PDA

View Full Version : Inox

Volvo
09-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Once upon a time ago:-*, just about every Outboard Mech had a spray bottle of Inox hanging out of their back pocket and would give the outboard an ample spray of this product and the outboard would look as if it had been brought back to life, all nice n shiney etc.
I for one would purchase it by the four litre and as soon as i came back from a fishing trip or whenever i decided to give me old faithfull a run i would spray it down with Inox and wipe it all over with a clean cloth and make it look all nice n shiney..
And never had any probs with my old faithfull from using it. kept corrosion at bay and never had a prob with it damaging any wiring etc.
Recently it has been brought to my attention it is no longer wise to use this product for fear of it damaging electrical wiring etc !!, which was news to me but heads up with the advice and plan to discard it from my shed.
Tis said that lanotech / lanolin oil should be used in its place and supposed ta be a better product???...
Anyone had probs with this product????Thought please...

Spaniard_King
09-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Yeh Prolonged use makes the insulation go hard and brittle

tunaticer
09-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Inox also swells silicone rubber seals......

Shark Poker
09-11-2013, 06:58 PM
What do you currently use in its place?

Volvo
09-11-2013, 07:15 PM
What use can i put the 2 ltrs i have left lol...Any good mixed with something else , maybe around the trailer for rust prevention?? or just dump the stuff!!!???...

Floating Rib
09-11-2013, 07:32 PM
I use it on the underbody of my 4x4 to help keep the rust at bay from beach use, i reapply after each weekend/week of beach use, seems ok for that. Use a bit on the boat trailer as well although a fair bit of info against using stuff like this on Gal trailers.

Volvo
09-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Reckon the manufacturers of the stuff should remove some of the pics n info off the containers of what the stuff is supposed to be good for ey..

PeterKroll
09-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Bugger! Any suggestions for a replacement?

Mister
09-11-2013, 10:09 PM
What a nasty stuff! And that stuff as well!

Nslfishing
10-11-2013, 01:00 AM
I use lanox. Seems okay to me, correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers Nic

Blackened
10-11-2013, 05:18 AM
G'day

I really like the corrosion guard by quicksilver (mercury). It leaves a slightly tacky clearcoat at first that kind of hardens, leaving a non tacky clearcoat. Safe for and designed for powerheads etc.

Dave

SHOOTER1
10-11-2013, 07:39 AM
A product by CRC called soft seal. When I lived in weipa the pro fishermen would pop the cowl of a new motor give it thourough spray then when the motor was flogged out and ready for resale clean it with degreaser and she looked nearly new. I use lanoline gp spray it is nonconductive doesn, t affect rubber seals and is great anticorrosion properties. It can be a bit of a dust magnet but.

manta man
10-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Hey Volvo i use a product called Aquablock made by Chemsearch they make some very good products. But they are quite expensive. As for the Lanolin products i use them on my Boat Trailer and also the Chassis of the Car, another very good product.

Steeler
10-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Bugger! Any suggestions for a replacement?

( L ) Lanox under the hood. Same manufacturer as Inox ( Candan Ind )

Warrior620
10-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Lanox dries tacky there for salt sticks to it

Triple
10-11-2013, 10:51 AM
http://www.ppc.au.com/access_lanox2d.htm

Old man has used Inox on his 1998 outboard and trailer since new with no ill effects, the manufacturer warns inox "may" affect natural rubber but I don't know how much natural rubber is still used in outboard plumbing? I've heard the same regarding wiring insulation going hard but after a number of years it goes hard anyway so may just be age to blame not the inox.

I will take it off your hands free of charge if you are going to dump it.. save you paying disposal fees ;)

PeterKroll
10-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Any one tried Liquid Lanolin by Lanotech (Super Cheap). I use it on my island pushbike. No significant rust, sand doesn't stick to the chain, lubrication seems pretty good (no squeaks or lockups). Might be worth a shot.

Shark Poker
10-11-2013, 06:44 PM
I have been using Lanolin grease as a corrosion preventative (and general grease) and are very happy with it.
Have also shown I to at least one ally boat manufacturer who have been using it for several tears successfully.

But we are not spraying outboards.
Still very interested in other suggestions please.
Pauly

Volvo
13-11-2013, 01:38 PM
http://www.ppc.au.com/access_lanox2d.htm

Old man has used Inox on his 1998 outboard and trailer since new with no ill effects, the manufacturer warns inox "may" affect natural rubber but I don't know how much natural rubber is still used in outboard plumbing? I've heard the same regarding wiring insulation going hard but after a number of years it goes hard anyway so may just be age to blame not the inox.

I will take it off your hands free of charge if you are going to dump it.. save you paying disposal fees ;)

Lol, appreciate your kindness and will PM you if ever i'm hard up for a $$ or two lol..

Cheech
13-11-2013, 01:48 PM
What do you use Garry? I have found lanox sticky and been using inox, but happy to change.

I mostly use inox for spraying my reels after rinsing.

Jarrah Jack
13-11-2013, 02:21 PM
I mostly use inox for spraying my reels after rinsing.

Have you tried using it to keep the walls of water away. The top of the bimini might be a good place to start with you.

Meterplus
15-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Anyone tried Helmar H4000 Silicone Spray.