PDA

View Full Version : Buying 2011 etec 115 hp question

keen_angler
08-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Just wanting opinions on a 2011 etec 115 hp that has done 40 hrs but has already had the thermostat replaced as the original crapped it self and the etecs overheating alarms where going off and the dealer advised that it was the thermostat that was the issue, should I be worried what other checks can be done?

Thanks

TopBhoy
08-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Ask for a warranty....12 months?

Chimo
08-11-2013, 07:04 PM
Keen Angler

Why don't you get a computer print out done by a Bombardier Marine technician.

That should answer all your questions. Thermostat is not a major item and the alarms are supposed to go off and protect the motor.

One of my 115HP carby OMCs had overheat issues and alarms that also reduced the revs to idle until I sorted out the issue and that was hundreds of hours ago and both the motors are now running so well they must be getting close to run in by now or maybe its the good marine tech who services them:P

Don't toss the baby out with the bathwater, mind you make sure you keep all water out of the fuel and thats the case with all injected motors be they 2 or 4 strokes.

I guess smarter mechanics will also answer you question for you so read on

Cheers
Chimo

Spaniard_King
08-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Overheating could be eluding to an injector or 2 leaning out?

solemandownunder
08-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Just wanting opinions on a 2011 etec 115 hp that has done 40 hrs but has already had the thermostat replaced as the original crapped it self and the etecs overheating alarms where going off and the dealer advised that it was the thermostat that was the issue, should I be worried what other checks can be done?

Thanks

KA, it would help if you put your location in your profile....helps us for pointing you in a right direction for recommendations...

The alarms picked up the faulty thermo..and things like that is what they are designed to DO...It's been fixed, I would have no probs buying it....subject to all else being satisfactory.

and as Chimo says...BIG time...keep fuel clean...NO water.....oh & make sure you have a good mechanic who KNOWS what he is doing on etecs.

Cheers, Ray.

cormorant
08-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Ask what boat it was on and what oil . If it was jacked up on a bass boat I would be a little wary as they run em so high and at max revs they don't always get enough water.

The full print out should show how many times it happened, what temp was reached and any other events for that motor. Compression check and borescope to prove it hasn't run lean to do damage? why has the dealer got that motor? Someone upgrade or...... as they couldn't find the issue? Just odd that he seemed somehow obliged to even tell you that.

Is he offering factory warranty as most were sold with 3 or up to 5 years. ?

stinky-stabi
10-11-2013, 10:38 PM
the emm is cooled by water running through the back of it... do your home work mate..before handing over your hard earned coin

keen_angler
11-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks guys