PDA

View Full Version : fitting hydraulic steering

adaml1754
18-11-2013, 07:04 PM
hey guys,

I have a bit of a problem, I recently collected a hydraulic steering kit. its 2nd hand came with 2 rams with extension bars and 1 helm. The rams are marcon branded and the helm is hydrive. I tried to fit the first ram to the side of the motor and it only managed to go on 1 or 2 turns before binding up. So I tried the second ram and it didn't want to screw on at all. seemed to be a slightly smaller thread on that ram. they are the one sided ram with the bar through the tilt tube

The guy I got the steering off couldn't tell me much about it, but I got it for nothing so I cant complain.

my motor is an evinrude vro 140 and I've cleaned the dirty thread on the tilt tube and tried again but with no luck (the thread doesn't look overly damaged), I haven't forced them on as I didn't want to break or ruin anything.

Are all tilt tubes the same thread/size and could this kit be off a different motor and not be compatible?
Can I get another ram cheap to suit my motor?

Cheers Adam

captain rednut
18-11-2013, 09:11 PM
hi Adam
yes all tilt tubes on outboards are the same threads and it sounds to me like your tilt tube thread maybe a bit worse for wear?? does it look tidy and clean or a little rusty?? either way you need to find a old steering cable which you can cut the cable and get the hex nut off to use in to help tidy up your thread and make sure you lubricate the thread when working the nut.(much like using a die to repair a thread)
cheers jim

ric
19-11-2013, 08:04 AM
I always thought that nut was meant to be tight the whole way.

adaml1754
19-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Yeah the tube is a bit rusty I cleaned it with a wire brush and put a bit of anti seize on it before trying to wind it in. What thread would it be? I don't have an old ssteering nut I'll buy one at the bolt shop

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

adaml1754
22-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys it ended up being 7/8 unf and its all together now :)