-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Not a bad post IF I was talking about the public pontoon and not the Pelican Slipways pontoon.:-?::)

You really SHOULD make urself a little more clearer in future Mud....hmmmmm, clear as mud :P :laugh::laugh:

robtarr
21-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Rob, since I'm in a good mood tonight, we have 2.5 acres and some old tyres. My rig is a 5.8 glass unit and have slid the boat off the trailer on to the tyres quite a few times. This gives you ample opportunity to do whatever you like to the trailer over whatever time is required. Only trouble for you is I'm on the other side of town. PM if you to discuss further, btw I'm often in a good mood.

Cheers, Craig

Thanks Craig that sounds like a plan. I'll follow up with the PM before your mood changes

Cheers rob

robtarr
21-11-2013, 05:22 PM
1. Arrange a date
2. Call for volunteers

M&G!!!!!!!!

Valid suggestion Anthony but the SOW is a bit outside the time limit available even with a group effort.....why don't we just skip steps 3 through 5 instead and call it for a piss up which sounds like you're intent anyway

Cheers Rob

Maddac
24-11-2013, 07:53 PM
have you sorted something out? I have an empty pontoon at Hawthorne if you want to use it. But limit it to a week please. pm me

solemandownunder
25-11-2013, 03:57 AM
have you sorted something out? I have an empty pontoon at Hawthorne if you want to use it. But limit it to a week please. pm me

I would not be at all surprised if ur inbox fills up quicker than a boat sinking with no flotation ;D

Without sounding presumptuous..I have a trailer that needs a new roller, but will need to cut the old supports off first and add new supports & said roller....maybe 2 hr job....I have a 2.5KV Inverter in my van, so no probs with 240V power.

Would that be a possibility ?

Thanks, Ray.

Apollo
25-11-2013, 09:20 AM

cheers Phill

Rob

I have a dam you can use if you want to take up this option. Take as long as you like.

Steve

Apollo
25-11-2013, 09:28 AM
One more thought Rob. If you repairs are going to take a few days, then drop the boat in at TCB and we will take it out for the necessary number of days and you can take the trailer back to my place and work on it all you like.

Us country folk are real hospitable like that.

TRCG