View Full Version : GME EPIRB SAFETY ALERT - microprocessor failures

ozscott
07-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Please see

http://www.gme.net.au/public/pdf/brochures/epirb%20safety%20alert.pdf

Cheers

WalrusLike
07-11-2013, 06:18 AM
Thanks for that. I only test it rarely. I will do so more often now.

ozscott
07-11-2013, 07:36 AM
I have a GPS one in that date range. My concern is that there is a recognized problem causing failure and testing is only to pick up problems before relying on it. Trouble is you could check it before going out and it could fail an hour later....I dont trust mine now. Im going to write to them asking for a replacement with one with the new component or to have mine serviced and offending component replaced. Happy to pay pro rata.

Cheers

cormorant
07-11-2013, 08:37 AM
1. I don't understand why that isn't a recall
2. It is prescribed essential safety equipment with no back up
3. good luck claiming if you die cause it doesn't work
4. hmmmmm this format is fun
5. seriously did they mail you out a letter via your registration details????????
6. Need top check our 2nd one as I think it is also in date range
7. Please lets us know what response you get from GME and if not fair trading. Thanks I didn't know about it and both Bias , whitworths etc all should have signs up in their shops to make people aware

Crunchy
07-11-2013, 08:59 AM
8. I always wondered if GME epirbs were as shoddy as their VHF's; so I have always been very wary so I test regularly.
9. Your right, it is fun - I'm starting to warm to the bullet point thread style, maybe SatNav was onto something all along?

snapperbasher
07-11-2013, 09:11 AM
1. Gives more credit to keeping your out of date EPIRB onboard 'just in case'....:-)

ozscott
07-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Got the info from Redlands Boat Club. A recall would be very costly (I would like to see one) hence the half way measure I guess.

Cheers

ozscott
07-11-2013, 09:59 AM
8. I always wondered if GME epirbs were as shoddy as their VHF's; so I have always been very wary so I test regularly.
9. Your right, it is fun - I'm starting to warm to the bullet point thread style, maybe SatNav was onto something all along?

Yes, I chose ICOM over GME for the radio. I like that mine is not a float free jobbie (at risk of being trapped under an overturned boat...) but IS water activated. I carry it i a floating grab bag that would hopefully be thrown clear in a capsize event and I can quickly grab it in other events. McMurdo for example do not, as far as I can tell, have one with a GPS that does this.

Cheers

fishing111
07-11-2013, 10:07 AM
There should be a total recall in my opinion at NO COST to the purchaser. My unit beeps when i take it out of the bracket without even pushing the test function. I told GME about it years ago and they replaced it ,but this unit is doing it also, and was told to not worry about it.

I wonder how long GME have been sitting on this information?

To me common sense would dictate that every unit would be tested on the production line before being shipped to dealer to be sold.

So to my way of thinking, quite obviously this is a random problem which can occur at any time, as the units worked when tested at the factory.

So who's to say the unit can't fail straight after it has been tested, especially since GME have acknowledged a known problem?

GME should replace all affected under warranty !!

Moonlighter
07-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Mine is due for a battey replacement in the not too distant future. Checked with GME and cost of that is $150 plus freight.

Cost of a new MT406g with built in GPS and 6 year warranty and free battery replacement at 6 year age is $340 or thereabouts. Might go that way. Also found another brand with GPS Inbuilt for $299 plus $15 delivery.

chris69
07-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Just sent a email to AMSA and asked it they no about it and why no email to alert every one about it,so we will see what the they say.

LittleSkipper
07-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Why is the term "microprocessor failure" being used when GME make no mention of the term "microprocessor failure" in there notice to consumers?

Does a certain someone know something we don't?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

fishing111
07-11-2013, 06:14 PM
INVESTIGATION
Subsequent testing and investigation in the company’s Sydney engineering laboratory, identified a microprocessor
malfunction that effectively shuts the beacon down, hence the self test failure.
Detailed analysis has shown that the failures have occurred in EPIRBs manufactured in the 2005 – 2010 period; to
date the overall failure rate remains low, never the less as a responsible supplier of safety at sea equipment, Standard
Communications Pty Ltd has in consultation with National Maritime Authorities voluntarily elected to publish this
precautionary safety alert.

Failure or malfunction both = bad news potentially.

honda900
07-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Failure or malfunction both = could potentially kill you and your crew relying on this device.

needs a mandatory recall..

Regards
Honda.

chris69
08-11-2013, 11:13 AM
hi all got a reply from the AMSA

Hi Chris,

Thank-you for advising us on the GME Safety Alert. Yes, GME have notified AMSA and we have published the details on our website as an additional method of communicating the Safety Alert, http://nationalsystem.amsa.gov.au/latest_news.php The safety alert is being managed by GME and they issued the Media Release on Monday 4th November. They are using several media channels to release the Safety Alert.

The safety alert is not considered a recall. GME have identified a small percentage in which the self-test has failed. Beacon owners are encouraged and reminded to follow their self-test procedure as per the instructions in their user manual and if it fails to contact GME.

If you require further assistance with your GME beacon please contact GME;

Email: mtfail@gme.net.au

Ph: 02 8867 6000

Regards,

Linda Berryman

AUSTRALIAN 406 MHZ/MMSI DATABASE MANAGER

PLANNING & BUSINESS SUPPORT

EMERGENCY RESPONSE DIVISION

82 Northbourne Avenue, Braddon ACT 2612

GPO BOX 2181, Canberra ACT 2601

p
+61 2 6279 5041 or 1800 406 406

f
+61 2 9332 6323 or 1800 406 329

e
linda.berryman@amsa.gov.au

w
www.amsa.gov.au

DON'T RISK GOING WITHOUT A 406
Distress Beacon Information & Advice
e ausbeacon@amsa.gov.au
w www.amsa.gov.au/beacons

Online Beacon Registration
w www.beacons.amsa.gov.au

MMSI & VHF-DSC Information
w www.amsa.gov.au/mmsi

dummy image

dummy image

dummy image

dummy image

PPlease consider the environment before printing this email

Sent: Friday, 8 November 2013 8:26 AM
To: Berryman, Linda
Cc: Wills, Jonathan
Subject: Fw: AMSA website contact us form SEC=Personal

Classification: Personal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: AMSA Communication
Sent: Fri Nov 08 00:33:34 2013
Subject: AMSA website contact us form

Name:
Chris De-Vene

Email:
cjdv@aanet.com.au

Phone:

Company:

Postal:

datRec:
communication

Subject:
GME epirb fault

To whom it may concern, ive just read on a forum [ ausfish] about the GME epirbs purchased between 2005 to 2010 having a fault with a microprocesser,I was woundering if this should have not been a recall for these Epirbs,if I had not have read this on the forum I would not have know about it,so many others don't no about it,I would have expected a email to alert me about the problem,has anyone from AMSA been notified about this from GME.regards Chris De-Vene.

Submit:
Submit

If you have received this transmission in error please note that that
error does not constitute waiver of any confidentiality, privilege or
copyright in respect of information in the e-mail or attachments and
any use of this material is prohibited. Please notify the sender by
return email and delete all copies of this transmission and attachments.

cormorant
08-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Better take the waterproof sat phone with you and ducktape it to the epirb with a bit of foam so you can call in and say " it don't work"

" I'm 60 miles offshore can you come and fix it as my boat just sunk" " I need you to come fix it so I can set it off and get rescued" " i'll just be here treading water till you can manage to get a product to do what it says it can do" " Thanks "

I think pissweak is the word by all involved.

fishing111
08-11-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm really amazed by this thread as i would have thought it would have generated a lot more interest. What good are warranties these day's ?

Imagine if Heinz said that some bottles of baby food had glass shards in them ( very few isolated bottles mind you ), but just told people to keep a look out for the shards. Would that be acceptable, or would Heinz clear the shelves immediately?

GME should take some responsibility and replace every model under warranty!

Just looking at my box and it comes with a 6 year warranty, GME may as well make it a 100 year warranty for all it's worth!!

cormorant
08-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Yeah when you read about the choice awards and many won't kill you you must wonder if this is the sort of thing that qualifies? I wonder if they were aiming at battery replacement time to quietly do a upgraded board or just issue a new unit with the same codes programmed so no one was any wiser. Most companies have insurance against faults and recalls and yes i know ultimately by making a song and dance epirbs may become more expensive I'd rather that than be floating with no one coming when I trigger the epirb as a last resort.

http://www.choice.com.au/media-and-news/media-releases/2012-media-releases/2012-shonky-award-winners.aspx

chris69
08-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Alls i know is that my next EPIRB wont be a GME epirb

As i had to pay a premium for my GME epirb when the shortage was on and not long after the price dropped back,they would have cleaned up when the had to have date was running out,and still to this date not one alert have i seen or heard on tv or radio as the AMSA has stated in the email.

WalrusLike
08-11-2013, 01:37 PM
What I want to know is:

If mine tests ok today will it work tomorrow?

In other words is this a 'hard on' fault or an 'intermittent' or 'potential' fault?

(I do realise that _any_ item can work today and yet fail tomorrow.... what I mean is ignoring other potential faults, does this fault always produce a unsuccessful test?)

chris69
08-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Well i think that is the $99 question for all of the GME epirb owners,but as you say anything can work now but no the next time but this is a emergency device so it should be bullet broof for its expected life span thats what i paid for.

Chimo
08-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Just tested mine and it works as it should. If I ever need to use it it will probably work then too and if it doesn't there's always the phone.

In the meantime the sticker is in date and the light flashes and the beeper beeps so on to the next issue.

How many have tested theirs and found it not working?

Lucky buggers will probably get a free new one with an extra quota of lifespan.

Cheers
Chimo

WalrusLike
08-11-2013, 03:24 PM
But Chimo is the safety advice saying its a intermittent problem?

If so then your test today doesn't mean it will work tomorrow.

But I suspect this is actually a 'if your test works then your microprocessor isn't one of the problem ones' kind of thing.

In that case you and I, and anyone else who has tested theirs, can rest easy. I hope it's that kind of issue and not the 'you never know' kind...

fishing111
08-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Don't think that's right Walruslike, as all the units would have been tested at the factory prior to shipping, which suggests to me that it can happen at any time. Just because you tested your unit 5 minutes ago is no guarantee it will work in 1 or 2 day's time, as if that was the case we would have heard of the fault way before now. Add to that that most people would have checked there unit out at purchase while putting it in there boat, and those unit's would have tested correctly, otherwise as i said we would have heard of this problem way before now.

WalrusLike
08-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Yeah good points there 111.

Rats.... now I am not quite as confident in the unit.

Chimo
08-11-2013, 04:22 PM
I like your assessment WalrusLike better than fishing111 and I was leaning that way with a phone backup but what if f111 is closer to the reality.

Is the authority AMSA, / consumer affairs / ? / going to insist that all the sus EPIRBs are replaced or are they confident that no family is going to sue after a loss at sea that could have been prevented with an operational EPIRB?

I for one would be happier with that if the intermittent fault is such that either it works or it doesn't as per my hope and WalrusLike's but F111 has a point and this needs to be addressed.

Perhaps this issue still has a little life in it yet..

Cheers
Chimo

rat_catcher
08-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Yeah seems like lots of unknowns. But for a few hundred bucks, I think it is worth getting a new EPIRB vs risking my life!

LittleSkipper
08-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Me personally I think warranty's aren't worth the paper there written on. Manufacturers these days include the word warranty so we buy there product on the proviso that we would think they will honour said warranty on whatever product you've bought. What a load of crap! Welcome to the 21st century of manufacturers shafting consumers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ozscott
16-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Thing is GME is a good Aust company. You dont know what the warranty backup is like until you try...if you are not happy with the state of things there was an email address on that ssfery alert doc. Can I suggest that expressing in a reasonable way your concern about possible failure in the ultimate safety device on the vessel might lead to a favourable response...

Cheers

Chimo
16-11-2013, 08:14 AM
I've talked to them direct in Sydney on another matter and found them reasonable and to be willing to help. Often best not to throw the baby out with the bathwater IMHO.

fishing111
16-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Ozscott/Chimo ,i agree with your comments of the softly softly approach if it is in regard to some speakers, or a tv , or some other generic item which is not to be relied on in an emergency ( all companies, not just GME ). However, GME know there is a problem, and only they know the true extent of the problem. The public at large i believe shouldn't even get the opportunity to exercise some restraint on this issue, as GME should have acted responsibly and replaced every unit in the affected period, therefor cutting it off at the pass. If GME needs the public to tell them that there Epirbs are not up to scratch, then GME are well and truly in the wrong business.

lee8sec
16-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Thanks for posting, i wouldn't have known other wise.
Pretty poor effort considering its a mandantory safety item. Mines in the dates & tests ok. Guess i will never buy another GME unit. Leigh

docaster
16-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Pretty poor effort by gme either way you look at it. Could be a way to boost new sales ie. buy a new one. If so i think they cut their own throats. Sinc it is a life saving piece of gear it should be recalled, if the brakes on your car may fail <please test before you drive in traffic> i don't think so! WOULD BE A RECALL

Any_Weather
16-11-2013, 08:24 PM
G'day guys, I read this post a few days ago and never remembered to test my unit which falls into the dates shown. On Thursday night when about 60km offshore I thought, oh there it is, I should test it. Well it didn't work!!!!! I didn't want to alarm my crew but tested it numerous times over the night ( in the bracket)and no working. I thought I must chase that up as soon as I get home. Today I removed the epirb to have any numbers I will been when I contact GME. When I got the unit out of the bracket and tried again it worked?? What I have found is that when the arial is in its natural hanging state, it works, but if the arial is bent in either the forward or backward direction, even the slightest bit, it fails???
I guess I need to contact them and see what they say but I would think the test button should work no matter what is going on with the arial?? What if you guys reckon?

Thanks
Lee

docaster
16-11-2013, 09:00 PM
G'day guys, I read this post a few days ago and never remembered to test my unit which falls into the dates shown. On Thursday night when about 60km offshore I thought, oh there it is, I should test it. Well it didn't work!!!!! I didn't want to alarm my crew but tested it numerous times over the night ( in the bracket)and no working. I thought I must chase that up as soon as I get home. Today I removed the epirb to have any numbers I will been when I contact GME. When I got the unit out of the bracket and tried again it worked?? What I have found is that when the arial is in its natural hanging state, it works, but if the arial is bent in either the forward or backward direction, even the slightest bit, it fails???
I guess I need to contact them and see what they say but I would think the test button should work no matter what is going on with the arial?? What if you guys reckon?

Thanks
Lee
G'day Lee, Just tested mine, and it does the same! Weird thing. Let us know how you got on. I will ring too.
John

docaster
16-11-2013, 09:09 PM
G'day Lee, Just tested mine, and it does the same! Weird thing. Let us know how you got on. I will ring too.
John
Ok, i had a thought. So i held the white plastic tip while i tested it with the aerial bent over and it tested ok. Stuffed if i know, earthed aerial out or something. But i guess you weren't holding the aerial bent over in the boat?
John

rexaway123
16-11-2013, 09:33 PM
I think there is a magnetic seal while it is In bracket

ozscott
16-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Pretty poor effort by gme either way you look at it. Could be a way to boost new sales ie. buy a new one. If so i think they cut their own throats. Sinc it is a life saving piece of gear it should be recalled, if the brakes on your car may fail <please test before you drive in traffic> i don't think so! WOULD BE A RECALL

Who said anything about BUYING a new one....why not email them like I recommend above...;)

Cheers

fishing111
16-11-2013, 10:03 PM
AW, Rex is right in that there are magnets in the bracket, and i'm pretty sure that your only supposed to test them while out of the bracket, so that may be why it wasn't testing correctly. Not an expert by any stretch though.

Edit...AW just tested my unit in the bracket with the aerial folded, and with it upright, and it tested correctly both times, so not sure what the go is with your unit.

Any_Weather
17-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Cheers guys, will be sending an email today and wait and see what they have to say. Will post when I get a reply.
Lee

Sandman
17-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Well I only stumbled onto this thread, will also test mine. Will look at an additional epirb for back up rather than havering to do a MacGyver.

rat_catcher
17-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Who said anything about BUYING a new one....

I said I would buy a new one, as my life is worth more than a few hundred bucks with an EPIRB that has an unknown serviceability.

ozscott
17-11-2013, 09:35 AM
I said I would buy a new one, as my life is worth more than a few hundred bucks with an EPIRB that has an unknown serviceability.

Mate we are at cross purposes I think. The new GME's dont have that problem...if you write to them on the email address they may replace your old one with a new one.:)

Cheers

Crunchy
17-11-2013, 12:18 PM
I just tested mine in the bracket, no-go....out of the bracket, all good. The instructions do say remove from bracket to test so I guess there is indeed some sort of magnetic switch to prevent accidental activation while in the bracket (eg from splashed water).

fishing111
17-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Now i'm worried about mine, as i guess it shouldn't test in the bracket?
My unit beeps and flashes when i'm in the process of pulling it out of the bracket, without even pushing the test button. It also tests correctly when i push the test button, so i don't know what the go is.

Crunchy
17-11-2013, 01:52 PM
In the bracket mine flashed but only once and no beep, a successful test is double flash double beep.

fishing111
17-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Just went and did again to make sure Crunchy, and i get 2 flashes and 2 beeps in the bracket and out of bracket, and in the bonus round of getting the Epirb out of the bracket i get 2 & 2.

Crunchy
17-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Strange, but that's a successful test!

fishing111
17-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah seems odd to me Crunchy in that AW's won't test at all in the bracket, you get a flash, and i get 2 flashes and 2 beeps. I would would have thought that they would all behave the same in the bracket.

benji64
17-11-2013, 03:30 PM
mine is a KTI I think .could not find GME on it anywhere but it did flash and green light and beep so hoping ok . is there a KTI brand????????

fishing111
17-11-2013, 03:34 PM
http://kti.com.au/radio-beacons/

Kinetic Technology International
1 Kembla Street, Cheltenham VIC 3192, Australia
Tel: +61 (3) 9583 9566 | Fax: +61 (3) 9583 9805 | ABN: 50 058 419 695
Contact Us | Privacy

benji64
17-11-2013, 05:27 PM
cheers fishing 111 ,just wanted to be safe .pretty poor explanation by GME in my opinion as well

rat_catcher
17-11-2013, 07:32 PM
What other brands are there that are worth looking at to replace the GME?

ozscott
17-11-2013, 07:35 PM
I wonder if other manufacturers are aware of problems and stay stum. Gme told me at the peak of manufacturing failure rate it was .12 per cent. I think GME have been honest whether you like the lack of bulk replacement or not. They have my support.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

RayLamp
17-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I have a MT403G (yellow) with the water activation feature. I think the self test for these would need to be out of the cradle. As a comparison, the MT400 (orange), doesn't have it, therefore it could test in the cradle or out ( I am guessing).

You wonder if all models are affected?

The web site for the MT403G reads:

"The MT403G also includes a water activation feature. Once it has been removed from its mounting bracket, the MT403G will activate automatically on immersion in water. Of course you can also activate it manually if required. "

SatNav
18-11-2013, 08:34 AM
http://kti.com.au/radio-beacons/

1. FYI the above radio-beacons link as posted above are not EPIRB's as such as being discussed here.

ozynorts
18-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Is this a better link DotPoint?
http://kti.com.au/epirbs/

Any_Weather
18-11-2013, 02:16 PM
G'day guys, sent an email to gme yesterday to explain my drama and received a phone call today. The outcome is, no question about replacing unit!!!!! Gave me an address to post my unit to and they will extract the appropriate data to send to amsa and send my new unit via courier all on the same day. Should be less than a week turn around. I will post mine off tomorow and let you know when I receive my new one. A very good service I thought.

Thanks
Lee

ozscott
18-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Excellent. Same result as me. This is why I was urging people to write to them.

Cheers

fishing111
18-11-2013, 04:50 PM
That's good that you got it sorted AW & ozscott. Out of interest what was wrong with your Epirb ozscott?

ozscott
18-11-2013, 05:08 PM
For me nothing - just a loss of confidence in it. I give full credit to GME with acting the way that they have done in dealing with individual customers over it.

Cheers

trymyluck
19-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Like wise if you have some concerns about this issue talk to GME, I'll happily buy GME again.

Mark

fishing111
20-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Would i be correct in saying that you have had an outcome the same as ozscott Mark?

SatNav
20-11-2013, 08:26 PM
1. All this is starting to have warts all over it? Why should every individual have to individually and personally have to make an approach to get a hearing and possible replacement?

2. If there is a known defined time frame and obviously there will be batch / serial numbers etc involved between such a year and such a year then every one of those units proven suspect or otherwise regardless of current tests must be replaced with known fit for purpose hardware.

3. For such a critical piece of safety equipment requiring very specific certification and to miss replacing just one of these units is one unit too many. This is not the fault of the purchaser but the purchaser in this case is expected to "fix" their own problem, that is if they are aware of the problem in the first place.

4. Considering the purpose of these devices where has there been any large scale advertising on any media to make this issue known to all and sundry?

Muddy Toes
20-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Ummmm............

Did I just read.......??

The tone of this response?
Could it actually be.........you know.......

Helpful????

ozscott
21-11-2013, 07:36 AM
1. All this is starting to have warts all over it? Why should every individual have to individually and personally have to make an approach to get a hearing and possible replacement?

2. If there is a known defined time frame and obviously there will be batch / serial numbers etc involved between such a year and such a year then every one of those units proven suspect or otherwise regardless of current tests must be replaced with known fit for purpose hardware.

3. For such a critical piece of safety equipment requiring very specific certification and to miss replacing just one of these units is one unit too many. This is not the fault of the purchaser but the purchaser in this case is expected to "fix" their own problem, that is if they are aware of the problem in the first place.

4. Considering the purpose of these devices where has there been any large scale advertising on any media to make this issue known to all and sundry?

Satnav these are good points. Most on this thread have agreed that there should have been a different approach. Again though I think some manufacturers may not have alerted anyone at all. The alert is on the GME website. When approach even with a unit that has not failed GME happily replaces with a 2013 one that doesnt have the risk of failure discussed in the alert. What I am saying is that short of a full recall, which clearly they are not going to do, they are replacing units that have not failed and the known failure rate (and yes the actual rate could be higher) is one tenth of one percent. If we keep our shirts on and approach GME we get a new one and that is worth a lot these days - by in monetary terms and in terms of manufacturer's doing the right thing (the definition of right thing is variable and their actions fit within the spectrum in my view).

Cheers

fishing111
21-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Ozscott i contacted GME in regard to my 403G yesterday, and no offer was made to "happily replace" even though it is in the affected period stated by GME. I must admit i didn't put the words in GME's mouth as in asking for it to be replaced due to a loss in confidence, as i wanted to see what GME would do without being prompted. However the intent of my call was a loss of faith in the product. I will contact GME again and specifically ask the question.

Satnav these are good points. Most on this thread have agreed that there should have been a different approach. Again though I think some manufacturers may not have alerted anyone at all. The alert is on the GME website. When approach even with a unit that has not failed GME happily replaces with a 2013 one that doesnt have the risk of failure discussed in the alert. What I am saying is that short of a full recall, which clearly they are not going to do, they are replacing units that have not failed and the known failure rate (and yes the actual rate could be higher) is one tenth of one percent. If we keep our shirts on and approach GME we get a new one and that is worth a lot these days - by in monetary terms and in terms of manufacturer's doing the right thing (the definition of right thing is variable and their actions fit within the spectrum in my view).

Cheers

ozscott
21-11-2013, 09:37 AM
Yes mine was happily replaced my 4 year old one without drama after I told them I had lost confidence and was looking for it to be replaced. Given that it is not a recall I dont expect them to volunteer replacement to anyone who simply contacts them for more information.

Cheers

SatNav
21-11-2013, 10:09 AM
1. These devices are not your everyday toaster, jug or TV recall, they are a critical piece of safety equipment which could mean life or death and in most cases a legislated requirement.

2. In life and death situations the monetary considerations should have absolutely no bearing on calling a recall or not and really the question re a full recall must be asked.

3. Considering what these devices are used for the GME website link is simply not good enough to alert every user to the issue as even missing one tenth of 1 percent of the users just could be the life and death situation. At the very least GME should have approached AMSA who have all the details, all the makes/models, all the serial#'s, all the UIN's, all the contact details and notify each and every registered owner. No personal details would go to GME, AMSA would handle the correspondence the same as for registration so there are no privacy isues with this either.

4. And just to reiterate the most important point again, the details are available and every registered user MUST be contacted re this matter. Anything less than this considering the purpose of the devices in question falls a long way short of due and considered obligations.

ozscott
21-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Satvav why not take these points up with AMSA ?

fishing111
21-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Wasn't exactly for more information, more for conflicting information in my case. I believe the intent of my call was clear, however maybe he didn't pick up on it. While i appreciate your a happy camper ozscott, i like to see a company do the right thing without having to be prodded, and I wonder what your stance would be if you didn't get your unit replaced?
Would you be happy with the one tenth of one percent quoted, and was that the failure rate in the manufacturing process, or a guess of the unit’s out there in our boats which could fail? (don’t expect you to answer, as you wouldn’t know)
Don't take this as a dig at you Oz, as it's not my intention, however if GME are going to be selective in who's units they will and won't replace, well then that concerns me. It is also of concern to me all the people that don't even know about the alert, together with some out there that get a heightened sense of security knowing they have an epirb on board, and push the limits and go out on day's they really shouldn't (yes i know not GME's problem) .

Yes mine was happily replaced my 4 year old one without drama after I told them I had lost confidence and was looking for it to be replaced. Given that it is not a recall I dont expect them to volunteer replacement to anyone who simply contacts them for more information.

Cheers

ozscott
21-11-2013, 10:48 AM
I know what you arw saying...please see post 3 on page 1. I am a happy camper NOW :) and posted up originally to alert people and also hoping that I and everone else in this community could get re dress . Cheers

fishing111
21-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks for that oz, and i appreciate you notifying and making us all aware, so sorry if that didn't come across.

ozscott
21-11-2013, 11:02 AM
All good mate

docaster
21-11-2013, 10:01 PM
I think what most on here are saying is owners should be notified. I have just in the last few weeks, re registered one epirb and registered another that came with a boat i just bought. There was no mention from AMSA about the problem. Since i think the majority of epirb owners would not be on any forum gme are leaving themselves open to huge lawsuits if the shit hit the fan, knowing of a fault and not telling people about it. Very rare to have complete access to all owners for contacting them.

fishing111
22-11-2013, 08:20 AM
This thread has generated 3,440 odd views on the biggest forum to date, which would be a fairly small percentage to the amount of unit's sold. I have flicked through Fishnet and did not notice any mention of the GME alert, so i would think that there would be a lot of people unaware.

rexaway123
22-11-2013, 08:37 AM
the biggest forum in Sydney is all aware I posted it there

Sandman
22-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Could someone direct me to where I could locate the alert on their site ? I have just had look and it's not in plain view. Regards

fishing111
22-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Sandman the alert is on the bottom right corner when you pull it up.

Any_Weather
27-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Gday guys, I received my replacement EPIRB yesterday so it was 1 week turnaround from me posting my old unit to receiving my new unit. The bonus was an expiry date on 01/2020 and then a free battery replacement for a further 6 years!!! Cant complain about that for service.

Lee

ozscott
28-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Mate good result. Did you have a model that was eligible for a free battery replacement that was then replaced? I couldnt see that on the GPS version on their website...

Cheers

ozscott
28-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Found it - http://www.gme.net.au/products/emergency-beacons/battery-replacement/REPLACEMENT

That does not apply to the water activated GPS model that I have. I dont know why, but the different battery types might have something to do with the decision or it could just be marketing.

Cheers