PDA

View Full Version : Pod for small tinnie - design

PeterKroll
16-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Further to my projected project, I have come across what I think is a reasonable compromise for pods for my boat. The one that I like is the file called 'Pods-design'. It is a good compromise between a step and a full pod, I think.

The place where I will have mine is in the photo where the red colour block is. That should be supported without extra bracing. (I have included a photo of the internal bracing of the boat as well).

Looks like I will have to lose the hydrofoil as well. The photo shows how it would be a problem with the pods, especially when trying to lift the motor.

I'd be interested in any comments. Is this a mad thing to be doing? I mean, I really like my little boat, I'd just like it to be more stable and a bit higher at the back. I don't need anything bigger really.

Shark Poker
17-11-2013, 04:44 AM
Sacrilege comes to mind, Peter.

The Stacers from the 1980's / early 90's were fairly narrow.
Increasing the length but not the beam may not help with stability at all.

Get a couple of square buckets such as kitchen bins and attach them to the transom with G clamps.
A quick test at the boat ramp, That should give you an immediate indication.

Chimo
17-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Peter

Looks good BUT there are several issues to be addressed IMHO

1 The bottom of the pod / step must be about 3 to 5 mm above the bottom of the hull where you attach it to the transom.
2 The bottom of the pod / step at its furtherest point away from the transom needs to be around 30 to 40 mm above the bottom of the hull. Run a straight edge along the hull and back to make sure
3 Shape the inner edge of the step near its rear / back so that you get motor clearance. My motor tilts up between the pods with the foil on. Maybe you could also reduce the width of the pod / step to a size somewhat less wide than you current step as shown in you pic?

My foil that is wider than yours, fits under my pod when the motor is down and in operation. Given the benefit I get and supspect you too do there is no way I would take a foil off a tinny motor.
Perhaps this may be a case where a little smaller and modified shape may be superior!

Cheers
Chimo

tunaticer
17-11-2013, 06:50 AM
I would be looking for an upgrade in boat to something a bit wider.
Adding those pods will give you maybe 30% at best of what you are wanting and it will cost substantially.
There are 2nd hand boats out there that are more stable and more free board that will be about the same price as the pods project plus the sale of your tinny.

Chimo
17-11-2013, 06:55 AM
FB

IME much of the increased comfort and stability during the operation of the earlier narrower (more better boat design) tinnys came for the addition of foils. The ones I have had with foils were able to be turned at speed without feeling that when you started a turn by moving the tiller you were not just going to change direction but that you were going to roll the boat. Adding the pods to my 10 footer so that the hull length is more like a 12 footer has further improved the turning stability and the extra bouyant footprint has also improved the stability at rest. I am able to comfortably stand on either of the pods and the boat remains upright and stable. It seems to me to have been a worthwhile addition.

Peter can check out my 10 footer nee 12 footer before proceeding too if desired and your on the GC