PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new (old) EasyRider

solemandownunder
18-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Wile I was on "holidays" from the forum....Saw an add and couldn't resist it...Half Cab Easy Rider on Perfect tilt trailer with seized 70hp Jonno motor....$2,000.

Felt soft floor above the helm...so thought "stringers down the track"....transom was fine.

Motor buggered , so bought another on Ebay....Reconed 12 years ago, 3 hours since recon....you beauty....

Took her out with Kerri....bit of water in the bilge on return to the ramp...no biggie....

Took it out the NEXT day, returned to the ramp with water around my ankles....bilge pump failed.

I was surprised I could actually get the damn thing up on the trailer, she was that heavy.

Unscrewed both bungs to let her drain out.....and then noticed a split along the starboard strake, about 4 foot long.

By the time I got home, it was still leaking out of the stake split, but NOT out of the lower bung....

Any ideas.....

Thanks, Ray.

ifishcq1
18-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Ray
depending where the drain hole in each compartment is situated whether or not it will run out the back
if it isn't right at the low point or it could be clogged or they might not have put holes through all the sections walls or could even have a blockage inside the bung hole (that sounds nasty)
you could tilt the boat till the strake is the lowest point and drill a hole through the crack to let the last of the water out since you will need to patch the crack anyway might have to cut a hole in the deck to view the inside

cheers

burleygu
18-11-2013, 08:19 PM
####ed stringers now you have a split in the hull, Solution full rebuild

Giffo65
18-11-2013, 08:26 PM
A garden ornament maybe !

Horse
18-11-2013, 09:47 PM
It would look good with a few roses growing in it

FisHard
18-11-2013, 10:20 PM
I will chip in $10. Anyone else???

solemandownunder
19-11-2013, 04:51 AM
Ray
depending where the drain hole in each compartment is situated whether or not it will run out the back
if it isn't right at the low point or it could be clogged or they might not have put holes through all the sections walls or could even have a blockage inside the bung hole (that sounds nasty)
you could tilt the boat till the strake is the lowest point and drill a hole through the crack to let the last of the water out since you will need to patch the crack anyway might have to cut a hole in the deck to view the inside

cheers

Thanks M8.....I was sort of thinking along the same line...blockage SOMEWHERE...but just where is the million dollar question at the mo.

The only experience I have ever had with F/G was doing a F/G over bondwood on a 12ft dingy when I was 15....Loooong time ago and of course a lot different to what we have here now.

I opened this thread so as not to be seen hijacking a similar thread and I guess no one will really know until we can see inside...cut an inspection hole...as you say.

Thanks for your comments.....sorta confirms some suspicions.

Cheers, Ray.

solemandownunder
19-11-2013, 04:53 AM
A garden ornament maybe !

Giffo & Horse....already got one as you know ;D, must post up the now flowering garden pics soon.

Cheers, Ray.

solemandownunder
19-11-2013, 04:55 AM

Thanks fer the thort M8 ;) but she was cheap enough to cover the work when it was needed....just didnt expect it this soon :(

Thanks, Ray.

solemandownunder
19-11-2013, 04:58 AM
####ed stringers now you have a split in the hull, Solution full rebuild

You may VERY well be on the money there burley...but as this is out of my home handyman reach, I may need to engage some help in doing this one.

Recommendations anyone......::)

Thanks, Ray.

solemandownunder
19-11-2013, 05:45 AM
I might also mention that I never DID use the 70hp Jonno I bought to replace the siezed motor that was on the boat.

Simply put, Theo (Dutchtec) so VERY kindly gave me his 70hp off Gypsy3 that he bought recently, in return for some work on his trailer down the track.
As it turned out, he had a new motor fitted with Electric Trim & tilt that the older Jonno did not have when he bought Gypsy3.

The generosity of some people never ceases to amaze me...a BIG thanks again Theo & Belinda.

Cheers, Ray & Kerri.

cobiaman
19-11-2013, 07:12 AM

Yeah, im in for 10

FisHard
19-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Yeah, im in for 10

I feel better already.

FNQCairns
19-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Nothing to be done until you rip at it and have a look...if split forget about inspection holes....get busy with it right from the start and cut full access, your going to need to do this anyway unless you write it off.

Reads like you probably have more than enough fibreglass experience already...it's pretty easy to do.

Jarrah Jack
19-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Thats what you get for going on enforced " holidays"....

Cobe's and Mud's got each other. You're way in front.

Shark Poker
19-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Thats what you get for going on enforced " holidays".....

He's right, you know, Ray.
If you had been reading or discussing pre purchase inspections here on the forum and not off being "banned" this would not have happened most likely.

hainsofast
19-11-2013, 10:40 AM
You may VERY well be on the money there burley...but as this is out of my home handyman reach, I may need to engage some help in doing this one.

Recommendations anyone......::)

Thanks, Ray. arnolds fibreglass hemmant

Greg P
19-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Unless you are going to repair it yourself you may need a trip to the dump with that hull. Repairs wont be cheap.

Jarrah Jack
19-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Unless you are going to repair it yourself you made need a trip to the dump with that hull. Repairs wont be cheap.

Send it to Mod5

solemandownunder
19-11-2013, 11:40 AM
Yeah, im in for 10

10 what :-?...seconds of attention span ::) P&^s off cobia baby :P;D

solemandownunder
19-11-2013, 11:46 AM
He's right, you know, Ray.
If you had been reading or discussing pre purchase inspections here on the forum and not off being "banned" this would not have happened most likely.

Cant argue with THAT fatman....you interested in having a look ::)

Cheers, Ray.

solemandownunder
19-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Unless you are going to repair it yourself you may need a trip to the dump with that hull. Repairs wont be cheap.

Ok...any ideas...ball park on cost :-?

cobiaman
19-11-2013, 12:53 PM
10 what :-?...seconds of attention span ::) P&^s off cobia baby :P;D

Just trying to help WITH the WHIParounD....:) ;)
:D

hainsofast
19-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Ok...any ideas...ball park on cost :-?
I bought an older haines that needed transom, stringers, front bulkhead and floor done, Got it done at Arnolds, cost around $6K, he did an awesome job however, hull is tough as now.

lbger
19-11-2013, 03:56 PM
My old novacraft was a tafe project before i bought it.. new stringers and transom, the thing is as solid as a rock now (weighs about the same too lol) Ask tafe if they want a project boat maybe??

Shark Poker
19-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Cant argue with THAT fatman....you interested in having a look ::)

Cheers, Ray.

PM sent, Ray

solemandownunder
19-11-2013, 06:31 PM
I bought an older haines that needed transom, stringers, front bulkhead and floor done, Got it done at Arnolds, cost around $6K, he did an awesome job however, hull is tough as now.

Ooooook...not what I was expecting...BUT I am fairly confident that the transom is fine...front bulkhead, yep another matter after inspection I would guess....hope the keel is still intact ::)

Thanks, Ray.

solemandownunder
19-11-2013, 06:36 PM
My old novacraft was a tafe project before i bought it.. new stringers and transom, the thing is as solid as a rock now (weighs about the same too lol) Ask tafe if they want a project boat maybe??

Now THAT is something I have never thought about before....but VERY strange that you mention it.

At this point in time I am playing with some ideas to educate apprentice/trainee mechanics on the basic overall operation of transponders/car computers and what is involved diagnostic wise at a local TAFE.....mite ask the local bloke about this very matter.

Thanks for that, Ray.

hainsofast
19-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Ooooook...not what I was expecting...BUT I am fairly confident that the transom is fine...front bulkhead, yep another matter after inspection I would guess....hope the keel is still intact ::)

Thanks, Ray.. Yeah I was shocked too but worth the piece of mind my hull was still intact Arnold does a great job my boat is strong as now

ric
19-11-2013, 09:54 PM
you need to put up some pics of the 'patch up' 4x2 you found under there.

Muddy Toes
20-11-2013, 12:07 AM
I reckon you and Cobiaman should repair it together.............

Kind of like a team bonding exercise......or was that a team bondy exercise?

Actually now I want to see you three in the boat together!!!

Horse
20-11-2013, 04:54 AM
I reckon you and Cobiaman should repair it together.............

Kind of like a team bonding exercise......or was that a team bondy exercise?

Actually now I want to see you three in the boat together!!!

Before or after the repair??? That's a fine gesture Anthony. You must be a little concerned that the little orphan Hobbit would jump ship and you would be short one "Deckie to the Stars"

cobiaman
20-11-2013, 07:22 AM
I'd be more than happy to come and help fix it up, as long as ray promises to wear a shirt....

solemandownunder
20-11-2013, 08:33 AM
I'd be more than happy to come and help fix it up, as long as ray promises to wear a shirt....

OK...I will make that ONE concession......NO more but :P;D

solemandownunder
20-11-2013, 10:30 AM
you need to put up some pics of the 'patch up' 4x2 you found under there.

Yep, gunna start posting 2nite.......btw M8, your inbox is full....trying to send you a message.

Cheers, Ray.

Jarrah Jack
20-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Kind of like a team bonding exercise......!

More like a kiss and make up.....

solemandownunder
20-11-2013, 10:57 AM
More like a kiss and make up.....

Unless CM is a SHE.....aint NO way Man >:(8-)

Mite be fine.....that sorta stuff 'tween CM & MT, but NOT on MY shores.....No "Breakback Moutain" HERE, I can assure you....

If CM continues to give me the S%#^s....then I will still be looking fer shark bait :P8-);D

Point in fact....CM, you are ALWAYS welcome to come up and say hello.....maybe take you out.....in the BOAT, I mean :D

Greg P
20-11-2013, 11:11 AM
OK...I will make that ONE concession......NO more but :P;D

Hopefully not just a shirt though hey :o:o;D

cobiaman
20-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Unless CM is a SHE.....aint NO way Man >:(8-)

Mite be fine.....that sorta stuff 'tween CM & MT, but NOT on MY shores.....No "Breakback Moutain" HERE, I can assure you....

If CM continues to give me the S%#^s....then I will still be looking fer shark bait :P8-);D

Point in fact....CM, you are ALWAYS welcome to come up and say hello.....maybe take you out.....in the BOAT, I mean :D

Only if you start wearing pants as well....

thelump
20-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Ray and Graeme siting in a tree..........

cobiaman
20-11-2013, 03:28 PM

Now now macca, do i need to put a certain photo of you up here????

solemandownunder
20-11-2013, 04:16 PM

That will be QUITE enough of that sorta thing Macca.....you know VERY well that I dont have a tree :P>:(

Getting back on track, CM, you can take ur tools over to Fatbuoys' shed (Sailfish Marine) whenever you are ready....for the Easy Rider now resides there for the time being.

All piccies including the previously patched up/aborted attempt at hiding the problem via the strake will be shown.

I am now reliably informed by Paully that we can save her.

Cheers, Ray.