PDA

View Full Version : New to boating - where to start...

Ozwatson
06-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Hi all, from the outset I'll say I'm pretty much a complete boating virgin, and this forum looks like a good place to start before we take the plunge, so to speak.

Background & intro: Officially middle aged, never owned a boat, wife, 2 pre-teen boys. Just completed the training and got my marine licence this week (Brisbane). Not quite sure how it happened but we've suddenly been bitten by the urge to buy a boat and get out on the water.

Type (& budget)? Well, this has evolved from a sub $5k tinnie up to nudging $20k and now settling in around the $12-15k mark. Use will be family cruising on the bay, some fishing, towing the kids on tubes. Not really into open water, no overnight.

What we are looking at: Wifey is keen on the bowriders, but they tend to be more in the $15-20k from what I've seen. A few cuddy cabins around but not convinced on practicality, especially climbing through to access the anchor. I'm probably leaning more towards an aluminium Qunitrex style with lean through screen. Pref 4 stroke, 60hp or more.

My big question:

I'd like some comment on the overall cost of boating (aside from the usual response - if you have to ask you can't afford it). I want to be sure we are allowing enough at purchase time for things like - inspection, rego, insurance, stamp duty, fix a few things - figuring to allow maybe $2k on top of purchase price for this.

What about ongoing costs - insurance, rego, service, repairs,etc. Another $2k /yr?

While we are really keen to get into boating we don't want to end up in a situation where we can't afford it and then left trying to sell it. Contemplating hiring a bigger boat now I have a licence to try it out and get more ideas. There looks to be a couple here in Brisbane.

Ok, enough writing. If you got to the end, thanks for reading and all comments/questions/opinions would be gratefully received.

cheers
Andrew

dluxv6
06-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Hi Andrew

Mate try BOAB boat hire they have boats exactly what you want and best way to find out before buying is to try, on the goldy,bribie and Redcliffe so not to far away from u
http://www.boabboathire.com.au/
Cheers Drew

Ozwatson
06-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Thanks Drew, I had a chat with the Boab guys at the marine expo on the weekend. Was very useful. I've also been looking at these:
http://brisbaneboathire.com.au/
http://www.smartpowerboathire.com.au/
Strangely I kind of like the idea of the tow & drive as it will give me a taste of handling the boat on the ramp as well as on the water.

solemandownunder
06-11-2013, 12:17 PM
Hmmmmmmmm...Beer & chips at the ready 8-)

Crunchy
06-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Welcome (soon) to the world of boating Oz, a great family pastime. All I can say about the cost of boating is add up everything you can possibly think of and then double it.

Still_Dreamin
06-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Beware boat stands for Bring Out Another Thousand ;)

BGG
06-11-2013, 01:01 PM
My best advice is to buy as new as you can. This will limit the immediate repairs and upgrades you need to do. It may not tick all the boxes but the quickest way to put the family off boating is to have a failure on the water. Kids get scared, wife hets dirty and the next thing you know, the boat is up for sale or causing arguments. When the family is comfortable with the whole scene, then you can consider upgrading to a rig that ticks all the boxes.
Also, with little or no experience, I'd steer clear of glass boats. They can be damaged quiet easily if you don't know what you are doing. Aim for a new or near new 4.5 metre rig and enjoy.

liltuffy
06-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Welcome Andrew, tis a noble pastime and worthy lifestyle you choose to join. If you are the outdoorsy type your greatest archilles heel will be the weather. For the activities you mention you want light winds, sunny days and warm waters, unforunately they often don't coincide with free time, but when they do man you have some great family memories, it's very easy to become addicted.

Costs depend on the skills you have the rig you buy. If you are mechanically minded you could do your own maintenance and servicing - it's not that difficult and it depends on the amount of use you get. A hundred and someting bucks a year for trailer rego, about the same for boat rego, about three times that for comprehensive insurance plus of course fuel.

Take your time, visit a few dealers and see if they take an interest in your needs, do some searches on their reputation, a lot of Ausfishers don't hold back on their experiences but most of all buy something not much more than half a dozen years old. If you are unfamiliar with the pitfalls an older rig may contain a few unwanted surprises.

Cheers

Craig

Ozwatson
06-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Aim for a new or near new 4.5 metre rig and enjoy.

Something like this, you reckon? 40hp enough for tootling around Morton Bay or pulling a tube?

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15881655&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=10&eapi=2

BGG
06-11-2013, 01:31 PM
That general style or even a tiller steer.
I'm not sure about the towing. I've never wanted to get out of a perfectly good boat and feed my bits to things with teeth. Also, check out the cost of insurance if you want to tow/ski.

BGG
06-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Here's one with a 4 stroke. I'd say the best brand of 4 stroke but that night start a tornado.
Just sayin'............................................ .......
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15853379&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=22&eapi=2

thelump
06-11-2013, 01:39 PM
Just jump in the deep end Andrew and buy a big bugger straight up. Sure as s$%t will be wanting a bigger boat not long after the bug bites. Boats like the one in your link are great for putting around the bay checking things out but as your experience grows so will your sense of adventure and you will be wanting to head further afield. Something like this for instance
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15846500&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2

Ozwatson
06-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Something like this for instance
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15846500&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2

lol. I can just see the kids on their tubes behind this. Might be a squeeze to fit in the back yard though.

thelump
06-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Mate you could drag the whole neighborhood around with that. But I was serious about going bigger the first time. When I first moved to QLD I had a 4.5m tinny. I used to take the family over to Peel island in it all the time in summer and it was fine. The issue was after a day at Peel the kids were pretty buggered then travelling back across the bay in the summer N/E slop was a real PITA. Kids just wanted to have a kip. Bit hard in a 4.5 tinny. So it was gone and an 18ft cabin boat was purchased. Haven't looked back. Worth some thought as the Bay isn't always the most pleasant for a small aluminium boat! Especially in summer those afternoon sea breezes really chop the bay up. Good luck either way. It is an awesome past time.

Crunchy
06-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Be aware that with the little Bluefin 4.5 there would be some pretty uncomfortable trips back from an outing on the bay. Nothing wrong with the boat brand but just it's going to be a tad on the small size for a lot of the afternoon see breezes that stir up on the bay.

Ozwatson
06-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Kids just wanted to have a kip. Bit hard in a 4.5 tinny. So it was gone and an 18ft cabin boat was purchased. Haven't looked back. Worth some thought as the Bay isn't always the most pleasant for a small aluminium boat! Especially in summer those afternoon sea breezes really chop the bay up. Good luck either way. It is an awesome past time.

I understand. Went out on the training boat on Sunday from Redland Bay and got drenched. 100m back from the water there was bugger all wind. This is why we started looking at half cabin or bowriders. Missus likes the bowriders but they do seem to be a bit more pricey. Plenty of half cabins around but they do tend to be older in the price bracket we are in. So it becomes a trade off between newer tinny with less problems, cheaper running vs older half cabin with more power/comfort but maybe more problems/expense.

thelump
06-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Yeah mate that's the issue. Look hard enough and you will find one that suits mate. Was it Paul or Dennis doing the license?

Ozwatson
06-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Was it Paul or Dennis doing the license?

Paul did the course. Derrick took us on the boat as they had to split the class.

Tangles
06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
With a wife and kids i would go straight to a cuddly, fit a port potty and hang a small curtain if needed…..and expect a few scratches also, glass or tin or plate you will scratch and dent it. Go as new as you can afford with the motor and go as big as you can afford in hull and motor.

The bay can get up pretty quickly and that cuddly will serve you well with wind, spray and shelter. Also every boat is a compromise, on that awesome still day a bow rider would be great, if it blows up and your coming home you'll be wishing for a cuddy.

Chimo
06-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Oz

Watched the thread for a while and good to see you have fairly quickly moved past the open tinny / bowrider style for family use in conditions that to put it mildly will put the family off very quickly. IMHO you need shade and shelter options and a loo and reasonable HP to cope with the things that will befall you and yours.

There are lots of boats to choose from. All have their good points and most have a few negatives. You need to compromise and select one that ticks your boxes which you will identify and refine quickly as you go.

If you are a cowboy and don't look after your things buy a rough tinny with a cuddy cab but if you do look after your gear and want something that will give you a nice soft ride and protection when you need it buy a fibreglass cuddy cabin boat. Fibreglass has a life span of some 50yrs and thats in the nuclear industry so there is no good reason to ignore frp boats with a few years careful use. These can give you the best bang for your buck especially if they have a newish low hr motor on them.

Check this out as an example http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15957349&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=5&eapi=2

Happy hunting

Cheers
Chimo

nathank
06-11-2013, 04:12 PM
If you look hard enough you will get a great boat for 12 to 15..As for the bow rider config, if your going on the bay and it gets choppy like everyone else says.. if you guys haven't had a boat before i think it might scare the wife and kids and possibly yourself as well.. biggest boat you can afford i say, not necessarily the "prettiest one" ;)

WalrusLike
06-11-2013, 04:48 PM
On a windy sunny sunday arvo go the Northern entrance to Manly boat harbour.

At the end of the road, on the rock groin you can watch the boats come in.

Now look at the boats wobbling all over the place in the sharp chop and boat wakes and imagine your wife and kids in a bow rider.

So now you've decided on a cuddy cabin.... :)

That boat Chimo linked to looks good and would suit your needs. Once you've been to Peel Island on a nice day you will definitely want to be out on the open waters.

I've never met a boatie who didn't want to go farther and farther afield. You will too. A cuddy will give you a bit of security on those days that the weather tricks you into being a long way from harbour with a lumpy sea to navigate.

Argle
06-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Left field question - where do you envisage doing most of your boating? Bay/Broadwater/Rivers/Dams - everyone (rightly so) talks about the Bay blowing up etc etc but what if you dont plan on going out in the bay proper and only plan on doing the Pin/Broadwater/River/Dam? Different strokes as they say.....

Cheers
Scott

Chimo
06-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Andrew

just re read your first post and noted your concern about reaching the anchor. Never fear this is not really an issue.

All you have to do is tie off the the anchor warp (rope) to the bow bollard so you are anchored ie 3 to 5 times the water depth.

Next tie a loop (with a bowline knot) around the anchor warp / rope and secure the other end to the rear bollard of the boat.

When you wish to lift the anchor simply motor slowly forward as normal but instead of going to the bow simply pull the anchor warp to you at the rear side of the boat and hand over hand the rope, chain (at least the length of the boat) into a bin that you had under the rear seat. Easy.

When you go into deeper water you will add a float and a ring to retrieve the anchor but that's for later!

Happy boating, your nearly there..

Cheers
Chimo

Jeremy
06-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Left field question - where do you envisage doing most of your boating? Bay/Broadwater/Rivers/Dams - everyone (rightly so) talks about the Bay blowing up etc etc but what if you dont plan on going out in the bay proper and only plan on doing the Pin/Broadwater/River/Dam? Different strokes as they say.....

Cheers
Scott

This is a very good point. There are lots of spots North and South of Brissie where you can enjoy some time on the water and tow a tube and not have to worry about the breeze picking up - Jumpinpin, Pumicestone Passage, Southport broadwater, etc. Larger boat can be a problem in these places with deeper draft. Do some research about where you think you will do most of your boating before you splash out.

I would personally advise you to buy second hand. Buyers market at present and you can get a great boat for a fraction of the new price. Second hand boats also usually come with lots of extras you would otherwise have to buy - anchor and rope, depth sounder, nav lights etc. Get one with a late model outboard and get it checked out properly - or a really old one and repower the boat with a new outboard yourself.

Cost of running it per year - allow $500+ for annual service and probably another $500 for general maintenance and another $1000-$2000 for accessories you will want to buy/upgrade.

Good luck with your search

Ozwatson
06-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for all your comments and feedback so far. Has been really helpful and hopefully will steer us to working out exactly what we want. Definitely a great investment joining the forum.

On the question of where we plan to go? Hmm, well despite living in Brisbane/Gold Coast for most of my life, I really haven't been out on the bay so I don't actually know it particularly well to know where we might be headed. I guess this kind of makes it difficult to work out what kind of boat we need, but without a boat to explore, well you get my drift. I'd like to do some fishing, wife - some fishing/cruising, kids - tubes. Been mainly thinking the bay and down towards the broadwater I guess. Haven't really thought about rivers or dams so much. Still thinking a hire for a day first up to get a feel and be sure the whole family is still keen.

As a matter of interest, what's a new outboard worth? Say 100 - 125 hp 4 stroke? Seen ads lately offering over a grand off so I'm guessing they aren't cheap. Also what would a new trailer cost for a 5m half cab? Saw an ad for a nice looking boat but it didn't come with a trailer.

thelump
07-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Andrew you are looking just north of 15k for a 115 4 stroke. Just out of curiosity what is your location? If you include it on your signaature/profile thingy then it definitely helps with questions later on!

Ozwatson
07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Andrew you are looking just north of 15k for a 115 4 stroke. Just out of curiosity what is your location? If you include it on your signaature/profile thingy then it definitely helps with questions later on!

Based in Brisbane (southside). Profile updated.

Argle
07-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Head to the newsagent and grab a copy of the "Beacon to Beacon" its basically a UBD type directory for the waterways. Gives you a great guide to the area from the Tweed River all the way up to Bundaberg and shows nav marks points of interest as well as names of certain areas which will make it easier to understand where some of the places are that people on here are talking about.
Also shows you location of boat ramps etc and is a pretty handy tool for the novice to assist planning your trips.

Get out and about and check out different types of boats places like Northside Marine/Springwood Marine/John Crawford Marine usually have a pretty diverse range, climb in imagine how much room you will have when you add fishing gear watertoys eskies etc all of this will help aid your decision - do you want to be able to stand up while driving? I know I spend most of my time driving the boat standing up as sitting down is either uncomfortable or does not enable me to see all that well (vertically challenged person) so take that into account too.

Some of the smaller forward steer tinnies will be bloody uncomfortable to stay seated in any sort of chop whereby if you could stand you can use your knees to soak up the lumps and bumps.

See how much fun boating is already!! You wait till you actually buy a boat!!

Cheers
Scott

Ozwatson
07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
grab a copy of the "Beacon to Beacon"

Thanks Scott. They showed us this at the training - will probably grab a copy this w/e. Are the roll out charts worth having as well? I assume you can buy them at the boat shops? Or are there cheaper sources?

Chimo
07-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Andrew

"Some of the smaller forward steer tinnies will be bloody uncomfortable to stay seated in any sort of chop whereby if you could stand you can use your knees to soak up the lumps and bumps."

Which is why one finds the fibre glass units more comfortable and forgiving.

If your considering standing to drive then what are you subjecting your wife and kids to?

Also although a somewhat touchy subject consider your wife's upper body comfort if your going to be thumping and bumping around in a tinny (big or small) and as suggested you can stand up, while hanging onto the steering wheel she at best is going to need one hand to hang on to a grab rail and the other one to hang on to her.

Just buy a good second hand decent sized, softer riding, cuddy cabin style boat with as big a motor as you can and let the family enjoy safe comfortable boating from the start.

If you you lose them at the beginning you may never get them back!

Cheers
Chimo

Nslfishing
07-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Also although a somewhat touchy subject consider your wife's upper body comfort if your going to be thumping and bumping around in a tinny (big or small) and as suggested you can stand up, while hanging onto the steering wheel she at best is going to need one hand to hang on to a grab rail and the other one to hang on to her.

Great point Chimo. Was watching a playback on the gopro I have mounted on the dash and the missus was gettin thrashed around while I was standing rather comfortably. I didn't realize how bad it was for her. Must admit though I was in tears of laughter watching the video. Next time I reckon she'll stand up.... Maybe. :)

Cheers Nic

Ozwatson
07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Hmm. Wouldn't have even thought about the "bounce" effect but excellent point. This is the stuff they just don't tell you in the brochures.

Chimo
07-11-2013, 12:01 PM
So Nic

Have you posted the vid yet?

C
C

Nslfishing
07-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Haha. I would, but who would cook my meals and wash my clothes. Lol

Chimo
07-11-2013, 12:20 PM
I think I understand...........................

Ozwatson
07-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Nuther question. The majority of boats we are seeing seem to run 2 strokes. Is that a deal breaker? I've been told they are noisy(er), smelly(er), and suck more fuel (plus oil) so more expensive to run. Would you dismiss a boat because of this or is it propaganda?

Nslfishing
07-11-2013, 12:40 PM
I got a 90hp two stroke and it's not that bad I reckon. But I've never owned a four. Buying oil all the time sucks but.

lbger
07-11-2013, 01:20 PM
hey Oz for charts mate... If you have an iphone.. download the navionics app.. costs bugger all and basically converts your iphone into a GPS.. It all i use on my boat and will let you know the channels and boating "highways" 30 bucks or so compared to 500 plus for a gps unit.. otherwise a combo sounder/gps unit is the go.

Nslfishing
07-11-2013, 01:23 PM
I second the navionics app. It's worth every cent

Cheers Nic

ozynorts
07-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Hey Oz,
I went through a lot of this last year. Firstly as you are looking at a boat for the family ask your self what sort of people are they. Adventurous or cautious? If they are adventurous then a bow rider or small tinny might get the job done but if they are cautious and your wife is going to be concerned about the kids copping waves to the face etc then that style of boat may not work.
2 or 4 stroke is a never ending question. Firstly there are 2 types of 2 stroke. The first is the old school carburettor style. These are the ones that are referred to as noisy, smelly and use a lot of fuel.
The second is called direct injection 2 stroke. The two main ones are Evinrude ETEC and the Mercury Optimax. There are others but these two are the most common. These are quieter (ETEC especially) with less or no smell and very fuel efficient but you need to buy specific oil which can get expensive. Some people love these types and others don't, personal preference.
Lastly there is the 4 strokes. These are quiet, no smell and very fuel efficient. They are however more often than not heavier and more expensive to buy than 2 strokes. I prefer 4 strokes but own a carby 2 stroke.......
There are positives in all 3 types of motor. I have found that with mine the smell is something that my family really dislikes and it really affects the youngest.
As for seeing a lot of boats with 2 strokes, that is because older boats only had them as a motor choice. Newer boats have all three as it is again the personal preference of the buyer and cost is often a big reason for choosing a carby 2 stroke over a 4 stroke.
As for what style of boat and size, well the best way is to go and look and climb all over them and see if they are big enough for you and the family.
For instance this boat is a very well regarded boat and it comes with a near new 4 stroke. http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15885835&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=10&eapi=2
However my feeling is that you may find it a bit small for all of you. Only by looking at it with the family will you know.
This one is another very well regarded boat, powered by an old school 2 stroke but would be a great size for the family.
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15853505&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=1&eapi=2

Happy hunting
Ozy

WalrusLike
07-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Apart from noise and smell..... both of which are either not an issue or a deal breaker according to your preferences.... one thing that was said to me once about 2 or 4 stroke choice....

Do you want to pay for the travelling up front or over time?

The money you save in fuel economy is already spent in up front cost for a four stroke. Also the servicing costs are higher so taking it all up, the economy issue might not be as significant as you imagine.

Having said that... After a while the upfront cost is dealt with and forgotten and its a matter of the days outing cost to your pocket.

Heavier is definitely a potential factor but diminishes as you go up in boat size.

All up a four stroke will make it more enjoyable perhaps.... but we love our boat and motor even if it is a 2smoke. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cormorant
07-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Not sure if I missed it in the posts above but what car do you have as whatever you buy you need to tow it comfortably and get it up the ramp. Storage at home is the other issue. The easier it is to get out and put away and if undercover the more it gets used and easier it is to clean and maintain. The trailer hasn't got much of a mention but once you go over 750kg in weight you will have a trailer with brakes and that requires extra maintenance and a check on purchase to make sure it is in good condition. It is about the whole package.

Make sure you get someone experienced to go with you when you have narrowed it down on what to buy and especially for a on water test . After you buy go with a experienced mate - just the 2 of you and sort out the launch and retrieve nice and calmly and give teh boat a good run and check all is OK and what does and doesn't work. If all Ok invite wife and kids down to a safe pick up place and go for a slow run so they are happy and drop them back. then you and mate retrieve the boat and go home.

Your experienced mate will help check your safety gear and confirm it is all OK if you get a police check while on the water. .

We all still do dumb things on and off the water or at the ramp. Laugh about em and ask for help early so small stuff ups don't become dangerous and learn. Most of it is just being shown once the right way to do things and a bit of common sense. Write a checklist.

Encourage the wife to get her license and kids as well ( yep you want your turn on the tube!!!!) . Involve yourself in the local club as it is all not about on the water and you learn lots off the water. and

Ozwatson
07-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Not sure if I missed it in the posts above but what car do you have as whatever you buy you need to tow it comfortably and get it up the ramp.

Mitsubishi Challenger. 2250kg towing (from memory) and 4wd so shouldn't be a problem.

Chimo
07-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Andrew

Do you have a favorite boat motor mechanic / marine tech?

As you zero in on a boat having your chosen marine tech check over the motor with the implication that he is going to be servicing it tends to ensure that you don't buy a lemon motor. People on here can help with some choices as you get closer.

The trailer (brakes, tyres, lights, frame, winch etc) and boat tend to have a more visible presentation so there should be less potential surprises. Check the transom by tilting the motor up and swinging on it. If there is any movement in the transom keep looking...........

Boat shopping is always fun.

Cheers
Chimo

ozynorts
07-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Apart from noise and smell..... both of which are either not an issue or a deal breaker according to your preferences.... one thing that was said to me once about 2 or 4 stroke choice....

Do you want to pay for the travelling up front or over time?

The money you save in fuel economy is already spent in up front cost for a four stroke. Also the servicing costs are higher so taking it all up, the economy issue might not be as significant as you imagine.

Having said that... After a while the upfront cost is dealt with and forgotten and its a matter of the days outing cost to your pocket.

Heavier is definitely a potential factor but diminishes as you go up in boat size.

All up a four stroke will make it more enjoyable perhaps.... but we love our boat and motor even if it is a 2smoke. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good points here but when buying second hand the upfront cost of a 4 stroke isn't as much of a factor but the cost of refuelling is imo. It costs me between $200 and $250 for a reef trip with my motor and that would be halved with a 4 stroke.

Chimo
07-11-2013, 03:17 PM
But servicing costs for the old carby two strokes are very much less than for four strokes so unless your doing really big long distances runs the two stroke still ends up cheaper.

Also todays fuel is not all that good. ULP goes off quite quickly and if you mix two stoke oil with it even quicker. All fuel injected motors really hate water in the fuel while the old carby style puts up with both stale fuel and some water.

If your not doing lots of hours you can put up with any motor but with an old one that just goes and goes there will probably be less potential for expensive repairs and maintenance. By the way I run a couple of two stoke carby motors and I know my mates with smaller four strokes spend a heap more than me on their motors.

C
C

Ozwatson
07-11-2013, 04:03 PM
ULP goes off quite quickly

Actually this came up in the training. When I prompted about it they suggested it is a good idea to drain the tank and run it in the car if not going out on the boat for more than a couple of weeks and put in fresh fuel next run. But if the fuel is mixed for 2-stroke - can't run that in the car.

Still_Dreamin
07-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Oz, I went to moreton two weekends ago and the forecast was 10 knots all day ( on sea breeze,bom,wildly weather) glass all the way over. Wife and kids had a ball moving around the boat. At 1100, 15 kn NE rolls in by the time we packed up and headed back to Scarborough it was 20 kn and gusting more than that. Plenty of white horses and very uncomfortable. Kids (5 & 3) feel asleep on couple of bean bags in the cuddy cabin and the wife and I stood the whole way home to absorb the chop. The cuddy cabin earned every cent that day!!

cormorant
07-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Actually this came up in the training. When I prompted about it they suggested it is a good idea to drain the tank and run it in the car if not going out on the boat for more than a couple of weeks and put in fresh fuel next run. But if the fuel is mixed for 2-stroke - can't run that in the car.

The size motors you are talking are oil injected so the oil is in a separate tank and only injected into the carby/ fuel as it is used. As long as it isn't ethanol I wouldn't have a issue of using 1 month old fuel as long as it is properly stored as long as you aren't overloading your motor. If you know you won't be using it for a period , yep is easy run it through the car or you can use fuel preservatives if in a harder to empty underfloor tank.

gford001
07-11-2013, 05:10 PM
Oz, I went to moreton two weekends ago and the forecast was 10 knots all day ( on sea breeze,bom,wildly weather) glass all the way over. Wife and kids had a ball moving around the boat. At 1100, 15 kn NE rolls in by the time we packed up and headed back to Scarborough it was 20 kn and gusting more than that. Plenty of white horses and very uncomfortable. Kids (5 & 3) feel asleep on couple of bean bags in the cuddy cabin and the wife and I stood the whole way home to absorb the chop. The cuddy cabin earned every cent that day!!

I bought an older Caribbean half cabin. Everytime we go out I end up with the 2 youngest kids sleeping all the way home. That bit of shelter is great for the little ones. Haven't had much interest in overnighters yet, but just for the dodgy weather or longer trips, the bunks are great.

Chimo
07-11-2013, 05:27 PM
But if the fuel is mixed for 2-stroke - can't run that in the car.

Andrew if you get one with premix I can use it my 1973 car that needs leaded petrol and the two stroke goes well in it. just let me know and we can arrange for collection. No charge to you either............

Cheers
Chimo
GOM but here to help!

deckie
07-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Yeah i agree with the guys saying to steer clear of the teeth rattling tinnies. Runabout types in particular force you to sit whilst underway and for the uninitiated try to imagine driving on the worst corrugated dirt road with a skateboard at 40kph...if its smooth you;re fine, but with wife and kids you;re likely to up and out late morning when the wind is only just starting.
Luv any sort of shleter/cabin for family...plus teenage boys like a bit of risk and adrenalin. The ability to throw them around on a biscuit or just flying along in smooth water keeps them coming back. Yours might be a bit more adventurous than the typical trophy types i once had a bad habit of marrying...but in general women i reckon dont like to get their hair wet and like a bit of comfort. Make it easy to get on and off is also a factor...not just at the ramp but at the local beach u want to pull up to. Standing up whilst underway can be so much more comfy and a cuddy delivers that but runabouts dont in general.

Wouldnt be concerned about managing a slightly bigger glass rig...teen boys make excellent help at the ramp steadying the back of the boat up to their thighs in water.

So...4 onboard ? Women plus early teens ? Bay work, but possibly branching out to close offshore later when experience is gained...a 4.6-5m ish f/glass cuddy would be the go to me. In fact its hard to beat them as the perfect all round fun and fishing rig for the experienced boatie as well.

Can start with a 2stk but a 4stk is terrific if u can stretch to it...yes it is louder and does use a bit more fuel and oil which costs, but a 4 stk will cost more up front and cant service yourself so no real savings. Would rather get the boat right than worry about 2stk or 4stk at the start...just make sure its not underpowered and u get flexibility.
Steve.

Ozwatson
07-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey Steve. Thanks for the tips.

AnthonyL
08-11-2013, 12:24 AM
We had a blufin bowrider for 5 years and it was a great first boat for the bay. It was a bit thumpy compared to a glass boar but we got a lot of use out of it.

When you get your boat and venture out for the trip make sure you have membership with VMR or Coastguard. I couldnt count the amount of people we have been called out to who were in trouble on their first trip. It is much cheaper to pay the membership and have the security if something goes wrong as it can be costly to get a tow back without it.

Ozwatson
08-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the tip about VMR. What about your radio? I understand you need a radio licence. Do most people have that our don't they really enforce it?

ozynorts
08-11-2013, 07:14 AM
You don't need a licence to buy one, only to use one...

Fed
08-11-2013, 07:40 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SEAFARER-VIKING-5-5-metre-CUDDY-CABIN-/251371354427
I admit I'm a seafarer zealot.

Chimo
08-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Nice rig and ready to go, Just needs Qld regos

Cheers
Chimo
PS Luv the new hardtop..............(on my Vag)

Ozwatson
08-11-2013, 08:20 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SEAFARER-VIKING-5-5-metre-CUDDY-CABIN-/251371354427
I admit I'm a seafarer zealot.

It does look nice - one of the boats I keep coming back, although it is straining the budget a little. I actually did work experience at Seafarer when I was at school, so if you have one built around 1984 with bubbles in the hull - that was probably me not rolling it down properly. Disgusting work - don't recommend it.

On the radio thing, so you all have a radio licence right? Where do you get that? Is it just a form to fill in and some more cash or do you have to do a course?

So much to learn. Aaarrrggghhhh. Doing my head in...

deckie
08-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Forget the radio licence for now.
If u can, first trip try to hook up with someone who's a bit experienced and go somewhere well travelled. Put the phone number for the VMR into your mobile coz it will work if in built up area. there are actually 2 types of comms radio u can have...27meg is the old type being phased out and no license required but still 100% good enough for emerg calls if you arnt a distance offshore or a long way from help...and no license required. VHF is clearer and worth investing in one day but check your local rulebook...in NSW it isnt even required unless 3km offshore. The VHF does require a license.
Check your mobile coverage on first trip out tho...many are surprised how good it is these days, but it might also be crap ;D VHF is a good investment, just not a priority yet i reckon.

Saw that seafarer Fed put up...if u can stretch it to that kinda thing u wont regret it and wont want for more for years to come. Great rig. Teen boys are excellent on the winch too...good for them.

Argle
08-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Thanks Scott. They showed us this at the training - will probably grab a copy this w/e. Are the roll out charts worth having as well? I assume you can buy them at the boat shops? Or are there cheaper sources?

Personally I do not carry the charts with me in the boat (I do have them at home) and I use them for researching an area as they show depth contours etc. For in the boat I have the Beacon to Beacon and the GPS with a compass as a back up. I have found these to be more than adequate as well as easy to use (size etc)

As with anything you can look at online sources for charts but i prefer to be able to go into a shop and snoop around at lots of other bits while I am there!

Cheers
Scott

Jarrah Jack
08-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Both the Seafarer and the HH that Chimo put up look to be very good deals. You would still need to get the boats checked by an expert because if something were to go wrong your budget would be blown out of the water, so to speak.:)

Chimo
08-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Andrew

Listen to Jarrah Jack, he's not just a pretty face!

C
C

LittleSkipper
08-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Gidday Andrew.

I'd like to mention another make of boat that was not mentioned in this thread as it appears most either have aluminium or glass boats, there is also Polycraft. Some say they are a wet boat but what boat doesn't get wet these days? Lol!

These boats are awesome on the water, have a soft ride, incredibly stable at rest and are so easy to repair, manufactured from rotationally moulded polyethylene plastic.

If you drill a hole in one to fit a bracket and then decide you want to move it somewhere else you just take a small heat gun/torch to the holes drilled and watch the holes magically close up and seal themselves. Then take some white fine sandpaper to finish the job.

If you gouge or put deep scratches on the boat you again take a heat gun to it with some polyfill obtained from Polycraft.

Try and do that in an aluminium of glass boat?

There website is www.polycraft.com.au

The maintaining of these boats is very minimal, you won't get transom rot like you would in a glass boat nor metal fatigue like an aluminium boat.

The only real maintanance is your galvanised trailer, wheel bearings etc.

Good luck with whatever choice you make?

Wayne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Ozwatson
08-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Thanks Wayne. I have read a bit about the poly's and certainly have nothing against them. They seem well rated. Do they do a half cabin? Haven't seen any in the price bracket we are in.

LittleSkipper
08-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Mine is the Brumby Cuddy Cabin, not quite half a cabin but nonetheless a cabin to shelter from the elements. I guess the bigger boat you go the bigger the price range?

If and when you decide on the boat of your choice try a place called Someset Dam, it's a magical place for boats and families. It's a great place to try out your new boat without the stress of a congested public boat ramp.

Bear in mind Andrew whatever boat you buy and how much your willing to spend will be an investment of a lifetime cause boats don't depreciate as much as cars do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

tunaticer
09-11-2013, 06:16 AM
I agree with Wayne, a polycraft would certainly be a good choice for a first family boat.
The ride is better than the tinnies, they are more durable and adaptable than glass boats, there is no corrosion or rot problems with the hull and they are easily repaired when damaged.
They are not commonly for sale but that could also mean that people that have them do not want to upgrade them either. Second hand pricing is quite good from a buyers perspective.

Ozwatson
09-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Hi again. Once more, thanks for all the brilliant posts. Hopefully a final(ish) question before this thread moves on, does anyone have a recommendation for a pre-purchase inspection in the Brisbane area? Found this guy from a google search. Sounds ok but word of mouth is worth so much more:

http://www.completeboatinspections.com.au/index.html

Having some fiscal reality checking at the moment which might see us go for something older/cheaper for a first boat. Keep to sheltered waterways, dams, rivers, etc. See if we like it, get the basics, then upgrade later if we want to step up.

Chimo
09-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Andrew

If your going to aim for older and cheaper which is fine, grab a pre-injected carby 2 stroke ie carby engine which is a simple motor, cheap to service and run if you don't try and set speed records. If you go fibre glass which IMHO will give you less stress and more comfort as long as you do the primary test on the transom (lift motor and swing on it with all your weight and check there is no movement) before you get the rest of the boat, trailer and motor fully tested ( even compressions etc) by your marine technician.

Plenty to choose from with 2 strokes which as said before are fine, just keep an eye on fuel and oil. You can run the cheaper TCW-3 oil in these and its cheap cf to the whiz bang DI stuff.

See these.......
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15852296&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=9&eapi=2
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15849094&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=38&eapi=2
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15851396&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=9&eapi=2
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15853306&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=10&eapi=2
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15930761&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=12&eapi=2 and
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15905946&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=17&eapi=2
And this with a 140 newish motorhttp:// www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15850769&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=24&eapi=2
And so on http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14489593&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=25&eapi=2
Cheers
Chimo

stesseltank
10-11-2013, 11:12 AM
NEW TO BOATING

I was new boating as well some 7 years ago ,first boat 4.95m stessl centre console 60 hp 4 stroke yamaha i was lucky with this boat as nothing has ever gone wrong and still have the same boat today,this boat is easy to launch and retrieve by myself,Yamaha starts first time every time ,only down side the boat does not like too much chop in the Bay and it can become uncomfortable trip back if i leave it too late
First thing to learn to check the weather wind is the main thing to watch,go out early and come back early as the bay changes after midday because if you go to say Moreton island it might take a hour to get there but if it chops up as it usually does in the afternoon it will take three times longer on the return trip unless you want a new backbone,watch your sounder as you can run aground in the middle of the bay during low tides. Keep the boat undercover if possible when parked make sure you wash the boat and trailer and flush the motor after each use(also if the trailer has brakes make sure you flush them well if not they will lock up and need replacing as i found out )i always pay extra attention to flushing the brake area after each trip now.
Boat ramps have your boat ready to launch/retrieve and don,t waste time at the ramp as this is ideal spot for boat ramp rage,Many boaters go out early and are tired by the time they return to the ramp and the last thing they want is someone stuffing around trying to launch or retrieve a boat most boaters are very helpful but if you go off to have a smoke while your boat is in the way or take ages to get your trailer in the water they will not be happy.
Finding good fishing spots will take time you can,t just stop anywhere in the middle of the bay and hope to fish
catch fish unless you are very lucky.
I love fishing/boating if the weather is OK i go out each weekend excellent hobby/pastime gets you out in the fresh air love it
PS remember to join the volunteer coast guard in your area yearly fee covers you if you need a tow etc about $60.00 yearly
Cheers

fisho8
10-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Oz

Watched the thread for a while and good to see you have fairly quickly moved past the open tinny / bowrider style for family use in conditions that to put it mildly will put the family off very quickly. IMHO you need shade and shelter options and a loo and reasonable HP to cope with the things that will befall you and yours.

There are lots of boats to choose from. All have their good points and most have a few negatives. You need to compromise and select one that ticks your boxes which you will identify and refine quickly as you go.

If you are a cowboy and don't look after your things buy a rough tinny with a cuddy cab but if you do look after your gear and want something that will give you a nice soft ride and protection when you need it buy a fibreglass cuddy cabin boat. Fibreglass has a life span of some 50yrs and thats in the nuclear industry so there is no good reason to ignore frp boats with a few years careful use. These can give you the best bang for your buck especially if they have a newish low hr motor on them.

Check this out as an example http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15957349&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=5&eapi=2

Happy hunting

Cheers
Chimo

That is a lot of boat for the money I started with a boat this size used to take over to tangas and all around the bay Haines make great boats and this one would be well worth having a look at. It is a lot of info to take in mate that is for sure I have changed boats twice now and each time has done my head in trying to get things right have a look at that 4.5-5.5mtr range and you should find something to suit also pick a brand or brands you like and research them. One I found....Good luck mate and welcome to boating!!!.

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15852169&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=10&eapi=2

tjotter
11-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Hi,

I was in your position earlier this year.

re $, I agree with BGG re "...buy as new as you can";
there are savings not buying too old.

If you go Alloy, you might pay 30% extra for a known name eg quintrex/stacer.

Have a good look at trailers, 1/2 the boats I looked at had problematic
eg trailer had 13", plate said 10" wheels;
no brakes & boat 800Kg;
chronic rust; etc.

Consider spending $25 for Mags/Seamedia online magazine &
$11 for Jeff Webster second hand boats 1990 - 2005.

Cheers.

MrNanks
11-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi,
The boat attached is on sale on boatpoint. It is my neighbours and I would definitley buy it if I was in the market again. I reckon it is a lot of boat for the price. It would suit for skiing, fishing bay and offshore and offers good protection for kids and gear if the weather turns nasty.
I know the canopy is brand new. The rocket launcher and canopy is worth $5k.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15853213&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=5&eapi=2

Anway, jjust my opinion and an option.

Good luck. It is by far my favourite pastime.
Cheers Dave

Ozwatson
21-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Hi all, me again. After much looking, changing minds, changing back again, we are hopefully settling on what we want and a couple of candidates. We saw this one a few weeks ago and keep coming back to it so probably top of the list:

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15848409&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=57&eapi=2

It's a Whitley Sea Legend, seems a good size with plenty of protection for the family, decent rear lounge with good access from the back without climbing on the seats. Decent size motor - should be good for skiing or just getting back home. Price fits the budget. Wife reckons it had a crack in the screen (I didn't notice). What are the chances of getting a curved screen on an older boat? Buckleys to none? Just live with it? Any opinions on the boat?

A couple of others on the list:

Looks really nice but just pushing the budget a bit far:
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15853213&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=5&eapi=2

Again, looks nice and price has dropped although not sure about the more enclosed cabin with no windows - might be a bit claustrophobic:
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15957349&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=7&eapi=2

And there are a few others still on the list still. Here are a few of them:
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15954521&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=23&eapi=2
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15905952&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15910582&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2

All being well we will have the dosh in about 3 weeks so getting close enough we should be able to put a holding deposit on (subject to money arriving) and get inspection out of the way. On that, any recommendations for independent inspection in Brisbane?

Thanks again, you guys have been a great help. Hopefully see you out on the bay by Christmas.

cheers
Andrew

solemandownunder
22-11-2013, 01:25 AM
Hi all, me again. After much looking, changing minds, changing back again, we are hopefully settling on what we want and a couple of candidates. We saw this one a few weeks ago and keep coming back to it so probably top of the list:

http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15848409&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=57&eapi=2

It's a Whitley Sea Legend, seems a good size with plenty of protection for the family, decent rear lounge with good access from the back without climbing on the seats. Decent size motor - should be good for skiing or just getting back home. Price fits the budget. Wife reckons it had a crack in the screen (I didn't notice). What are the chances of getting a curved screen on an older boat? Buckleys to none? Just live with it? Any opinions on the boat?

A couple of others on the list:

Looks really nice but just pushing the budget a bit far:

Again, looks nice and price has dropped although not sure about the more enclosed cabin with no windows - might be a bit claustrophobic:
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15957349&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=7&eapi=2

And there are a few others still on the list still. Here are a few of them:
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15954521&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=23&eapi=2
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15905952&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=15910582&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=2&eapi=2

All being well we will have the dosh in about 3 weeks so getting close enough we should be able to put a holding deposit on (subject to money arriving) and get inspection out of the way. On that, any recommendations for independent inspection in Brisbane?

Thanks again, you guys have been a great help. Hopefully see you out on the bay by Christmas.

cheers
Andrew

No matter WHAT rig you end up with M8...Paully (AF member, FatBuoy), owner of Sailfish Marine at Tingalpa is your man for all window related needs.

Cheers, Ray.